X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Deadlift 107.5Kg / 237lbs

X 5 reps

Super easy!

147.5Kg / 325lbs

X 1 rep

X 1 rep

That felt great! The second set was easier than the first!

Wide grip, slow pull ups

Biceps were dying at this point haha

The commonwealth games inspired me to give clean and jerks a go, kept it light

65Kg

X 1 rep

X 1 rep

Was quite fun but can't see me doing them that often.

And that's all she wrote! Bench day tomorrow hopefully

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bench day!

Squats 77.5kg / 170 lbs

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Used my belt for these, even though I could have very easily done without it.. I just want to get into the habit of using it if I'm getting back into powerlifting

Bench press 65Kg / 143lbs

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Finished with some flys and DB bench presses to failure.

No issues really today, it got a bit hot outside during my bench presses which had me working up quite a sweat.. I'm shattered from work on top of that but everything's cool.

• 2 years later...

This has to be the billionth time I've left and rejoined the site forum but I've got some big news,

As soon as I'm married (this may) I'm gonna sign up for my first powerlifting meet!!

I've already joined the amateur British powerlifting Union and keeping an eye on meets in my area, or as close to the Isle of Wight as poss,

So anyway I'm gonna need to log workout here to keep me accountable would love to catch up with my vbb besties too

Current body weight is 95kg so I have to decide whether to commit to 90kg or 100kg weight class, probably the former so would need to drop to 89kg to be safe!

Current 1rms are

Squat 165kg (ish)

Bench 125kg

Deadlift 205kg

Really not happy with my total considering my current body weight so it's time to step it up a gear!

Yesterday's workout

Squats

3x3 reps 130kg

2x3 reps 140kg

150kg x 5 reps

160kg x 3 reps

Pull ups 5x5

Leg curls, extensions etc.

I post a lot of training videos on my Instagram! Give me a follow @Rosscosgrove

Hey rob!! Glad you're still around dude, haha well we've been together since we were 18 and I'm closing in on 28 now so it's about time we tied the knot!

Training today was dogshit, nothing felt right, rounded on the deadlifts despite them being light, forgot half my cues and had no real desire to be there. Oh wells, you win some you lose some!

DEADLIFTS

155kg/341lbs (75% ish of 1rm)

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

BENCH (paused)

97.5kg/215lbs (80% ish of 1rm)

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Decided against a 5th set, set 4 rep 5 was a big struggle and butt came off the bench..

Pull ups 5x5

Nice and boring, just how I like it, most likely resting for the rest of the week now, small chance i'll go in Saturday for some squats, hopefully I'll be feeling stronger than today!

Ross!!! hows it going pal? i thought your island had floated away or something, good to see you back!

All good thanks dude haha the islands still here unfortunately :P

Today's session was much better but was slightly fatigued from work, wasn't too much of a problem as it was a pretty light training day!

Squats!

130kg / 286lbs

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

X 5 reps

Sumo deadlifts! (I'm still deciding whether or not to switch to sumos permanently, they seem more forgiving on my lower back which has been rounding lately when pulling conventional)

155kg / 341lbs

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

X 3 reps

Pull ups 5x5

No time for assistance work, spend too long messing around

I post alot of my training videos on my Instagram if anyone's interested- il post up a link

Early session today, I'm starting to notice I'm spending way too much time chatting and hanging around lately!

I felt pretty strong today, bench didn't feel too comfortable but moved reasonably quickly

SQUATS!

70kg x 10 reps

110kg x 5 reps

132.5kg / 292lbs x 5 reps

BENCH

1 rep is paused on every set

100kg / 220lbs x 5 reps

100kg / 220lbs x 5 reps

100kg / 220lbs x 5 reps

100kg / 220lbs x 5 reps

100kg / 220lbs x 5 reps

Pull ups 5 x 5

And finished off with enough leg curls that my hamstrings grew a few Jean sizes..

Resting up tomorrow!

squats felt strong today, but something's off with my deadlifts lately, will need some tweaking.

SQUATS

70kg x 8 reps

110kg x 5 reps

Working sets

135kg / 297lbs x 5 reps

135kg / 297lbs x 5 reps

135kg / 297lbs x 5 reps

DEADLIFTS

I'm pretty much giving up on pulling sumo, did a bit of both today and the conventional felt lighter, sumo felt a bit more comfortable though, especially on my lower back.

70kg x 10 reps

110kg x 8 reps

Working sets

157.5kg / 347lbs x 3 reps

Pull ups 5x5

Leg curls,

My training journal must look sooooo boring haha

good job on the deads mate, watch that lower back though you are well into the danger zone with weight now did you see eddie halls world record? thats the most insane lift ive ever seen

im just so unsure whether to pull sumo or not, it's just so much more comfortable right now but everyone's trying to talk me out of it haha

Deadlifting a bit later today so il just see what happens

Yeah I heard about eddies WR just after it happened but had to wait until Christmas to actually see it, was incredible and well deserved, Jerry Pritchett could have pulled it too though if he hadn't pulled a hamstring

Yesterday's workout

SQUATS

140kg / 308lbs x 5 reps

140kg / 308lbs x 5 reps

140kg / 308lbs x 5 reps

BENCH PRESS

went for volume and am currently suffering for it

Vid on my Instagram

50kg / 110lbs x 15 reps

90kg / 198lbs x 14 reps

100kg / 220lbs x 8 reps

110kg / 242lbs x 1 rep... Literally fried after the previous sets and wasn't willing to go through the pain haha

Pull ups

5x5

DEADLIFTS!

Conventional only, basically gave up on sumos now aha

After warm ups

160kg / 352lbs x 3

160kg / 352lbs x 3

200kg / 440lbs x 1

210kg / 462lbs x 1 PERSONAL BEST!

Stoked, wasn't even aiming for pbs today but the 160kg moved way too fast

215kg / 473lbs 2 failed attempts, moved quick off the floor but nothing past the knees.

Block pulls

Did these off of 20kg crossfit plates (which is all they're good for)

200kg / 440lbs x 1 rep

180kg / 396lbs x 3 reps

180kg / 396lbs x 3 reps

160kg / 353lbs x 5 reps

Pull ups 4x5

1 amrap, managed 10 reps

Lots of leg curls to finish

Hey Ross, looking good mate, I think if I was to DL that much id be like your man thats back snapped on youtube lol. Reckon youll hit 5he 500lber before the contest is May?

Weddings in May dude! Will be signing up to the closest meet I can as soon as I land back in the UK after my honeymoon haha

Most likely to be the end of the year so yeah I hope I can get the 500lber!

How's everything with you anyway man?? Still in that HIT life?

Ah, am with ya now lol. At the rate your going you'll be heading for a 550 or more. Something a guy Ive been following on HIT forums now for several (who deadlifted 620lb @165lb

), said "strength is finite, and with good programming you'll reach your upper limits quicker than you think". From what ive seen in those trying to optimise strength/skill in specific lifts (natural trainee's of course), he seems to be right on the money with that statement.

Alls good here mate, and indeed...still HIT to the core baby:) In fact the misses asked me what did i want for our 20th wedding anniversary at the end of the month, thinking of adding a heavy duty and/or HIT Mafia tattoo on my forearm/s...faithful to the core lol.

Ah, am with ya now lol. At the rate your going you'll be heading for a 550 or more. Something a guy Ive been following on HIT forums now for several (who deadlifted 620lb @165lb
), said "strength is finite, and with good programming you'll reach your upper limits quicker than you think". From what ive seen in those trying to optimise strength/skill in specific lifts (natural trainee's of course), he seems to be right on the money with that statement.

Alls good here mate, and indeed...still HIT to the core baby:) In fact the misses asked me what did i want for our 20th wedding anniversary at the end of the month, thinking of adding a heavy duty and/or HIT Mafia tattoo on my forearm/s...faithful to the core lol.

Yeah I hear ya, I want to be able to deadlift as much as poss in the 90kg category, I think the deadlift record in my fed (amateur) is like 250kg or something like that, so I'm working on the technique with some quicker and lighter reps.

Oh man that is true devotion if ever I've seen it hahaha! I'm considering this conversation a verbal contract now dude, no backing out you gotta get those tatts!!

Terrible session today, just didn't eat enough and wasn't in the mood to lift! Still got it done I suppose.

SQUATS

142.5kg x 5 reps

142.5kg x 5 reps

142.5kg x 5 reps

5 reps is starting to get a bit ambitious at this weight now, I'm considering doing 5 triples from now on so I can keep the volume the same at least but have more recovery.

Bench, heavy paused singles.. That turned out to be a little too heavy for me today..

After warming up.

100kg x 1

105kg x 1

110kg x 1

120kg x 0 caught the pins at the bottom of the movement, lost my tightness, lost my breath and just screwed up the lift. Clambered out underneath the bar with only part of my ego still intact..

Finished with 2x3 @ 100kg

I'm starting a new bench programme as of next week so hopefully I can improve my poverty bench in time to compete.

Pull ups

3x5

2x8

Leg curls, lots of leg curls.

Edited by vegan_rossco

Good sesh today! Everything moved a reasonable speed, bench could have been quicker but my nagging shoulder pain and uncomfortable feeling in left tricep hindered me.

SQUATS

145kg / 319lbs x 3

145kg / 319lbs x 3

145kg / 319lbs x 3

145kg / 319lbs x 3

145kg / 319lbs x 3

I've been meaning to test my squat max lately, after I've hit my 500lb deadlift I want to give smolov jr a go.. I've heard it's pretty intense so don't wanna be deadlifting much at all whilst I'm doing it.

BENCH PRESS

(Touch and go)

60kg x 10

90kg x 10

(Paused bench)

112.5kg / 247lbs x 1

100kg / 220lbs x 3

100kg / 220lbs x 3

100kg / 220lbs x 3

Did some dips and pull ups to finish.

Deadlifts in the morning )))

Yesterday's deadlifts totally took me by surprise... I took my first leap into Eddie halls deadlift routine and not only could I just not keep up with it..wow I'm feeling it today too.

After speaking to a friend I'm sticking with it and taking my time with it to hit the prescribed weight and reps

DEADLIFTS

3x10 @ 70% (155kg) of my new desired max (220kg)

This is all I could manage, and they were all touch and go.

155kg / 341lbs x 8

155kg / 341lbs x 8

155kg / 341lbs x 6

I had to make up the reps with a couple of extra sets, ended with the 30 total reps at least...

Next week is speed reps at 50% so il manage that for sure aha

RACK PULLS

All at knee height, trying to build a stronger lock out, all done beltless and concentrated on dragging the weight up the thighs.

150kg x 5 reps

150kg x 5 reps

150kg x 5 reps

150kg x 5 reps

Pull ups 5x5

Leg curls to finish

Much needed rest today after a terrible night sleep and the sorest back I've ever felt haha

SQUATS

I didn't put in enough time for warming and stretching due to some overconfidence..

Still, moved reasonably quickly and the last 3 sets were pretty easy

147.5kg / 324lbs x 3 reps

Once I can squat 160kg/352lbs for 5x3 or at least 3x3 il be testing my 1rm!

BENCH PRESS

Dynamic/speed reps

Maybe not as quick as they could have moved, still fighting some minor discomfort in my left shoulder.

80kg / 176lbs x 8 reps

80kg / 176lbs x 8 reps

Pull ups 5x5

Leg curls and leg extensions to finish