Basic muscle building

Hi all.

My training changes and evolves all the time. Last year I was doing a entirely super slow work, but this can be too psychologically testing, big cheating weight lifting styles can cause injuries so easily so over the past three months I have been following a fairly basic system. I like to lift heavy (heavy for me) and to be quite honest bigger movements can bring more definition than direct ones. Eg a big press behind neck builds up delts miles better than a thousand laterals, which I find put a lot of strain on the joint.

I train alone so I do old fashioned hack squats with an olympic bar (my personal best is 190kg in February).

I don't do mulptiple sets with the same weight, just the one, except for those pesky calves!

I hope my routine is of interest to anyone. I'm making great gains at the moment. I'm 5feet11 and 90 kg. My waist is 32 inches when I suck it in hard!

This week

Day 1 Legs

Good Mornings 15kgx30

Hack squat 75x10/ 95x6/ 115x4/ 135x 3/ 145 x1/ 155x1/ 165x1/175x1 (and then come down the pyramid) (No belt or supports)

Front squats 60x4/ 70x3/ 80x2/ 90x2/ 100x1 (then down)

Seated calf raises 120x 50/50/50

Then go inside and walk up the stairs

15kg x 60 reps (three steps at a time)

30kg x 40 reps (two steps at a time) This hurts a lot!

Day 2 Chest and Triceps

Bench Press 75x8/ 90x4/ 110x 2/ 120x1 (then pyramid down)

Close grip bench press 60x8/ 70x4/ 80x 2 (pyramid down)

DB Bench Press 32.5 kg(x2) x 4 reps (slow 12 second lower)

Lying triceps ext 30kg x 5 (slow 12 sec lower)

Day three Back and Biceps

Deadlift (same weights and reps as hack squat) (belt)

Barbell bent over rows 70x6/90x5/110x2/125x1 (pyramid down)

Barbell curls 40x8/50x4/60x2/70x1

Db Bent over rows 60kg db x 3 reps (slow 12 second lower)

1 rep chin close grip (35 second lower)

Day four Shoulders

DB one arm presses 20x8/25x4/27.5x2/30x1 (pyramid down)

Press behind neck 60x 2/ 65x1/70x1

Power Cleans 70x2/75x2/80x2/85x1 (pyramid down)

Day five = day off

I hope someone will find this of interest. I try and increase either weights just a tad each workout, and/or reps a little.

It's a hard routine but it's not very long. I like it and it's working for me at the moment.

What does everyone think?

cheers

Looks good Robb, some serious iron being thrown around, I like.

It's challenging but you def wont be overtraining. There is alot of heavy lifting but you don't overdue it on the sets each day for each bp.

One thing though, may I ask why you use a belt for deadlifts? I have never used one; I have always felt that using a belt takes your lower back out of the exercise which is the primary muscle i'd like to focus on. I have lifted as much as 5 1/2 plates on each side without a belt and my back never felt any ill pain, if injury was your worry. Just gotta make sure you can handle the weight and that your form is good.

Hi guys

Cheers for the supportive words. It's nice to hear from you.

Deadlifting and a belt? I know what's being said, and I am not one to rely on supports a great deal, but I pinged my back a couple of times about ten years ago, once due to a minute grip slip when deadlifing then the second time just it had healed diving/rugby tackling over a stream to stop my greyhound chasing a rabbit, she was fine, I wasn't, but the rabbit got away! Crazy I know. But since then I have always felt uncomfortable one repping on the deadlift without a belt. It's psychological, but when you feel safe you can perform. I try and stick to just the one reppers and the belt comes off as I pyramid down. But there you go.

Has anyone tried lunge walking? I love this sort of thing.I read an article by a guy called Jeff King about twenty years ago, don't know if he's still about, he loaded up a bar, slung it on his shoulders and set off lunging round a field. He had big thighs. I'm thinking of putting it into my leg routing for some extra oomph!