Let's talk about GAS

Ok - I know noone likes to to discuss this . . . but, I can't imagine I am the only one who deals with this. . .

I eat 80 -90% fruits and vegetables - both raw and cooked . . . in addition, I consume small amounts of nuts, tofu/tempeh/soy products and whole grains - maybe one, sometimes two servings a day.

Well, I get terrible gas pains . . . they make me so unfortable - they sometimes limit my acitivity and make me cranky!!

I know about soaking the nuts and grains - but, I don't think I eat enough of them to matter.

I really think it's the fruits and veggies . . . I try to chew well - but, this is not a strength of mine ...

Any tips are greatly appreciated!! Is BEANO vegan?????????

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be all the protein but one thing that really helps me out is not eating fruit before my meals of beans, and I do that for meals which will have tofu and other things. Acid soothe is a vegan gas aid. It works well, and i dont think its too expensive but my health food store has not gotten in the stuff they said they would yet. So I am without.

Yeah - gas is unfortunate but, great in a comedic situation with the kiddies. Seriously though - depending on how thick the skins are on certain fruits usually determines the amount of gas for me. More gas seems to be produced breaking that stuff down. I absolutely HAVE to peel apples. Fresh peppers give me minimal gas but, definitely enough to notice my stomach squeaking and I seem to be doing fine with the cherries - pretty thin skin on those. Too much onion seems to be a definite no-no for me and brocolli and brussel sprouts always act different depending on the situation but, I love them too much to care.

I just go with the gaseous flow. Not much else I can do about it. O yea - I had to cut out young thai coconut water as well because that was a culprit too. Must be the type of fat it was or something.

I had probably similar if not the same problems as you have, and i noticed tat it was when i ate mostly raw fruti, veggies etc.

i guess its not from the protein because i eat nowadays a lot more protein than then and i don't have that big problems with gas.

Of course, I still fart from time to time.

I find hemp protein to be incredibly heavy, I do better mixing some raw hemp seed in with my foods lately for digestive comfort. Works great in salad dressings. I also like food processing hemp seed with a banana and a little vanilla bean or carob.

Gas is something I think of as a sign of bad food combining and digestive trouble. You can read a lot of standard "rules" out there, but I have figured out what works for me through trial and error.

I have found dried fruits are bad in general also.

I almost never have gas if I am eating well, and definately have not felt digestive pain in quite some time.

Oregonisaac - I think from my experience . . .I totally agree with you.

Even though the protein says it's just ground raw hemp - something about it - maybe the fiber content - just doesn't jive with me .

I did one tablespoon (one quarter the recommended serving) and I seem to be all good today.

• 3 months later...

Alright, I'm bumpin this back up. Having difficulties lately... silent but deadly difficulties. I can you usually diagnose the problem and "nip it in the butt" (pun intended) but I think I might have some difficulties with this one. Usually I feel I get excess gas from too much refined grain fiber, ie. the Ezekiel 4:9 cereal that I eat, but I've cut back on that and increased my consumption of berries lately and mixing them in smoothies:

30 grams Ezekiel 4:9

300 grams Fruit (Choosing one from: Blueberries, Raspberries, Cherries, Grapefruit, or Cranberries)

5 oz -----Leafy Greens --- (Kale or Spinach)

1 Tblspn Udo's DHA Oil

30g protein from Rice or Gemma (powders)

This puts this smoothie around 75g carbs, 15g fat, 36g protein, and 15g fiber, give or take a little for choice of fruit. Now it seems like this may be the culprit as I have been having two of these a day for the last few days.

---I read that salicylates may cause gas and blueberries, cherries, grapefruit are high in salicylates. Could this be it?

---Or is it the abundance amount of fruit in one serving causing it?

---Or the combining of other foods with the fruit?

---Maybe I need to supplement enzymes or probiotics..? Would that help?

Recommendations are welcomed... please!

I like the addition of more berries (fruit) to my diet instead of dominating my carbs with grains. But I don't want to resort to wearing these bad boys "Under-Ease" Anti-flatulence underwear... three letters... h-o-t! I also prefer not to take simethicone, activated charcoal, or alpha galactosidase.

Geez it just seems like it is always something with me and gas... I go for such good periods with none and something comes up. Things that I know personally cause me to be flatulent:

Loading on creatine

Refined grains

Dairy (back in the day)

Wheat products (back in the day)

Too much fiber

Eating too fast

Drinking too much water with a meal

Not letting the air settle out of a smoothie

Dried fruits

Starchy Veggies

Excess amounts of powder protein... (why does this have to be? ).. and especially if I drink it too fast.

Edited by Troy

cool!

I've had some major gas lately! I haven't been eating much soy for months but now that I'm keeping track of protein and calories, I'm eating three 20g soy protein bars a day and it hasn't been treating my stomach very well.

I'm not sure if it's the soy, it may not be. It could be something else. But the gas has been flowing, which keeps our heat and energy bill down during the cold winter.

Natural Gas provided by Robert Cheeke, LMT, LLGP (Legal Licensed Gas Provider)

I personally had some major gas issues (at least it kept the stragglers out of my office at work!) until I stopped combining my fruits and proteins in one shake.

Now that I have my fruit smoothie by itself, and all of my protein shakes by themselves, the situation has DEFINITELY improved. I've listed my daily nutrition in another post http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/rob/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8705, but as much as I enjoy it, it's structured to be the laziest way for me to sustain myself through training in a healthy-ish way -- it's definitely not something I'd recommend to people, and it's heavy on the Vega so it's pretty pricey, but I've been feeling better and better every day since I've been doing it.

I think that anyone taking in a little more food than their body normally wants, for the purposes of facilitating muscle gain, can expect at least a little bit of extra gas; but when it got to the point that I had to keep the fan on, and a window open in my office all day, things had to change!

Another key thing for me seems to be making sure that I don't eat too much of any one thing in a day.

cool!

I've had some major gas lately! I haven't been eating much soy for months but now that I'm keeping track of protein and calories, I'm eating three 20g soy protein bars a day and it hasn't been treating my stomach very well.

I'm not sure if it's the soy, it may not be. It could be something else. But the gas has been flowing, which keeps our heat and energy bill down during the cold winter.

Natural Gas provided by Robert Cheeke, LMT, LLGP (Legal Licensed Gas Provider)

Just don't light a match.

I know this is kind of personal but I enjoy farting! I bet its the beans. Just last weekend I ate 3lbs of baked beans(all at once) and the next day I murdered everyone. Typically beans do nothing to me, but in excess it surely did do wonders. Gas that hurts the stomach is a little different. I hate that type. But a little toot here and there, I say dont worry about it--and just make some music.

I know this is kind of personal but I enjoy farting! I bet its the beans. Just last weekend I ate 3lbs of baked beans(all at once) and the next day I murdered everyone. Typically beans do nothing to me, but in excess it surely did do wonders. Gas that hurts the stomach is a little different. I hate that type. But a little toot here and there, I say dont worry about it--and just make some music.

Might be the combined sugar with the beans causing that.

Am I the only one who doesn't really have this problem?

Went away for the most part early on in my veganism...

Try probiotics, like the Lifetime acidophillus blend and L Reuteri by Nature's Way...

I only get gas when

- I haven't eaten beans for a long time, then go back

- I eat brown rice very close to bed time

- I don't eat cruciferous vegetables for a long time then start again

- Eat legumes and/or cruciferous vegetables several meals in a row without taking a break with an easy to digest meal ( soy food and/or pasta, bread etc )

That's awesome Octopussoir !

I bet you're farting in your aviator