How vegan are you?

michaelhobson

You order a boca burger at a restaurant, are you concerned about the bread  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oddly enough I've got a friend over there that said they use beet sugar...this person also didn't know most sugar wasn't vegan either. I guess it may be cheaper to use beet sugar over cane sugar if its purchased in bulk...chances are Panda Veg doesn't give a rats ass so I'm assuming they use it for cost

For sure Panda Veg doesn't give a rats ass! Why else would they insist on selling Arizona Tea with honey at a vegan restaurant. Then there are the "donuts", literally Pilsbury biscuits from a can. What do you want to bet they have cysteine?

My favorite visit was when the staff traded the vegan guys down at Little Ceasers some vegan chinese food for some Pepperoni Pizza and then proceeded to plop down at a table in the dining room! Nothing like a big old cheap-ass pepperoni pizza in the middle of a vegan restaurant.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think darth meant mock meats. I have a different issue though. i've grown a bit taller and could use a new pair of jeans and am wondering if anyone knows what the labels on jeans are made of. I know levi's are leather, but I'm really wondering about those brown ones on most jeans which are pretty thin. Is it some kind of paper product or really poor quality leather?

Yeah, I'm sure he meant mock meats, and I think we have an issue like that with a place here in Portland. Someone told me they say "whey" in the ingredients for something that is supposed to be served "vegan." At the Vegetarian House on 4th in China Town. That's just what I heard and wanted to pass it along as a heads up for those who eat there.

I look at jeans too. I always get the papery stuff, never the leather labels.

I think darth meant mock meats. I have a different issue though. i've grown a bit taller and could use a new pair of jeans and am wondering if anyone knows what the labels on jeans are made of. I know levi's are leather, but I'm really wondering about those brown ones on most jeans which are pretty thin. Is it some kind of paper product or really poor quality leather?

It's leather.

http://nosweatapparel.com/ has 100% vegan jeans(i'm wearing some now). They're a little on the expensive side but i mean you can wear jeans forever as long as they don't get too scummy.

Yeah, I'm sure he meant mock meats, and I think we have an issue like that with a place here in Portland. Someone told me they say "whey" in the ingredients for something that is supposed to be served "vegan." At the Vegetarian House on 4th in China Town. That's just what I heard and wanted to pass it along as a heads up for those who eat there.

I look at jeans too. I always get the papery stuff, never the leather labels.

that place is way sketchy! besides van hahn is cheaper and better!

Yay for Van Hahn!!!

http://www.vanhanhrestaurant.com/menu.aspx

I also like Van Hahn a LOT better than Veg. House but it's probably still wise to ask & be sure that stuff is vegan.

It's really a pain because I've noticed that some of the fake meats flip back & forth (same product & company, just different batches) between being vegan & not...

This is going to sound silly, but I don't think I've ever been to Van Hahn. And that just says how cool Portland is. There are way too many vegan friendly places to keep up with.

I also went to fuel cafe recently. Anyone been there? Mostly vegan. Who knew? It's on 14th and Alberta in NE. I've gone to multiple ethic places (2 Ethiopian places in the past few weeks), and there are lots of other places around here I need to check out.

I, like most of us, tend to go to the places that I'm familiar with and know that I can trust what the say is vegan is actually vegan.

YES!...............YES!...........YES!

Ok, back on topic. How vegan are you?

I'm vegan for all reasons but now I consider myself an "ethical vegan" when talking to people. And I don't eat the bread unless I check it or ask someone I can trust.

I just started to be vegan again after many years of reverting to being vegetarian. The first step I made towards that goal was to be vegan at home and lenient elsewhere. This proved a mediocre strategy since I ended up buying cheesy things and bringing them home anyway. Cheese was my biggest downfall before veganism.

I try to be pretty strict now, not eating honey, not eating bread that isn't vegan... I refuse restaurant bread not because it isn't vegan, but because mostly it's white bread with little substantial nutritional value. When I do have restaurant bread, I order it with olive oil instead of butter.

What about those packages that say "May contain traces of tree nuts, soy, and dairy products" when something is made on the same equipment as those items. I used to be so strict that I would even not eat things then. I think that's pushin' it, though.

What about those packages that say "May contain traces of tree nuts, soy, and dairy products" when something is made on the same equipment as those items. I used to be so strict that I would even not eat things then. I think that's pushin' it, though.

It's my understanding that they put that warning on labels for folks with extreme food allergies & that is it extremely unlikely that a vegan product will actually contain any signifigant amount of non-vegan stuff. So I eat stuff that has that on the package. Realistically, if you eat at any restaurant that isn't completely vegan then your likely eating food that was in contact with non-vegan stuff due to it sharing cookware, counter or cutting boards, storage space, etc...

Vegetarian house has some non-vegan items but most items should be vegan.. At least that was my discussion with the kids of the owners. They've warned me before if something I've been getting has whey/dairy in it. The kids do anyway. The other staff I don't know about.

Let me know when you guys are going to van hahn and I'll try to make it. My schedule is pretty tight but I like new restaurants. Van hahn and arcade?

As for vegan things at vegan places Gianna's in Philly is the best example...lots of vegan food and I think they were once completely vegan(so they said)...then they sold to someone who wanted to make it non vegan...but the kept the vegan pizza(with vegan cheese) for years along with deserts...lying the whole time about the cheese they used