Get Ripped or Die Trying

Thursday, August 25, 2016:

Insanity Warmup

Kinda crapped out on training today. Had a really early start to my day, which was pretty stressful overall. Took some time to study up for this interview, which was well spent over getting in a full training session. Have some company coming into town this weekend, so I doubt I'll be able to train much on Saturday. Maybe I'll force myself to get it in early and over with. Otherwise, I'm glad tomorrow is Friday.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Monday, September 12, 2016:

Pull-up Day

80 pull-ups.

Wow can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I've posted. Took last week off pretty much for vacation. Did manage some hiit work in the mornings but spent most of the time walking - about 12 miles per day. Felt good to get on the bar today though. Re-dedicating this week, maybe incorporate some weights into things, at least on legs.

Holy feck, 80 pull ups, I can only dream lol

Go anywhere nice on your vacation mate?

Heh, yeah my pecs and lats are sore as hell still from Monday. We went to Washington, DC, which is the nation's capital. Lots of history, museums, monuments, etc. Saw some well known politicians, and I interviewed for a job that I really hope I get. Would require a move, but we are both ready to get out of here at any cost, really. HOpe you are well buddy!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016: T25 Lower Body Focus DVD

Wednesday, September 14, 2016: T25 Upper Body Focus DVD

Well I never thought I would actually try these DVDs my wife ordered, but they aren't all that bad. Sure, it's far less intense than Insanity, and nearly half the time, but I still managed to break a sweat. Hell, when I woke up today my legs were screamin. I guess you could make these more difficult by adding heavier weights, but the fact is that you are moving the entire time - so at least it is still intense. Anyhow, these are a nice break from the all-out killing it I was doing, and they at least give me a decent shot at completing a workout while working these crazy hours - yesterday was 6a - 5p and then 7p - 9p... Today was 6:30a - 5:30p. One thing I have been experiencing which is really annoying is this sharp pain in and around my traps, usually after doing pushups or boxing, or even shoulder press. It makes it hard to focus and complete any exercise. I'll look into it myself, but maybe some of you have thoughts?

Holy feck, 80 pull ups, I can only dream lol

Go anywhere nice on your vacation mate?

Heh, yeah my pecs and lats are sore as hell still from Monday. We went to Washington, DC, which is the nation's capital. Lots of history, museums, monuments, etc. Saw some well known politicians, and I interviewed for a job that I really hope I get. Would require a move, but we are both ready to get out of here at any cost, really. HOpe you are well buddy!

No wonder they were sore lol. Sounds nice, love city breaks, I gotta get myself across the pond. Hopefully all goes well with the interview mate, fingers crossed for ya:)

Saturday, September 17, 2016:

Shoulders/Back

1. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

2. Shoulder Press - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Front Raise - 3 x 12/arm @ 25lbs

4. Row - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

5. Bench Delt Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Lat Raise - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs

First day under the weights in a month, and took it at an easy pace. It was just ok, but I think I actually prefer the dynamic training of bodyweight/hiit. I certainly seem to make better gains that way. Maybe just lifting allows me to be a little lazy or lessen the intensity. Anyhow, I plan on watching football for as long as possible today--and I'm already off to a good start. Still really tired from this past week, so maybe that explains my lack of motivation to really hit it hard today. I'll pick it back up next week. Have a good weekend!

@ Rob - thanks for the good thoughts buddy!

Monday, September 26, 2016: 60 Pullups

Tuesday, September 27, 2016:

Cardio/Legs Day

1. Insanity Warmup - 10.5 Minutes HIIT

2. T25 Lower Focus DVD - 25 Minutes Plyometrics

Well I guess I'm stuck on doing the T25 videos for now, since I just don't really have the energy or motivation to grind out a full on Insanity workout, much less get under the weights for some "real" training. Better than nothing, I suppose. I will say that I do wake up sore as hell from these videos, so they aren't a total joke. Maybe I just need something different. I trained both last Thursday and Saturday. Thursday was a cardio day, and Saturday was all weights for shoulders/back. Personal-wise-- I didn't get that job in DC - oh well. Probably a blessing in disguise since we would've had to give up pretty much everything of our lives and move into a shoebox for nearly the same price as our house. F That. Honestly, after going there, visiting, coming back and getting some clarity, I don't think I would accept even if they called back late in the game. A sign of maturity, perhaps, to carefully weigh potential options. I also made a huge decision that I was going to unburden myself of worrying constantly about where we would end up and what job I would have and how I would pay off my gigantic student loans. There's no real point in worrying like that, and it is so damn tiring on the body/soul. I'm just going to focus on doing my job well, spending as much quality time with my wife as possible, and let the river run its course. At least we can still visit the places we love, and have enough to not go without. Could be much worse.

Back tomorrow with chest/arms, I think.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016:

T25 Lower Body DVD

Wednesday, September 21, 2016:

60 Pullups

Really tired today, both eyelids twitching from fatigue. Didn't intend on training but squeezed in some pullups while snacking on pretzel sticks. Back at it tomorrow.

"Eyelids twitching from fatigue" lol....love it, no wonder though:)

Sorry to hesr about the DC job, but a like your thinking, roll the dice and let the chips fall were they may

best

Rob

Monday, October 3, 2016:

1. 80 Pullups

Tuesday, October 4, 2016:

Legs

0. Insanity Warmup - 10 Minutes HIIT

1. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 255lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Long Jump - 3 x 12 @ 35lbsst

This was a pretty solid session. I have come to realize that I absolutely need active cardio in my regular routine to burn fat. Otherwise, I get chubby--fast. I also realized that this was the first time in almost two months that I've stepped under the bar for squats. I really wasn't doing much with weights at all throughout the end of the summer, but I think I need to change up again, but make sure to keep the HIIT cardio. I think I'll do that every day, and then dedicate 3 days/week to weights, and the 4th day just cardio. Lot of pressure at work lately giving me lack of sleep (eyelid twitches, really tired all the time) which I can tell is affecting my stamina. Been thinking about Penny a lot lately. I miss her so much--it's just not the same. Anyhow, that's enough for me tonight.

@ Rob - thanks bud, it was a bummer to lose out, but hindsight man is 20/20 for sure. So far I've enjoyed my new freedom in just letting things unfold before my eyes.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016:

Chest / Arms Circuit

(3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

0. Insanity Warmup - 10.5 minutes HIIT

1. Offset Raised Pushups x 30

2. Drag Curls x 12 @ 100lbs

3. Decline Close Grip Bench x 12 @ 100lbs

4. Hammer Curl x 12* @ 70lbs

I should probably be doing 4 rounds since I'm only doing 4 exercises, but the warmup really takes it out of me. It's 3 rounds of 7 exercises for 30 seconds each; each round done faster than the first. Exercises are: jog, jumping jacks, heisman move, 123 heisman move, buttkicks, high knees, and these mummy kicks. By the third round you're doing these as fast as possible. It's the same general premise on each of the DVDs in the set, but with some different exercises thrown in depending on what the focus of that DVD is. I think it's a great tool to use when changing things up, as it is definitely a drastic change from the typical lift/rest session. Otherwise, today was alright. Another busy day at the desk, and I am really looking forward to a day of rest coming up soon. Not sure if I'll be able to train on Saturday because a friend is coming to town; might have to do some entertaining.

Monday, October 10, 2016:

1. Pullups x 70

Tuesday, October 11, 2016:

1. T25 - Lower Body

Not a real crazy couple days training-wise, but I've been working a ton lately so I am pretty tired by the end of the day. Doesn't leave a lot of room for extended workouts. It should stay this way through at least the first week of December, which is kind of awful to say out loud. Thinking about these cases I work on is really taxing, but makes me appreciate my life more I think. My life is much simpler, which I am pretty proud of, and there is no crazy bullshit going on which is great. I do pretty much live for the weekends, though. Ok, that's enough for one day. Off to bed.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016:

Chest / Arms

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

2. Drag Curls - 3 x 12 @ 100lbs

3. Pushup Jacks - 3 x 20

4. Tricep Extension - 3 x 12

5. Decline Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Cross Curl - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

Thursday, October 13, 2016:

Cardio Day

1. Row - 1500m

2. Box - 2 x 3 minutes

Pretty good training the last couple days. Fun to get in a complete weight day, and haven't been under the bench like that in a long long time--like two months or more. I still need to add in plyometric or aerobic stuff to keep heart rate up. Was a pretty hectic day at the office, but I came home with more energy than usual which was nice. Chilly weather out this morning, which is good by me but I'm not looking forward to winter. Food has been on track lately I guess, but cereal in the house is my main enemy. Been taking psyllium husk just before bed which makes things nice and predictable each morning. Honestly, I really think the added fibers helps flatten the stomach by keeping bloating down. So pumped for college football this weekend! There are going to be some great matchups on Saturday. Hope I can watch them all. Resting tomorrow, and shoulders/back on Saturday.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016:

Full Body Day

0. Insanity Warmup - 10 Minutes HIIT

1. Incline Pushup - 2 x 25

2. Burpee/Deadlift - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Pullups - 2 x 12

4. Single Leg Squat - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

Well this week is kind of a bust. Had a trial Monday through today, which meant I was working 12-14 hour days, so I'm completely without energy. I intended to do 3 sets of the above, but just had nothing in the tank after two. I'm just tired and overworked. Looking forward to a nice weekend trip though, which should be fun. That's about all I've got for now. Bedtime comes early tonight.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016:

Legs

1. WarmUp - 8 Minutes HIIT

-

2. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 265lbs

3. Squat Jump - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

-

4. Burpee/Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

5. Stair Jump - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs

-

6. Box - 4 Minutes

Well this kicked my ass and was done in about 35 minutes. No real rushing, just keeping things uptempo and intense. Got to be honest and say that the HIIT stuff is growing a little bit old. I think I'll mix in more traditional weight exercises and keep plyometrics involved for caloric burn and cardio. Also, considering getting rid of the rowing machine and acquiring a treadmill. If I think back to when I was my leanest, I was running between 1-2 miles before lifting, and then doing high reps and lower weight. I'd love to get back to that weight. Anyhow, first order is to start focusing more on diet. My diet has been pretty lazy over the last few weeks. I can sense it is starting to catch up. Better reign it in before it gets to holiday season and I have no chance of survival! Anyhow, that's all for tonight. I might actually watch the Cubs game tonight, unless there's a decent football game on.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016:

Chest / Arms

0. Warmup - 8 Minutes HIIT

-

1. Bench - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

1.5. Stair Shuffle - 3 x 30 seconds

2. Hammer Curl - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

-

3. Incline Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

3.5. Stair Shuffle - 3 x 30 seconds

4. Close Grip Curl - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

Mixed it up a little again tonight. I think I'm really going to try to do different things each session. That will keep it interesting, and hopefully non-adaptive. I feel like one of my biggest weaknesses is that I fall into routines and my progress slows. Watching the Cubs tonight, just for fun, and even though I hate Chicago. Cardio tomorrow.

Tuesday, November 1, 2106:

Legs

1. T25 Lower Body Focus DVD - 25 minutes HIIT/Aerobics lower body focus

2. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 255lbs

Well, this doesn't look like much but at the end of the DVD my legs were feeling like spaghetti. I forgot to post for Thursday and Saturday of last week, but I trained both days. Thursday was cardio, and Saturday was back/shoulders. Pretty good session on Saturday. I feel like I need more structure in my workouts lately. They seem to be kind of random in selection. Maybe that's a good thing, or maybe I'm leaving stuff on the table and being lazy. Probably the latter. Otherwise, things are going pretty well. Not much else to say really, just kind of working and working and working and then it's the weekend, and then working some more. Anyhow, back tomorrow with chest/arms.

Hey buddy, just checking in as i havent been here for a while, glad to see your still about

Hey buddy, thanks for checking in. Haven't been around as much as I would like, but I guess that's how it goes when you get old and busy with life. Hope you're doing well and crushing it out there.

Monday, November 14, 2016:

1. Pull-ups x 80

Wow I haven't posted in a while. Trained pretty good last week, but my diet sucks as of late. Been taking in too many calories. Thinking of ditching the rower for a treadmill. I need something a little more consistent. Ah well, that's it for tonight. Back tomorrow for legs.