*POM Wonderful Halts Animal Testing!*

robert

For Immediate Release

January 18, 2007

*POM Wonderful Halts Animal Testing!*

*Animal Activists Declare Victory as *Pomegranate Juice Maker Halts

Cruel Experiments

In a letter to retailers on Wednesday, POM Wonderful executives stated they would stop

cruel and unnecessary animal testing on their products, effective immediately. Coming

less than 24 hours after Whole Foods Markets threatened to pull POM products off the

shelves April 1st if animal testing was not stopped, the move was an unmitigated victory

for animal activists who have been protesting POM Wonderful executives and owners Stewart

and Lyda Resnick for months.

"POM Wonderful pomegranate juice has ceased all animal testing and we have no plans to do

so in the future," Lynda and Stewart Resnick, owners of POM parent company Roll

International, wrote to all POM retailers by e-mail or post on Wednesday. Ironically,

only last Saturday, company owner Stewart Resnick exited his Beverly Hills mansion and

yelled at activists protesting there: "I don't care if you protest me for 45 years - I

will never stop testing on animals!"

After being exposed last year as funding cruel and unnecessary animal experiments, in

which baby mice were deprived of oxygen and rabbits had their penile arteries severed,

POM has seen legal demonstrations at the homes of its executives and owners in Los

Angeles as well as a recent claim alleging product tampering on the East Coast, where an

anonymous communique to the North American Animal Liberation Press Office stated that 487

bottles of POM juice had been tainted with some kind of gastrointestinal irritant. Wild

Oats grocers pulled the product off their shelves at that time.

(full communique at

http://www.animalliberationpressoffice.org/communiques/2006-12-14_pom.htm)

The National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Better Business Bureau has recommended POM

Wonderful discontinue its "puffery" and hyperbolic health claims regarding its

pomegranate juice. NAD Director Andrea Levine reported that the claims were the strongest

she'd ever seen for a food product, yet POM continues to make outrageous claims that its

juice benefits cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

As detailed in a company press release last month, POM vice-president Fiona Possell

resigned her position as company spokesperson, acknowledging animal rights activists as

the reason for her resignation. The North American Animal Liberation Press Office is

currently seeking a written statement from POM Wonderful detailing their promise to stop

testing on animals, either in-house or through the continued use of outside facilities

such as UCLA.

- 30 -

North American Animal Liberation Press Office

www.animalliberationpressoffice.org

[email protected]

(818) 932-9997

"When a person places the proper value on freedom, there is nothing under the sun that

she will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you hear a person saying he wants

freedom, but in the next breath she is going to tell you what she won't do to get it, or

what he doesn't believe in doing in order to get it, he doesn't believe in freedom. A

person who believes in freedom will do anything under the sun to acquire...or preserve

his freedom."-- Malcolm X

Yeah, Whole Foods is a super cool company! They are only going to get cooler and they begin to implement more and more vegan ways of doing things into the company on a global scale.

Things take time, but that company is moving in the right direction on a lot of issues.

Yay Whole Foods!

• 5 weeks later...

Good...it keeps you from eating too much other stuff I figure if your trying to lose weight and you start every day with a pomegranite you'll be good to go since you won't have time to eat anything else

This is great news.

Still don't know if I want to buy from a company that used to be gung-ho about animal testing, and only stopped after a lot of pressure was put on them. Maybe I'll just declare a moratorium, and if they continue with their good behavior for a year, I'll buy again (though I do prefer Naked Juice's pomegranate blend).