Juicing

Sean

So tis isn't really a recipe but a question. I recently bought a juicer(finally) for wheatgrass as well as other things. I like to juice excess carrots,broccoli,spinach and throw it into a smoothie. I see that so little juice comes out of all of these items, so I'm wondering what to do with the leftover "pulp". I mean, it seems like a waste to have all of this excess and just throw it out, there have to be good nutrients in that waste.

Anyone else juice and have any ideas.

Sometimes I just juice because I have waaaaay too many veggies that are almost bad and I want to at least squeeze some stuff out because I know I can't eat 2 lbs of broccoli in 2 days, but I can almost drink enough juice out of the 2lbs in a couple days.

Oh No! Why not just use the greens whole?!? You will get much more nutrition that way. (except for wheatgrass; it needs to be juiced)

Read this page,HERE (click and read the links), then scroll down a few posts to my description, pics, and suggestions. Green Smoothies Rule!

Otherwise, use pulp in baking, add to cereals, bean-or-other burgers or patties, dry and grind for a seasoning.

You can use carrot pulp in muffins and carrot cake. Zucchini pulp would work as well. I'm not quite sure about the broccoli, though.

Do you compost? Juicer pulp would make a wonderful compost addition. If you don't have a compost pile, but have access to a yard, dig up some dirt and bury the pulp in it. Earthworms will love it! And they'll poop out some nice soil supplement in exchange!

I used to have a juicer for years, and used it a lot in the 70's, but it was a PITA to clean.

I'm thinking of getting a new one, but I'm also seriously considering a VitaMix instead, because it 'juices' the whole fruits or veggies instead of separating the pulp and the juice. Seems better to me than separating the juice from the fiber it comes with in nature.

Oh No! Why not just use the greens whole?!? You will get much more nutrition that way. (except for wheatgrass; it needs to be juiced)

Read this page,HERE (click and read the links), then scroll down a few posts to my description, pics, and suggestions. Green Smoothies Rule!

Otherwise, use pulp in baking, add to cereals, bean-or-other burgers or patties, dry and grind for a seasoning.

I eat tons of veggies whole and raw. I love making fruit smoothies in the morning and decided that it would be cool to throw some fresh veggie juice in too. I have tried to throw raw broccoli into the blender but it's a bit much to go down. And I bought it primarily for wheat grass as I started growing it. I'll look into a vitamix. I've heard the name but didn't realize that it took everything down to liquid.

Well, yea, I wouldn't use broccoli either . It's probably best for a veggie-based, savory drink/juice or blended salad type thingy. It's good for cream of broccoli soup too .

I used to grow wheatgrass; it's so easy. I don't do it anymore, though, since I prefer the green smoothies. Occasionally, I'll buy some to juice and add to them, though.

Those power blenders are soo great to have!

• 3 months later...

Most fruit pulp will make awesome fruit leather...just spread it thin on a cookie sheet and leave it in the sun of you can...if not leave it in your house but it'll take forever. The veggie pulp normally goes into cakes for me if I don't just leave it in my drinks(pulpy carrot juice doesn't bother me)

• 4 weeks later...

I second xChrisZx suggestion of making a sandwich with the left over carrot pulp, just tried it, works great. Thanks.

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:16 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take the carrot pulp and use it to make a fake tuna sandwich.

Carrot pulp, veganaise, relish and whatever else. Mix it all together, throw it on some toasted bread and eat.

That's what i do.

Make sure, if you're using the pulp, to wash the produce well before juicing, and only use the pulp from organic produce. Some say that most of the pesticide residue remains in the fiber/pulp of the plants.

Otherwise, you can always add the pulp directly to your garden soil: work it in a bit under the surface, and it will be a natural compost (and it's not technically going 'to waste' if you use it to feed the earthworms!)

a local company here makes these really good dehydrated burgers with all the pulp from their juice - beets, carrots, etc. I don't have a recipe but they are sooo good.

That sounds really interesting...are they chewy???

I dont know how good my pulp would be for burgers, I usually do whatever fruits and veggies I have lying around that I dont want to physically eat. I could very well end up with tomatoe pinapple ginger juice. There is just no telling. One i really do like is cucumber and lychee.

• 1 month later...