turning mrbear into a mountain!

Its a shame i love benching, i have hurt myself in the past with it though. Im in it for the long haul now so i better give it a miss. Sounds like a plan with the cross overs and dips combo. what do you think of the old school dumbell pull over?

The mountain, i reckon he will win it for sure one day, hes one big strong dude thats for sure, must be a sight in real life being 6'9 and pretty much 30 stone.

hoping to finish early tomorrow and get in the gym.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What way do you bench? Wide grip? Were to you bring the bar to? What tempo? When I do bench (which is rare) I use a slightly wider the shoulder width grip, lowering the bar to my lower chest, which allows the elbows to drop somewhat and causes less impingement in the shoulders. These days though am finding decline push ups (feet up on bench), I also use push up bars, I angle them to a 45 degree angle (for better pec activation) and keep them at shoulder width. Am doing 2-3 workimg sets of these a couple of times a week and their definitely making improvements in my chest, frontal delts and triceps. Now, am not doing that rapid fire push up crap, its 2 seconds up and 4 seconds down.

Im personally not a big fan of the DB Pullover, i feel there's better ways to work the lats and chest etc, that being said many swear by them so id say experiment and see for yourself if it makes a difference.

Lol, have you seen the youtube video of him mock sparring with Colin McGreagor lol:)

I bench pretty slow, never bounce it off my chest, just a bit more than shoulder width grip. I do have the bar towards my upper pecs at the bottom as it hurts my shoulders a bit if i do it towards to lower part of my pecs. Maybe its just one of those exercises that doesnt agree with me once it starts getting heavy.

Ill try the feet up press ups like you suggest, nice and slow. ive never got this fast press up thing with clapping etc, asking for tendon issues if you ask me. I think ill try super setting machine dips with the press ups and see how it goes Its lucky your dont charge for your training advice Rob, or i would have a pretty big bill by now

Yeh i read an interview with the mountain after that sparring session, he said he went easy on mcgreagor incase he hurt him, i think he was scared i would be anyway.

Strange that lowering the bar to your lower chest causes you shoulder pain, theres less impingement, in theroy anyway, just goes to show though...

Thats it, just play around with different movements and combos, then every now and then return back to the bench, sometimes over useage of the same movement can lead to issues.

Yeah, McGreagor looked like a wee fart next em lol:)

gave legs a good hammering today, felt really sick and couldnt catch my breath for ages after so must have done something right! off to the bouldering walls tomorrow for a change, havent been for a while so going to be rubbish at it and have destroyed raw hands.......no pain no gain!

only just recovered from climbing my forearms were destroyed on monday i couldnt even open a bottle lol.

arms chest and shoulders today. liking the machine dips im learning slowly how to target my chest properly with them.

highlight was 25kg arnold curls for 10 reps each arm, i dont recall ever doing them that heavy so pleased with that!

also did 100 reps of side laterals, only with 5kg but had a crazy pump in my delts that ive never had before.

Dude I remember that feeling the day after a good climb. It's like you've never had forearm muscles! Will have to look up the arnold curls.

i forgot how bad it can be, maybe my forearms will grow with once a week bouldering sessions. Arnold curls, at least i think thats what there called are really good, just grab a dumbell then bend over and grab something like the dumbell rack...... let the other working arm just hang down almost like your about to do a one arm row..........then just curl the dumbell up, it really focuses it on your bicep but without the restriction of preacher curls etc...

scoop curls, i like it, didnt leroy have the first "offical" 21 inch arms or something?

trained legs thursday or friday cant remember which......or what i did but i remember feeling sick afterwards. wish the gym had a good leg press the one they have is shit, no where round here has a proper 45degree ones just horizontal rubbish sticky squeaky uncomfortable grinding pieces of crap. adding more carbs to my diet in the form of rice and high protein pasta, i get much better pumps and strength when im carbed up. and less angry ;p

upper body today, minus back.

machine dips

lateral raises

arnold scoop curls got 25 kg for 12 x 2 sets 30kg next time!

tricep pressdowns (managed the whole stack for 10)

doesnt look much but i really hammer them and it feels good, feels like a even workout with nothing getting worked much harder than the other.

going to do back with legs on the weekend.

stuck at 16 1/2 stone and its annoying me, more (again) food beginning tomorrow .

upper body today

machine dips supersetted with cable crossovers

lateral raises one side at a time

tricep pressdowns

arnold curls managed 30kg dumbells for 12 reps last two had a bit of swing to them so ill call it 10.

missed legs last week as i went climbing again so legs and back will be sometime this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all, been a while since i was here been megabusy and had alot on my plate, still been training hard though. hope everyone who is around is well.

cheers Rob got some zma in the end and its does help, more so than the other sleep supplements i tried, thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right 2017 is here, time to eat and grow, upped my calories alot lately really seems to be helping strength. plans for 2017 are to get bigger and stronger and spread the meat free word. currently weighing 103/4 kilos want to get 110 kilos.

lifts im happy with at the start of this year - whole stack seated cable rows 12 reps

whole stack lat pulldowns 16 reps

whole stack machine dips 20 reps

5kg side laterals 100 reps (could get more i think but i was bored)

30kg dumbell arnold curls 12 reps

big food, big weights, big bear........ thats the plan.

Hey Rob, hope you are having a good new year! theres no fake tan or thongs here, just a power belly and more hair than a real bear lol.

i keep trying to lower my reps but i always end sneaking up again, i kind of feel out of the injury danger zone when im above 10 so maybe thats it.....and ive been doing more than one set usually 2-3 to failure but thats only because im loving lifting at the moment and ive got a nice routine going that doesnt aggrevate any injuries so its nice to be in the gym for a little longer

hows your training these days? still laughing in the face of heavy weights?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey man, just replied in your journal i didnt realise you had written here......good to see back here. Wales is ok thanks cold and wet as usual spring and some sunshine is on the way though i think! hope all is well with you, looks like your getting pretty damn strong.

Having trouble with my neck at the moment which also affects my shoulders, so training is on hold while i get it fixed by my osteopath. weight is staying the same due to high calorie intake hoping to train again next week. i think i could get up near 115-120kg bodyweight if i could train properly without having to stop all the time due to nagging injuries.