making almond milk

Hero

so I soaked almonds over night. and decided to throw them with some water into the blender. cause I am having a rough time just getting myself to eat nuts, but I will eat anything in drink form.

if I was to strain out the pulp and drink just the almond milk, wouldnt it be void of nutrition, since I am technically only drinking part of the almond instead of the whole nut?

and what am I supposed to do with the raw almond pulp?

for now I didnt strain and I have very chuncky almond milk which let me to the great idea of making a smoothie. I threw in banana, grapes, and coconut. its good!

How about just putting them into a little food processor and making almond butter and put on apple slices?

Or add a little bit of water to make like a "raw sauce". Add alittle raw agave nectar and put over a fruit salad?

But when in doubt, a smoothie is the way to go!

How about just putting them into a little food processor and making almond butter and put on apple slices?

Or add a little bit of water to make like a "raw sauce". Add alittle raw agave nectar and put over a fruit salad?

But when in doubt, a smoothie is the way to go!

I dont have a processor. I dont want to be one of those complciated raw foodists...I think that kind of defeats the purpose of raw foods. A blender is as far as I will go, cause i am able to drink more raw foods that I can eat them. and its a lot easier than chopping em all up by hand lol.

but almond butter sounds amazing.

I dont eat fruit salads. I just eat fruit mono. but i do eat green salads with tomatos and such.

a raw sauce wouldnt be a bad idea. strain out the almond pulp and put it on top of a salad...

I never thought of that. I usually just throw in raw onions in my salads and no dressings.. a few times Ive tried hummus and loved it, but hummus isnt raw.

so ive been eating a lot of plain salads and letting my tastebuds get used to that.

but i will try this raw almond sauce for my salad (minus the agave nectar)

thanks

yes smoothies rock!

A food processor is not really any different than a blender...the only difference is that its wide instead of deep. Also you can make raw hummus and its easy...plus its way more raw than nearly any nut you can find.

This is definately getting into an area you don't want to go from your last post, but my roommate dehydrates the almond pulp, grinds it into flour, and then makes raw almond biscotti out of it.

Yeah.. RAW.. Any processing is processing. You figure out how much of it you want.

All RAW foodists who blend, JUICE, dry etc are fooling themselves. If they think its ONLY HEAT that kills nutrients they are wrong. They should keep a PIECE of food / fruit out see it CHANGE.

As Topher says - he someday wants to be able to pick fruits of a tree. That is ULTIMATE.

But, if you want eat things unprocessed how YOUR BODY was designed to absorb those nutrients, I cant find a better argument than CHEWING the food.

If someone forgot their Diet & Nutrition 101 - The enzymes and stuff in our SALIVA is designed to PRE-PROCESS the RAW food (bite & chew.. not blend) so that it is ready with the right kind of pieces + saliva as it enters the stomach.

I think Blending & juicing take away that PRE PROCESSING one has with Saliva.

Remember when your mom told you to always chew your food. It wasnt just about it not getting stuck or you getting indigestion. It was more.

Chewing food into little bits of food, is not the same as a blender cutting it up into little tiny bits of food? Is the shearing of the food by a blender into tinier bits where the nutrients are released with more surface area seemingly better than the large bits of food produced by chewing? The mechanics sound similar to me, thus in your definition chewing would be processing too. Your body needs to process the food. Whether it is inside or outside the body, as long as the raw material is not chemically altered, but just physically altered?

Also the saliva is to break down the food, which has already been physically done by the blender. There is still enzymes in your stomache to break down the food particles, and in fact with such a large surface area to work with and nothing in the middle to really breakdown, it would digest so much faster.

Chewing food into little bits of food, is not the same as a blender cutting it up into little tiny bits of food? Is the shearing of the food by a blender into tinier bits where the nutrients are released with more surface area seemingly better than the large bits of food produced by chewing?

This is not about increasing surface area.

The mechanics sound similar to me, thus in your definition chewing would be processing too.

No - Chewing is what we were meant to do. We were not meant to drink every piece of food out there. CHEWING IS NATURAL

Your body needs to process the food. Whether it is inside or outside the body, as long as the raw material is not chemically altered, but just physically altered?

There is a slight alteration and composition when we chew v/s when we simply swallow.

Also the saliva is to break down the food, which has already been physically done by the blender.

So you are saying SALIVA and BLENDER are equivalent? I dont think so. Its like feeding a COW liquified grass and feeding a TIGER liquified / blended meat.

That is not natural. Same applies to us. For all so called RAW FOOD PURISTS... This is as pure as you can try to get.

There is still enzymes in your stomache to break down the food particles, and in fact with such a large surface area to work with and nothing in the middle to really breakdown, it would digest so much faster.

This is not about increasing surface area for PHYSICS. Why do some things hit your blood stream with high GL and others with low GL? Is how their NATURAL or MANMADE structure causes absorption.

The more NATURAL the food, the pieces, the chewing - the better it is.

I thought i read this somewhere, but I remember something like your tongue tastes the food and sends signals to your body so it know what type of enzymes to use for digestion.. but maybe im just imagining this.

Let me add some things: Chewing start a cascade of processes all important to properly digest the food which we eat. E.g. when chewing start the stomach is already getting ready by producing stomach acid. But when you drink food the digestive system is totally unprepared.

The argument that the surface and the availability is increased by blending is not well founded IMO. The food we are meant to eat is already (by nature) in a state in which we can easily eat (usually without further processing) and digest it. Nutrition is not only about getting as much as we can get but getting as much as we need. As most vegans know to force more protein (especially from animal "food") into a human body than the body needs can cause significant health problems.

Let me add some things: Chewing start a cascade of processes all important to properly digest the food which we eat. E.g. when chewing start the stomach is already getting ready by producing stomach acid. But when you drink food the digestive system is totally unprepared.

The argument that the surface and the availability is increased by blending is not well founded IMO. The food we are meant to eat is already (by nature) in a state in which we can easily eat (usually without further processing) and digest it. Nutrition is not only about getting as much as we can get but getting as much as we need. As most vegans know to force more protein (especially from animal "food") into a human body than the body needs can cause significant health problems.

I completely agree.

OregonIsaac - I agree with you on the PRACTICALITY of not being able to CHEW everything - time, strength, patience.. etc.

So I eat cooked foods, drink blended smoothies & jamba juices, etc due t practical time & portability reasons. But I try to add as much RAW CHEWING to my diet.

The point of my argument being..

Chewed > Chopped > Blended > Dehydrated / Dried > (COOKED) Steamed > Boiled > Fried.. etc.

I think for so called RAW FOOD purists.. and their arguments around Nutrition.. and food AS IS from Nature.. they need to go up that chain.. For some reason the so called DEHUMIDIFIERs are probably not top of that nutrition scale.

Just a thought.

PS: People.. please dont try CHEWING a coconut okay.. he he.. You have to Chop / Break its shell first.. ..