Bread?

VegaNick

I have been vegan for 3 1/2 years now and I have recently developed symptoms similiar to IBS. I went to the doctor and he mentioned an allergy to wheat could be possible. Long story short I stopped eating bread and wheat for about 5 days and my symptoms dissappeared. Has anyone experienced anything like this, I was always under the influence that I would never have bowel problems due to my diet.

Bread doesn't affect me that way but because of the fact that vegan breads are either hard to find or expensive or unhealthy (high fructose corn syrup added) I always make my own breads which means I don't eat bread very often because I don't have that much time for cooking and baking. Going vegan has resulted in me eating less bread but I was never a big bread eater anyway, unless it was garlic bread. Yays for the IBS going away. That's killer.

Make your own bread...its cheap($0.40-0.60 per loaf) and it will be vegan so then you can know if you feel lousy eating a lot of bread. I feel fine when I eat a lot of bread...however I put on weight like crazy

What is IBS?

My father was vegan for most of his adult life and had a wheat and gluten allergy. Is this similar?

I don't have any trouble with bread. In fact, I used to enjoy making whole wheat rolls out of this baking stuff that is made by the same company that makes the Egg Replacer.

I dunno. To each their own, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

i love bread, i eat alot of sandwiches... tofurkey, veggie burgers, sloppy joes, ect... mmmm. it also seems to be a pretty decent source of protein.

i don't have trouble finding vegan breads, grandma sycamores white bread is vegan, i don't think i've been to a grocery store that doesnt carry it. not too expensive either, like $1.50-$2.00 for a loaf usually. the "old home" buns are vegan and priced normal too compared to say, wonder. i see them everywhere too. thats the stuff i normally buy. sometimes when i go to wild oats i get the multigrain or wheat stuff which is awesome.

i don't honestly pay much mind to what breads healthier than the other though. i just eat whats available when i'm hungry.

From what I've read, wheat is not a grain we should be eatiing much of. It acidifies the body, often harbors molds and funguses because it is stored for a long time in silos, it is one of the most allergy-inducing foods, and is very hybridized.

Better is spelt or kamut (less-hybridized forms of wheat that are lower in gluten). Or organic sprouted wheat, if it's not possible to avoid wheat altogether.

I go without bread for long periods of time, and then when I eat it again, I feel bloated and stuff. I have / had IBS, although that was mainly when I was vegetarian years ago. Now I don't have many symptoms, I guess it was mainly milk and cheese that was gutulating me.

Didn't you just post a "wheat" gluten recipe?

That doesn't mean I eat much of it now.

People are at different places on their dietary journey. At one point, I did use more seitan and gluten, now I rarely do.

I was just responding to someone's request for a recipe. Obviously, that person still eats it.