Swim with Sunscreen and Kill Coral Reefs?

DV

Ah another one of the benefits of being a sun avoiding, beach avoiding, devishly handsome programmer. I can add it to these benefits:

- younger looking skin from not getting exposed to the sun

- avoiding all manor of diseases from avoiding the beach and the ocean

- peace of mind in not seeing the general public in swim suits

- reduced risk of skin cancer

Now I am green too

Funny how people spent millenia in the sun without sun cancer big a big issue.

The environment then was different from the environment now.

You're right. People spend to much time inside. Nobody is used to sun exposure.(i'm guilty)

You're right. People spend to much time inside. Nobody is used to sun exposure.(i'm guilty)

Plus, we're receiving more UV, right?

Funny thing about that quote from me is that it's not my quote. Not one single word I wrote in about three sentences is there now.

EDIT: Okay this time I edited my own post so as to make less of an ass of myself.

Edited by michaelhobson

It's amazing that I have to come back and edit my post to say what it originally said. Way to go mods!

WHAT I REALLY SAID

Ah another one of the benefits of being a sun avoiding, beach avoiding, devishly handsome programmer. I can add it to these benefits:

- younger looking skin from not getting exposed to the sun

- avoiding all manor of diseases from avoiding the beach and the ocean

- peace of mind in not seeing the general public in swim suits

- reduced risk of skin cancer

Now I am green too

Funny how people spent millenia in the sun without skin cancer being a big issue. Then came sunscreen? Just another reason not to use it.

As far as not seeing the general public in swim suits, I adore chubby girls in bikinis.

Edited by michaelhobson

Michael;

It was my quote that was attributed to you. If you are a "victim", so am I. I'm not getting excited about it, because I don't think it was deliberate.

People have done that to me before, here and on other web boards. You don't need to be a moderator, even here, to mislabel a quote. It has always been a matter of it being an accident.

I was wondering about that quote. I didn't quite get it. I bet someone made a mistake. The mods here mostly keep the spam away rather than deleting or changing our posts. You could pm them and ask who did it. I'm sure there is a simple explanation.

Michael;

It was my quote that was attributed to you. If you are a "victim", so am I. I'm not getting excited about it, because I don't think it was deliberate.

People have done that to me before, here and on other web boards. You don't need to be a moderator, even here, to mislabel a quote. It has always been a matter of it being an accident.

Beforewisdom, it's not a mis-attributed quote. See above, my whole post was changed. But, if those are your words, then it looks like you hit edit rather than reply. You really need to be more careful when using your moderator priveliges. It's not cool at all to completely stomp on someone else's post.

Beforewisdom, it's not a mis-attributed quote. See above, my whole post was changed. But, if those are your words, then it looks like you hit edit rather than reply. You really need to be more careful when using your moderator priveliges. It's not cool at all to completely stomp on someone else's post.

I promised Robert that the only thing I would do as a moderator is delete spam.

I don't want to edit other people's posts where my quote is misattributed to you.

However, I think you can edit or delete your own posts. Especially the ones with the increased font size. I think the the other people involved who have a misattribution are mods and can alter their posts upon request. If that works for you I can delete your rant thread with your permission.

I promised Robert that the only thing I would do as a moderator is delete spam.

I don't want to edit other people's posts where my quote is misattributed to you.

However, I think you can edit or delete your own posts. Especially the ones with the increased font size. I think the the other people involved who have a misattribution are mods and can alter their posts upon request. If that works for you I can delete your rant thread with your permission.

BW, I can't edit the original post that was stomped. But, I just edited all my oversized rage, even before reading your request. As for the rant thread, I have already apologized there as well. Let's leave it up as the over-moderation issue was never really resolved in the previous thread-locking dialogue.

So one last time, sorry for making an ass of myself.

I still go out to get my vitamin D

It's very important!

I used to be such a vampire though lol

I am with you Marcina, I want to get Vit D from a natural source too. But I love the sun, I am not afraid of it. I do wear sunscreen though, I live in a Desert and don't want to have rubber skin later in live.

As far as Skin cancer goes, that is my least worry I don't allow myself to get burnt. Speaking of sun, time to take a power walk, and will be outside at the pool for an hour or so today. I am so glad I am not fair skinned.

You can get skin cancer without burning!

I used to tan beautifully despite being fair skinned (unlike my sisters) and therefore thought I didn't need to worry about skin cancer. I got a basal cell carcinoma on my left nares (nostril) when I was 32. By the time the cancer was removed, I had undergone 4 operations (one was 5 1/2 hours long) and have a left nares that's been reconstructed with cartilage from my ear and skin from my cheek. I was exceptionally lucky to have private health insurance and knew of (and worked with) an excellent plastic surgeon who was willing to actually take my insurance - he didn't have to but did it as a favor. Now, you don't notice the scar unless you know about it but the healing process took over 12 months.

And the size of the lesion on my nose was this big: .

So please be smart about sun exposure. A tan (which is a sign of sun damage) is not necessary for vitamin D synthesis. Less than an hour a few days per week (unless you are very dark skinned) should do it, although that still might cause a slight tan depending on where you live.

You can get skin cancer without burning!

I used to tan beautifully despite being fair skinned (unlike my sisters) and therefore thought I didn't need to worry about skin cancer. I got a basal cell carcinoma on my left nares (nostril) when I was 32. By the time the cancer was removed, I had undergone 4 operations (one was 5 1/2 hours long) and have a left nares that's been reconstructed with cartilage from my ear and skin from my cheek. I was exceptionally lucky to have private health insurance and knew of (and worked with) an excellent plastic surgeon who was willing to actually take my insurance - he didn't have to but did it as a favor. Now, you don't notice the scar unless you know about it but the healing process took over 12 months.

And the size of the lesion on my nose was this big: .

So please be smart about sun exposure. A tan (which is a sign of sun damage) is not necessary for vitamin D synthesis. Less than an hour a few days per week (unless you are very dark skinned) should do it, although that still might cause a slight tan depending on where you live.

So sorry you had skin cancer and had to go through all that. You are right just because you can tan doesn't mean you can't get skin cancer.

Arizona sun is extreme and I wouldn't recommend any fair skinned person to get out in the sun without protection ever. I spent my whole life living in the midwest with the crappy weather, and not going to do that here. A lot of people use umbrellas here or big hats, so they can enjoy the outdoors. Lots of sunscreen and taking my walks and cycling in the early AM and before dark. But I still tan right through the sun screen, but better than nothing. My husband and I do enjoy going to the pool, but I time it and if he wants to stay out longer than 40mins I sit in the shade. We only do this once a week usually. This year I got my tan in March when it was only in the 70's, rays are still strong but nothing like when it is 120 here.

I don't use sunscreen or anything like that and I've lived in Arizona for several years.

I don't understand how someone (me) whose family has been under the sun in the Caribbean (way more intense) for thousands of years could even develop skin cancer. Is this ignorant of me? Is there something more to it? Am I oversimplifying things here? I am not a biologist so I don't know.

I don't use sunscreen or anything like that and I've lived in Arizona for several years.

I don't understand how someone (me) whose family has been under the sun in the Caribbean (way more intense) for thousands of years could even develop skin cancer. Is this ignorant of me? Is there something more to it? Am I oversimplifying things here? I am not a biologist so I don't know.

DV's comment made me do more research today and there is a lot of information out there. All people can get skin cancer from the sun. Our diets can help too, and since we are all Vegan and I am sure healthy eaters we have a good weapon against the cancer. People of color do have a lot less cases but theirs is so deadly because they don't know they have it in time.

I have been outside twice today already but have my sun screen on, maybe one of these days I will quit spending so much time out doors, but you live in Tucson you understand, who wants to be inside here?

I guess better to be safe than sorry, I will keep wearing my screen. Oh so far I haven't found anything above SPF 32 protection in an all natural product.