MonaVie?

Sam801

I don't know if this would be an appropriate place for this thread... but i wanted to ask around here to see if anyone here has heard of or had MonaVie? and what are your opinions on it if so?

It's basically a health drink. fruit based from: acai berry, pomegranate, white grape, nashi pear, acerola, pear, aronia, purple grape, cranberry, passionfruit, banana, apricot, prune, kiwi, blueberry, bilberry, camu camu, wolfberry and lychee.

there is also an "active" version with added esterified fatty acids and gluscosamine.

i got into it with a friend over a year ago, mostly for the network marketing experience at first, but i found the main benifit of being a "distributor" was that i could buy it cheaper.

any thoughts? i'm no health guru so i'd like to here what you all think.

I was given a bottle of MonaVie to try by a friend of my parents. I checked over the label and noticed that it said "contains shellfish". I gave it back. The corporate structure looks a bit like a pyramid scam too, which I don't really like.

There are other acai berry products out there. I make Sambazon smoothies sometimes (Whole Foods carries it in the freezer aisle). I'm not a big juice fiend, but if I'm going to buy juice I usually get Bolthouse Farms, or Happy Planet (local Vancouver and awesome). They both make juices with lots of stuff in them.

I usually prefer to throw the fruit bowl and the salad crisper in the blender and hit the "on" switch. And some Vega for good measure.

So, yeah, MonaVie - shellfish, bad.

I was given a bottle of MonaVie to try by a friend of my parents. I checked over the label and noticed that it said "contains shellfish". I gave it back. The corporate structure looks a bit like a pyramid scam too, which I don't really like.

There are other acai berry products out there. I make Sambazon smoothies sometimes (Whole Foods carries it in the freezer aisle). I'm not a big juice fiend, but if I'm going to buy juice I usually get Bolthouse Farms, or Happy Planet (local Vancouver and awesome). They both make juices with lots of stuff in them.

I usually prefer to throw the fruit bowl and the salad crisper in the blender and hit the "on" switch. And some Vega for good measure.

So, yeah, MonaVie - shellfish, bad.

maybe you have it confused with another drink. i've been drinking it regularly for a year and a half. i even just looked at a bottle 2 seconds ago to double check. nothing is said about shellfish. 100% fruit ingredients totally vegan friendly.

it's also not a pyramid scam. it's a legit network marketing program, everythings fair. i looked pretty far into it before signing up. not a get rich quick thing by anymeans. honestly the only reason i'm a distributor is to be able to buy the stuff cheaper. anyone can sign up, it's like $40 and they send you some distributor kit thing with all sorts of info on it. after a few cases ordered, you make your money back in savings... but i would say that i've profitted really, but it's not a scam.

Weird - it was definitely Mona Vie and it definitely said "contains shellfish", like an allergy warning - maybe an old formulation? Oh well. Anything with tons of fruits in it, and no animals has got to be good.

I didn't mean any insult by referring to it as a pyramid scam - that was just the first thought I had when I heard the sales pitch from my dad. I'm a bit of a paranoid with things like these. I hadn't given it another thought until this thread. Does it still come in a wine bottle? The bottle I was given was like a wine bottle.

Weird - it was definitely Mona Vie and it definitely said "contains shellfish", like an allergy warning - maybe an old formulation? Oh well. Anything with tons of fruits in it, and no animals has got to be good.

I didn't mean any insult by referring to it as a pyramid scam - that was just the first thought I had when I heard the sales pitch from my dad. I'm a bit of a paranoid with things like these. I hadn't given it another thought until this thread. Does it still come in a wine bottle? The bottle I was given was like a wine bottle.

no offense taken, i was just as paranoid... the bottles arent green anymore, they're clear, but the same shape, and with the dark purple color they do look like wine. they also now have a gel version, though i havent tried it. the person who turned me on to it is a longtime vegan, so i'm sure that shellfish would have been brought up. he always refers to it as vegan super juice.

the stuff is way good, what i really like about it compared to alot of other acai boasting drinks is that it's so pure and raw. it has a really strong taste, not the sugared down type of drink.

could it have been sulfites?

that would make more sense i guess if it's an allergy type warning to do with fruits.

Yeah, could very well have been this "activated" version. The shellfish note was not in the ingredients, but somewhere else in smaller print. It was definitely not sulphites (bit of a slightly reformed oenophile here so I wouldn't make that mistake). My dad was the one who passed it on to me from his friend and he didn't notice it (he's vegan too and reads labels on everything).

Interesting.

• 4 months later...