turning mrbear into a mountain!

Those bastards and their stack shields! Heres another option, lift with both legs, then lower with one (negatives).

Havent been up Snoden, but I intend to at some point. Ill bet the was nice with sore legs, think I would have just rolled back down again lol. Went swimming today in the deep rock pools on our Mourne Mountains....so relaxing, then had a curried chip, battered onion rings and mushrooms, cant beat it:)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god dammit why didnt i think of doing it with one leg, feel like a dumbass now!

if your ever over here and want a tour guide let me know, i know the mountains pretty well round here. they are only about 25 mins away and im not far from the ferry.

sounds good pal, cold fresh water must have been nice after lifting heavy all week.

• 2 weeks later...

training highlights this week.........140kg bench press for 1 rep. no spotter think i could get 145-150 with someone incase i fail.

lat pulldown - 13 reps with whole stack plus a rubbber weight add on so around 100 - 105 kg.

feeling strong at the moment an relatively pain free

weighing a fairly constant 97kg

my legs are getting stronger but not growing in size, im going to have to sort something out because although they are half decent looking my upper body is slowly over taking them. Been to busy to train since last friday, going hit the weights again tomorrow or friday. legs first

my legs are getting stronger but not growing in size, im going to have to sort something out because although they are half decent looking my upper body is slowly over taking them. Been to busy to train since last friday, going hit the weights again tomorrow or friday. legs first

We could trade body halves, no? My legs always outshine upper body. It's annoying!

maybe we should its weird how people are so different, my upper body grows well but my legs never ever grow just get stronger. Started hitting them really hard now though to see if i can stimulate some growth.

Whole body workout today same as fridays.

Us tall guys never get it easy when it comes to legs, example, Arnold is the only over 6ft olympia winner, what was he remembered for? His legs? Hell no, it was his chest and biceps, same can be said for Big Lou who was 6'5.

Could it be your limited by the resistance on the legs machines? Maybe some heavy basic training is needed, in the form of leg presses, preferably lowish rep plate loaded lever style. Also, consider reducing the frequency of your leg training, ive spoken with a good few experienced hitters that made better overall progress on a 3 way split (push, pull and legs), given the legs are hammered only every 3rd workout. Training legs too often can lead to greater systemic stress, especially when your getting stronger every workout.

Just some grub for thought:)

whats up bro! I much prefer the older type physiques with wide shoulders small waists and much slimmer legs than nowadays, mine are just a bit too slim

The leg press at my gym is utter shit to be honest, its a horizontal type one an theres more friction from knackered old cables and chains than ive ever felt before, i do use it but it feels really rubbish. other than the leg press i only really have leg extensions, calf press and ham curls, im a bit too scared to do squats even in a smith machine due my back issues. What do you reckon i should do Rob? you always have a good ideas when im in a pickle

Lol, well, I worked breifly about 8-9 years ago as an engineer on the Belfast wheel / eye, it was located right beside the Belfast city hall, anyway, Glen Ross was hosting the UK's strongest man contest, one Sunday morning all the competitors and hosts got on the wheel, Magness Samuelsson was there, he was an easy 6'6, monster arms and chest, but his legs were mediocre (from memory, he never did well in the squat or deadlift), anyway, I got to talk with him breifly and asked him about his leg training, he said his legs were strong, just not big, front squats and leg presses he said where his bread and butter. He said us tall guys dont need to worry about it, cause when your arms, shoulders, chest etc are huge no one really cares about your legs lol. So true

As it happens, I also breifly met the WWE wrestler Bastisia (WWE is was Belfast at the time) the guy is 6'5, and was wearing really tight jeans with a sleeveless hoddie, again monster arms, but pretty average sized legs. None of my co-workers even noticed his legs, all they could talk about was the size of his arms lol.

Whats funny is, both these guys are / where clearly using drugs, they had genetics on their side and yet their legs were still poor (in comparison to their upper body development), so my advice is this, train them hard and let them rest, use movements better suited to the taller athlete, ie, lever style LP, failing that consider investing in a hip belt and /or trap bar, and of course focus on what does grow....Get benchen and-a curling:))

Sorry long winded answer:)

5'7 isnt exactly short though, maybe im just destined to have 6'4 bean pole legs

trained sat and sun...

sat -

bench press

lat pulldown

tricep pressdowns

arnold bicep curls

side laterals

all 2 sets to failure with weight that i can do no more than 10 reps.

sun -

leg press

leg extension

ham curls

calf press

2 sets to failure each for 12 - 15 reps

weight is on the up, weighing bang on 100kg would like to get to 105 without increasing my waist, have been 107 in the past but with a fairly bigger waist.

Lol, well, I worked breifly about 8-9 years ago as an engineer on the Belfast wheel / eye, it was located right beside the Belfast city hall, anyway, Glen Ross was hosting the UK's strongest man contest, one Sunday morning all the competitors and hosts got on the wheel, Magness Samuelsson was there, he was an easy 6'6, monster arms and chest, but his legs were mediocre (from memory, he never did well in the squat or deadlift), anyway, I got to talk with him breifly and asked him about his leg training, he said his legs were strong, just not big, front squats and leg presses he said where his bread and butter. He said us tall guys dont need to worry about it, cause when your arms, shoulders, chest etc are huge no one really cares about your legs lol. So true

As it happens, I also breifly met the WWE wrestler Bastisia (WWE is was Belfast at the time) the guy is 6'5, and was wearing really tight jeans with a sleeveless hoddie, again monster arms, but pretty average sized legs. None of my co-workers even noticed his legs, all they could talk about was the size of his arms lol.

Whats funny is, both these guys are / where clearly using drugs, they had genetics on their side and yet their legs were still poor (in comparison to their upper body development), so my advice is this, train them hard and let them rest, use movements better suited to the taller athlete, ie, lever style LP, failing that consider investing in a hip belt and /or trap bar, and of course focus on what does grow....Get benchen and-a curling:))

Sorry long winded answer:)

Whats the deal with these trap bars ive heard them mentioned before but never really understood what difference they make. Magnus was a beast i remeber when his opponents arm snapped in an arm wrestle years ago when they used to have it in the WSM. Your right mate maybe i shouldnt worry and just lift, if they dont grow they dont grow who cares because my arms do

Hey bud, yeah the first time I heard about them was in Stuart McRoberts books, most have two sets of handles, the higher are good for the taller athlete, youll feel little pressure in the back and more through the entire upper leg. Even with 3 herniated discs, they cause me no issues, that being said, they'd for me still be a second choice to a lever style leg press.

Thats right, Magnus did do that lol, forgot about that, wasnt just anyones arm, it was Nathan "megs arms" Jones (who had 23-24 arms I believe).

Yeah, I talked with Mike Mentzer about poor leg genes years ago, he mentioned how he'd seen the likes of Dave Draper and Freddy Ortiz train their legs, he said they trained their legs with great intensity, but their legs just werent as good as their upper body development, Mike but it down to the fact that they just didnt have enough "total fibers" in their legs. He said "understand and make peace with the fact that the horse and cart you have been dealt wont take you to the moon". LOL, he'd a great way with words...

At the other end, you'd Tom Platz who's legs wouldnt stop growing, and in an attempt to bring his upper body up to power, he injured his biceps tendon and was forced him to stop competitive bodybuilding.

Do you recall when Tom Platz competed in a squat contest with Fred Hatfield (for man to squat 1000lbs)? Fred blew Tom out of the water in the "Alpha" strength test, wereas Tom blew Fred out of the watercin the "Beta" contest. Fred's legs were no were as big or muscular as Toms, but id still take the Alpha strength anyday of the week:)

havent been able to get online for a while due im guessing the new layout, not keen on it but there we go........trained legs real hard last wednesday and upper body yesterday. going to legs on wednesdays and upper on sundays for a little while and see how i get on. weighing in at 101kg been eating alot more than usual and alot more carbs keeping the waist in check though so thats good. hope everyone is well and training hard

hey Rob, ill have a look into a trap bar maybe i could buy one and use it at home as i have olympic plates etc already...... i still remember the snap of his arm bloody disgusting put me off arm wrestling for life that did haha....

"understand and make peace with the fact that the horse and cart you have been dealt wont take you to the moon". im going to use that every time i have the skinny legs chat with someone, its the best quote ive heard in a long time, nice one

im with you on the alpha strength, i like to look good but being functionally strong is the best feeling ever.

Hey mate, they start at about £100 I think, but a decent one with high handles is about £150-200....worth the money though, its pretty versatile, it can be also used for doing famers walks, rows, stiff legged deadlift etc....

Yeah Mike was great, I remember asking him a fairly stupid question, he responded "sometimes I think plant of the apes was a documentary" lol, another time I said I wanted to be a trainer but didnt believe in the current way PTs are being trained, he replied "the Wrights brothers created a flying machine on a second grade education, moreover Arthur Jones created Nautilus and Medx epuipment (which made him one of America's richest men in the 70s) sharply defined HIT and contributed more to exercise science than most will ever know, was an expert of Wild life, flow jumbo jets, and could speak several languages fluently....and he didnt even bother attending high school let alone college". Needless to say I never went to the trainer "sausage factory". Lol

Agree entitely with your last point there, a freind of mine was did a white collar boxing match last weekend, one thing I noticed about the heavily muscled heavyweights was, they were a stiff as a board, lacked power and were out of breath after the first round, while the fatter guys were still going strong 3 rounds in. I guess all that muscle requires more oxygen.

Best

rob

Trained upper body yesterday, usual low volume heavy weights. highlight being whole stack of lat pulldowns for 19 reps the most ive ever done by 5 reps. Also up to 15kg dumbells for side laterals doesnt sound much but ive always been weak on these even though they are one of my favourite exercises.

where has everyone gone by the way????

Good going Mike, Dam good going:)

By the way, given the disadvantaged leverage associated with lateral raises, thats a bloody good weight!

Just out of curiosity, do you still follow pro bodybuilding? Im intersted to see how a 52 yo Kevin Leverone does at the weekend. What ya think? Top 6?

Interesting points Rob makes about oxygen use by muscles and boxing. Looks like you are doing well on sessions man. I'd say you can use a trap bar for a ton of stuff: DL, farmer walk (low and high), shrugs, mimic those log raise things the powerlifters always do, maybe even use them for curls, neutral grip chest press, locked into a rack for pullups, inverted rows, overhead pullovers, bent over rows . . . damn, i need one of those! lol

cheers Rob, loving training at the mo apart from a slight pain in my left pec when benching so i have stopped for now and doing dips instead (machine versions) just for maintenance.

I do follow it a bit, more out of habit than anything as i dont really like the physiques anymore, i tend to watch disabled/disadvantaged bodybuilding more i find it really inspiring. He looks unbelievable almost better than he did in the 90s. He has that grainy dense old school look even though he is huge. Would be good to see him in the top 6 as he doesnt have the pregnant gut of some the others, if he comes in anything like he used to then he should definitely place higher than some of the other pregnant monsters.

< watched this the other day, very motivating

Hey Chris, you mention a few things i havent thought about there, i think i will get one at some point, i will have to do it outside though i think incase i go through the floor haha....

trained back and chest today, nothing much to report, wasnt very strong today been working really hard so maybe that has had an effect, enjoyed it anyway, havent didnt do legs last week, going to hammer them this week at some point then arms and shoulders on or before the weekend. Been doing alot of deep stretching and really enjoying it so im going to set myself a goal of doing the splits.

cheers Rob, loving training at the mo apart from a slight pain in my left pec when benching so i have stopped for now and doing dips instead (machine versions) just for maintenance.

I do follow it a bit, more out of habit than anything as i dont really like the physiques anymore, i tend to watch disabled/disadvantaged bodybuilding more i find it really inspiring. He looks unbelievable almost better than he did in the 90s. He has that grainy dense old school look even though he is huge. Would be good to see him in the top 6 as he doesnt have the pregnant gut of some the others, if he comes in anything like he used to then he should definitely place higher than some of the other pregnant monsters.

< watched this the other day, very motivating

Hey Chris, you mention a few things i havent thought about there, i think i will get one at some point, i will have to do it outside though i think incase i go through the floor haha....

Hey bud, sorry, I didnt see this post. Probably a good idea with the bench, that exercise has ended more careers than any other...

Its a petty bout Leverone not placing, his wheels just werent their, but fair play to em.

Yo Rob, has it? i didnt think benching was that bad, do you think its a good idea to stick to dips? was also thinking cable crossovers, from high to low almost like a most muscular pose.

Yeh its a shame about kevin, good effort though, his upper body looked good. Worlds strongest man to look forward to next pal

Hey bud, yeah the flat bench has tore more pecs than enough, and if its causing a negative sensation its best to look elsewhere or look to preform it in a different manner. Cable crossovers are great, just dont over stretch and hold the contracted position for a second, then what you could do is go straight into negative only dips, taken several seconds to lower yourself (just a suggestion:)

Yes, strongman ahoy, would love to see "the mountain" win it:)