Help please! Macros Recommended by Trainer - Looking for feedback

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. I have always been a very cardio-centric person and recently decided to get a trainer and incorporate strength training into my routine as I'm not getting the results I want from cardio alone. I got myself a trainer who has clients with amazing results, and she is giving me a 12 week workout program (focuses on lifting, and changes weekly) and customized macro diet to follow. She is not vegan, but she knows that I am.

She gave me my nutrition goals last weekend and I am STRUGGLING. I'm looking for input from the experts here on whether this is even doable and if it is, how do I go about this. I'm finding it extremely hard to get to my protein goals but still keep my carbs low, and reach my calorie goal. It's beyond frustrating.

Daily Goals:

Calorie: 1713

Fat: 59.5

Carbs: 124.4

Protein: 170

Grams per meal:

Calories: 343

Fat: 11.9

Protein: 34

Carbs: 24.9

170 grams of protein?!? I mean, really?

Example of what I'm eating today:

Breakfast:

Vegan Protein Powder, Almond Milk, 1/2 banana, chia seeds: 323 Calories/32.5 C/7.2 F/32 P

Snack: 1 slice of Eziekel Toast, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter: 175 calories/19 C/8.5 F/7.5 P

Lunch: Beyond Meat Chicken Strips, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, Roasted zucchini: 314 Calories/37 Carbs/8.5 F/28 P

Snack 2: Mini Bell Peppers, 2 Tablespoons of Hummus: 93 calories/10.7 C/4.5 F/3.3 Protein

Dinner: Lettuce, Tempeh, Salsa, Avocado: 348 Calories/23.5 C/16.9 F/19 P

I wanted to have some beans and sauteed peppers with my dinner, but as you can see I'm at my limit with the carbs

So based off of all of this, I'm at exactly 1200 calories for the day. And I'm still EIGHTY grams of protein short, at my carb max, short 13 G fat, and 500 calories short. Is it just me, or is this crazy??

I'm a firm believer that counting the carbs in my broccoli or bell peppers is insane, but I'm not really left with much of a choice. The way I see this, I'm going to be miserable and not going to do this long term.

Can you help please?

Thank you <3

I've had the same problems and it's very frustrating. Supplementing with protein powders is pretty much the only way I've been able to hit my protein goals with keeping my carbs lower. 170g protein is going to be really tough to hit though unless you're having like 3 protein shakes a day. Maybe try adjusting the macros on your own, or talking to your trainer and seeing if there's something else that can be done. I think there is room to play with the numbers a bit. Being vegan the numbers have to be a bit different than for someone who eats meat because we don't have the luxury (?) of straight protein. Some good protein sources that are low in carbs/fat are Beyond Meat strips, Trader Joe's Chickenless strips, Yves Canadian Bacon, Pea/Rice/Soy Protein, Boca Burgers. Also, high protein pastas like black bean or green/red lentil are a good choice. Have that with some "meat" sauce and you're at like 34g protein. Try adding some Canadian Bacon slices as a side to your pb toast, and something else with protein to your second snack. If you can get at least 30g protein at each meal you'll be good (but I think you might see if you can't adjust that number down to between 120-150).

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much!!! I've been struggling and your post is super encouraging. I'm trying not to have that much soy, and focusing on pea protein more. Thank you, will try some of your suggestions!

I've had the same problems and it's very frustrating. Supplementing with protein powders is pretty much the only way I've been able to hit my protein goals with keeping my carbs lower. 170g protein is going to be really tough to hit though unless you're having like 3 protein shakes a day. Maybe try adjusting the macros on your own, or talking to your trainer and seeing if there's something else that can be done. I think there is room to play with the numbers a bit. Being vegan the numbers have to be a bit different than for someone who eats meat because we don't have the luxury (?) of straight protein. Some good protein sources that are low in carbs/fat are Beyond Meat strips, Trader Joe's Chickenless strips, Yves Canadian Bacon, Pea/Rice/Soy Protein, Boca Burgers. Also, high protein pastas like black bean or green/red lentil are a good choice. Have that with some "meat" sauce and you're at like 34g protein. Try adding some Canadian Bacon slices as a side to your pb toast, and something else with protein to your second snack. If you can get at least 30g protein at each meal you'll be good (but I think you might see if you can't adjust that number down to between 120-150).

Good luck!

Have you had any luck in your weight loss / muscle building? I just tried to do low carb for a week and honestly felt sick the whole time. I am 5'6 , 133 lbs. I was shooting for under 50 carbs / day but I think I am giving up on that. I am going to try 135 g protein per day (which will mean at least 2 shacks) and lots of seitan/tofu/edamame. It is hard to reach these goals on a vegan diet but honestly when I was vegan it was pretty hard and shitty feeling too. I mean who wants to eat the same chicken breast from morning to night, and who wants to eat tofu morning to night? it just gets frustrating regardless of how you eat. There are very few people who actually stick to this day in and day out and most of them are professionals. Please update us on your progress.