Bread?

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

VegaNick
Rabbit

Bread?

#1 Postby VegaNick » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:19 am

I have been vegan for 3 1/2 years now and I have recently developed symptoms similiar to IBS. I went to the doctor and he mentioned an allergy to wheat could be possible. Long story short I stopped eating bread and wheat for about 5 days and my symptoms dissappeared. Has anyone experienced anything like this, I was always under the influence that I would never have bowel problems due to my diet.

Zack
Mastodon

#2 Postby Zack » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:51 pm

I found out I was as well. Bread will clog you up for sure.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

chesty leroux
Elephant

#3 Postby chesty leroux » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm

i think its something i have been experiencing as well...
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

Evan
Manatee

#4 Postby Evan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:19 pm

Bread doesn't affect me that way but because of the fact that vegan breads are either hard to find or expensive or unhealthy (high fructose corn syrup added) I always make my own breads which means I don't eat bread very often because I don't have that much time for cooking and baking. Going vegan has resulted in me eating less bread but I was never a big bread eater anyway, unless it was garlic bread. Yays for the IBS going away. That's killer.
www.cafepress.com/veganstyle <---t-shirts with a vegan theme

veganpotter

#5 Postby veganpotter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 pm

Make your own bread...its cheap($0.40-0.60 per loaf) and it will be vegan so then you can know if you feel lousy eating a lot of bread. I feel fine when I eat a lot of bread...however I put on weight like crazy

minimalistica
Rabbit

#6 Postby minimalistica » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 pm

What is IBS?

My father was vegan for most of his adult life and had a wheat and gluten allergy. Is this similar?

I don't have any trouble with bread. In fact, I used to enjoy making whole wheat rolls out of this baking stuff that is made by the same company that makes the Egg Replacer.

I dunno. To each their own, eh?
"Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn whatever state I am in, therin to be content." - Helen Keller

Sam801
Rabbit

#7 Postby Sam801 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 pm

i love bread, i eat alot of sandwiches... tofurkey, veggie burgers, sloppy joes, ect... mmmm. it also seems to be a pretty decent source of protein.

i don't have trouble finding vegan breads, grandma sycamores white bread is vegan, i don't think i've been to a grocery store that doesnt carry it. not too expensive either, like $1.50-$2.00 for a loaf usually. the "old home" buns are vegan and priced normal too compared to say, wonder. i see them everywhere too. thats the stuff i normally buy. sometimes when i go to wild oats i get the multigrain or wheat stuff which is awesome.

i don't honestly pay much mind to what breads healthier than the other though. i just eat whats available when i'm hungry.

Kathryn
Elephant

#8 Postby Kathryn » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:53 pm

From what I've read, wheat is not a grain we should be eatiing much of. It acidifies the body, often harbors molds and funguses because it is stored for a long time in silos, it is one of the most allergy-inducing foods, and is very hybridized.

Better is spelt or kamut (less-hybridized forms of wheat that are lower in gluten). Or organic sprouted wheat, if it's not possible to avoid wheat altogether.

michaelhobson
Elephant

#9 Postby michaelhobson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:49 pm

Kathryn wrote:Or organic sprouted wheat, if it's not possible to avoid wheat altogether.

:shock: Didn't you just post a "wheat" gluten recipe? :?

Richard
Site Admin

#10 Postby Richard » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:27 am

I go without bread for long periods of time, and then when I eat it again, I feel bloated and stuff. I have / had IBS, although that was mainly when I was vegetarian years ago. Now I don't have many symptoms, I guess it was mainly milk and cheese that was gutulating me.

Kathryn
Elephant

#11 Postby Kathryn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:14 am

michaelhobson wrote:
:shock: Didn't you just post a "wheat" gluten recipe? :?

That doesn't mean I eat much of it now.
People are at different places on their dietary journey. At one point, I did use more seitan and gluten, now I rarely do.
I was just responding to someone's request for a recipe. Obviously, that person still eats it. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”