turning mrbear into a mountain!

Love it!!

Your right about the face down incline curl, much better contraction, did something similar myself tonight with the function multi cable machine, leaned right forward into it and maximal contracted for 2 sets of 8-12 seconds. Felt awesome.

Yes mate, when multiple muscles are working in concert, it produces more of a metabolic effect leaving you systemically fatigued for days. I would also (based on my own experience) argue with the notion most people have that compound movements release more growth hormone. When you take a muscle and maximally overload it in its position full contraction you'd better believe theres going to be growth hormone released.

For shoulders I use a machine lateral raise and a rear delt flye machine, but results can still be had with DB laterals...BUT...done heavy. Like so..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jEF-u4ntt2Q

For rear delts, I recommend bent over one arm cable rear flyes, same principle as in the video.

Enjoy those doms mate;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, did have some DOMs not alot but some, and it was nice! saw my mate earlier who i see all the time, and he asked me if ive had pec implants haha so the HIT must be working.

really like the isolation type HIT training going to stick with this for a while and perfect it. Your right with the growth hormone i think Rob, not that im a scientist or anything but your body knows overload it doesnt know 'oh they were only bicep curls im not going to produce much this time'.

i think we should get together and write a book on all our training and experiments/ideas we've done over the years pal.

Now your talking, need a sexy title though....I got it....the max pink resistance band workout, snap back into the best shape of your life in just 10 minutes a day lol. Comes with a bonus pair of flip flops;)

All joking aside, I honestly believe theres far too much info on the topic these days, on TV, the Internet, magazines, youtube etc, most of which is pure marketing bullshit, It does nothing but cause confusion. All that ever need to be written on the suject was written over 100 years ago by pioneering physiologists like Roux, Petow, Siebert, Lange who discovered the muscles growth is due to intensity of effort...and the intensity and volume co exsist on an inverse ratio.

Roux put it brilliantly "hypertrophy results from an increase in the intensity of work done in a unit of time, whereas the total amount of work done (volume) is without significance".

There were many other very reputable physiologists you also came to the same conclusions, including Arthur Steinhuse, regarded as the godfather of western physiology, and two of Germany's most respected physiologists, Erich Muller and T.L. Hettinger. These men all found that it wasnt repetitions, it wasnt the pump, it wasnt high volume workouts, its wasnt hitting a muscle from a half dozen angles that made test subjects bigger and stronger, it was the intensity of effort, and "the overcoming of a greater resistance in a unit of time". Everyone since then has really just parroted these men.

Sorry, a long winded ramble lol

haha you can be on the cover with the pink bands aswel if you want ?

Ill look up some of those names, would be interesting to read some older info, dont worry about the ramble, feel free here i like learning new stuff....

Was thinking while i was loading trailers with a digger in work today (its boring and dont have to think much lol) about training with like 1.5 rep maxs as a set. say you can bench 1 rep of a 100kg but you try for another and get 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up and fail after a massive effort. Or maybe make it 2 reps so its easier to calculate the next workouts weight. i was thinking it would decrease the volume even more, and still get you to fail or do you think its better to decrease the volume by just doing static holds etc? Thats the only thing with HIT training, is i spend more time trying to find harder and different styles all the time theres not much you can do with conventional programs really is there or you wont have any energy left for your 30th set

btw have you been to see any bands in the year or so since we spoke last?

Only if I can wear the flip flops:))

Old research yes, but the discoverers made by those men are irrefutable physiology facts, dictated by the laws of nature, and apply to all. For info on those guys the max contraction training book and advanced MCT book are great. John Little also did a brilliant interview recent enough on the coperate warrior site, it in he keeps reffering to the works of the above names, in particular Muller, its his findings that the MCT system is based on. Muller conducted dozens of individual studies in the 50s to find which protocol produced the best size and strength increases in the sortest time possible, after 10 solid years research, he concluded that a 1-6 second maximal contraction of a muscle, preformed just once per week yeilded superior results to any other protocol he'd tested.

Unfortunately this information never really filtered down to the people who could make the best use of it, instead we got "more is better", "too much is never enough", "thou must squat", "only free weights build muscle, machines just define", "muscles must be worked from every angle", "thou must use a full range of motion" complete nonsense....

Personally I opted for static holds, time and tension along with the intensity of effort and progressive overload is what counts, but if your limited by equipment, then id say as long as you reduce momentum and null out as much non muscular body torque as possible, then itll become pure muscular effort, id also recommend accentuating the negative portion of the rep.

Havent been to any concerts in ages mate, but my eldest nephew got a gig as security at download the lther week, £12 an hour to be on the same stage as several huge rock bands....major job satisfaction lol.

yeh thanks mate only just started eating today so got a few pounds to put back on but most of it will be dehydration i think, bring on the big portions i think they must have reheated my rice or something not ever been that sick i dont think. bastards.

glad to hear all is good with you. ah the dreaded weight training plateau, do you think its is training or food problem? never hurts to eat a bit more

food and sleep.

started eating more this week. =)

it never hurts to eat a bit more !

Got rained off from working outside today so made the most of it and went to the gym this morning and did a upper body HIT routine. Havent been in there for a long time. 1 warm up, one working set per bodypart.

bench press

lat pull downs (quite happy to get the whole stack for 12 reps)

tricep pressdowns

cable with rope attachment bicep curls (i like the supination of the hands with the rope)

cable side laterals (one side at a time)

all done to total failure and carried on going until the reps were only a couple of inches of movement, apart from bench press.

DOMs inbound tomorrow i think

cheers pal

legs today.

calves press 260kg

leg extensions with static holds at 100kg

leg press to finish with feet high to hit the hamstrings a little.

havent done leg properly for a while pretty tired afterwards HIT takes alot out of you when doing legs.

cheers mate yeh they sure do, good if you take a few steps back from the machine too so the cable is really pulling your hands away from your body in the contracted position.

did another workout on friday which i think is too much as im acheing like hell today and been really fatigued all weekend, really been enjoying it so maybe ive got a bit carried away. it was high intensity and less demanding more isolation type exercises than i had done earlier in the week. never mind couple of days off now and let the growth commence

chest and back on tuesday, got DOMs from hell today i cant straighten my arms or raise them past shoulder height. only did 1 set of bench to failure 100kg 11 reps......not happy at all with that. then close grip pull ups for 14 reps with 6 negatives straight away, think they are the pain culprits! going to do legs on the wkend.

havent had time to do legs, hopefully going to do them tomorrow. Been having some good forearm work from a 9 inch grinder in work. my hands were aching this morning after 9 hours of grinding rust yesterday. will be hitting upper body at the end of the week hoping to improve on my bench press or i wont be happy

gym highlights today.....bench 100kg x 12 improvement so im happy (eight days after my last workout)

leg extension 120kg x 18 with a static hold to failure at the end. machine doesnt go any higher so just going to have to keep upping the reps.

Alrite big Rob i had a look around the leg extension machine its covered in steel mesh with only a little slit cut out to get to the pin.....gutted, thanks though. ill just have to work out a pre exhaust program or something as im having this problem with most of the machines now haha.

did legs wednesday which i logged here then i hiked up snowdon on friday with sore legs, bad idea! sunday now and they are still really hurting. its 4.5 miles eachway and gets pretty steep with gravel slopes and big never ending rock steps. its the highest mountain in wales with amazing scenery, have a google if anyone is interested. looking forward to upper body on wednesday