ATTN: TEXANS!

ronnie kray

this year is an election year for governor.

would you vote for this man?

http://www.mentalblog.com/filedepot/Kinky%20Friedman.jpg

his name is Kinky Friedman. he has been a singer, a writer, and now he is running for governor of the great state of Texas. yes he is serious. he is registered as an independant. he delivered more than enough signatures (169,574 signatures, only 45,500 are required) to be on the ballot. he has had endorsements from willie nelson and the dixie chicks. he is a bit of a colorful character. but it is at least something other than your typical democrat and republican. i'm not saying i agree with everything he says, but he at least has me interested in voting this year.

interesting side note. i don't think he is vegan, but he does seem to believe in animal rights to some extent. Kinky founded the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch in 1998, wixh has saved hundreds of stray dogs from the pound and certain death, and tried to find them homes. he has also stated that if elected he would make it illegal to declaw cats.

here is one of his funnier elections posters with the slogan: "How Hard Can It Be?"

http://www.poe-news.com/imgs/story/44228-vote-kinky.jpg

to learn more visit the Kinky For Governor website

Kinky spoke on my campus a few months back. He had my vote before then but he's got a quick wit. Wants to put Willie Nelson into an advisory position, and even wants to rename some highways. Lets not forget improving schools without raising taxes. He's only got 3 main issues. I hope voters get diarreah every time they even consider voting for Perry. But a handsom twit garnering support from a state of un educated folks (literally and politically) is the trait of our State. We need change and we need it fast.

He's the only jewish, pro- gay marriage person I could ever imagine Texans voting for! I hope he pulls it off. Has anyone ever heard any of his old stuff? When he was in The Texas Jewboys they had a song called " They Don't Make Jews Like Jesus Anymore"-that is hilarious!!!!!!

this is the shirt that got me thinking i want to vote for this guy. with all the right wing christian ideas going around in this state's politics, i just like the fact that a candidate for governor would put this out. he pretty much had my vote once i saw it.

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/xcart/files/Blake/t_16138.jpg

can you imagine Texas with a Jewish governor?! why the hell not!

You know he is for prayer in school, that's a tough one for me...but he's pro-gay marriage too...so at least he's trying to be fair. Not that it will make a difference, I've already had a few words with the Amarillo school district for sending home church propaganda from my daughter's pre-K!! They give out lots of pro beef and dairy stuff too...I had a nice conversation with her teacher about that too, she was actually very cool and understanding about it.

You know he is for prayer in school, that's a tough one for me...

Led by the schools, or simply allowing the students to pray when/if they choose to? I have difficulty reconciling the first position to (what little) I know about him, but would have no problem with the latter and I'm only slightly less an atheist than Madalyn Murry O'Hair.

Speaking of which, did you know that the Texas Constitution prohibits anyone holding elected office who doesn't proclaim a faith in a higher power? They feel this is open-minded, as they don't care which higher power you follow.

[quote name="Sknydpr

Speaking of which' date=' did you know that the Texas Constitution prohibits anyone holding elected office who doesn't proclaim a faith in a higher power? They feel this is open-minded, as they don't care which higher power you follow.[/quote]

Are you sure? The Texas Constitution is long as hell...like 220 Amendments. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true tho...my higher power would be David Hasselhof...and I'm sure the Germans would agree with me!

"Germans love David Hasselhof"-Norm MacDonald

I haven't heard his specific proposal...I would think, from what I know of him, that it would be by individual choice. But that is a VERY slippery slope. I know his justification is that kids need something to believe in...I can't argue with that, I just think it should be something real. We never pushed the Easter Bunny or Santa on our daughter, she somehow just caught wind of them. At first we told her they weren't real, but she argued with us...she's 5...Once a friend sent an X-mas card with their daughter on Santa's lap...our daughter showed it to me and said "see dad, told you he was real!"...I laughed and said I guessed she knew better than me! It kinda worries me about pickin' up on Jeebus at the schools...but I'll just tell her..."well you thought Santa was real too, maybe you'll trust me on the Jeebus thing now!"

I disagree, on allowing it not being seen as forcing it:

If you have 75% of a class, in elementary school, praying, those other 25% are going to be forced to pray also, via peer pressure. Think back to elmentary school: How would the praying 75% treat the other non praying 25%? After one day of that treatment (name calling, not playing with them at recess, etc.), that 25% would be joining the prayer activities, the next class. That is forcing them to do so.

That's exactly true...when I was a painter this women I was working for told be how her brother got in trouble in school for not praying and it was later brought up to their parents by the school that they weren't properly raising their kids to be good Christians! That was in the 50s ...it would be a shame to move back instaed of forward...

I don't see anything wrong if a kid wants to pray...BUT EVEN THE BIBLE SAYS DO IT OUT OF SIGHT IN A PRIVATE MANNER!!!!!! You can pray and not make a public spectacle out of it! Jeebus is a mind reader, right?...

Are you sure? The Texas Constitution is long as hell...like 220 Amendments. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true tho...my higher power would be David Hasselhof...and I'm sure the Germans would agree with me!

"Germans love David Hasselhof"-Norm MacDonald

The Texas Constitution

Article 1 - BILL OF RIGHTS

Section 4 - RELIGIOUS TESTS

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

AWESOME....direct citation!!!! That is perhaps the best political double talk since the Emancipation Proclamation!!!! I can't believe its never been challenged! I believe people should be allowed to eat whatever they wany as long as its vegan!

in case you didn't know...the Emancipation Proc. freed exactly 0 slaves...it states " on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord, 1863, all persons held as slaves within any state or designated part of a state, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then , thenceforward, and forever free..." It doesn't free any slaves in the Upper South that were not in rebellion, nor the states that had been recaptured! (The 13th Amend. freed the slaves!) The Emanc. Proc. was just political double talk to appease Northern abololitionists but still keep the border states out of the war.

I have no idea but it would be a great benefit to veganism if you go looking for skinny dippers then you convert them to veganism. I feel its a demographic not paid enough attention to by the AR community...its much more of a 70s hippy vegan thing than a new thing so you could change that for the better

I have no idea but it would be a great benefit to veganism if you go looking for skinny dippers then you convert them to veganism. I feel its a demographic not paid enough attention to by the AR community...its much more of a 70s hippy vegan thing than a new thing so you could change that for the better

I see your point...but I'm pretty active in the naturist community around here. I'm even an officer for an Austin-based nudist club called The Hill Country Nudists. While a few of the nudist/naturists I meet can be slightly hippie-ish, the vast majority tend to be your typical cross section of larger society. People usually are shocked when they find out they know a nudist because they really do reflect the society norms...just without clothes. But I will try to convert vegans where ever I go, clothed or not, no worries there!

I think it would be cool to meet more vegans, nudists, movie buffs or any other people interested in the same things I am...I just think it's especially cool when you meet people with more than one common interest. That's the most fun of all.

By the way...I LOVE doing pottery and ceramics! I have a bunch of clay I need to sink my hands in to.

Clay rocks...its an essential part of veganism As for movies I watch a hell of a lot of them. I was diagnosed with insomnia when I was ten and those extra hours of being awake were devoted to stretching and movies. As for nudists I only personally know 2 people I would call nudists(1 vegetarian)...the rest(quite a few) are just exhibitionists(doesn't bother me either way)

All this talk about clay makes me want to go get into it right now...but it's late and I'm not really inspired...Maybe I could do a sculpture of a naked person watching a movie and eating vegan snax...

or maybe I will wait to think of something til tomorrow

Posted By Kinky June 22, 2006: IT'S OFFICIAL!

AUSTIN, Texas -- June 21, 2006 -- Texas Secretary of State Roger Williams today informed independent candidate Kinky Friedman that his name will appear on the statewide general election ballot for governor this November.

"The people of Texas have spoken -- they're ready for change," Friedman said. "They're sick and tired of politics as usual, and they're ready to elect an independent candidate in November.... This tells us what we've long suspected: the two-party system has failed our state. Only an independent candidate - one who is not owned by special interests - can restore Texas."

you can read the entire thing here.

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/xcart/files/Blake/t_16189.jpg

I don't know much about Texas and the success of Independants in terms of taking the democratic vote...I know Perot got alot of Presidential votes but he was a conservative that some democrats liked and alot of republicans respected. Does this guy have a shot or is he a Kucinich??? Of course I'd like to see it work but if not aren't you guys a little worried about the Nader Effect...its hard enough to find moderate republicans in Texas let alone moderate and liberal democrats and independants.

I see your point...but I'm pretty active in the naturist community around here. I'm even an officer for an Austin-based nudist club called The Hill Country Nudists.

Awesome. HCN is non-landed? Maybe we can meet up at Hippie Hollow, if I ever get around to going up there. I have too many piercings in the wrong places to be accepted into most nudist clubs, even though I'm about as vanilla as you can get (just shinier).