Question for the Ladies only - Vegan and Time of Month

BethL

Hi Girls,

Hey I wanted to ask you all a question. I have been doing some research but really haven't found all the answers I am looking for. Since you have been a Vegan has your mentral cycle changed?

All I can find out is, some women who are true vegetarians skip periods, but apparently this is due to low body fat. Mine have been a lot lighter since I because a Vegetarian last October but I have only been a Vegan a couple months and this month I didn't start till 35 days later, and that is very unusual for me, I have been on a 21 day cycle of a while now. I am trying to narrow down some things here, I will be 46 in Sept so things could be changing on their own too, but I really believe my diet is playing a huge part. What is your experience?

When i was a cheesyeggsitarian my periods were nasty, sore, heavy and highly irregular.

Now I don't even have to keep track of them since they come with a day of symptoms, then go lightly for a day to let me ease in and get things ready..... before I became vegan, it was all i could do to grab the nearest mattress or something to try and stem the sudden waterfalls of blood every month-or-thereabouts.

To say that I'm happy would be an understatement, on the period front.

Maybe mine are getting a bit lighter and further apart (I used to menstruate every 18 to 25 days) but it may be age related. Also, I use the The Keeper (similar to the Diva Cup) now so I don't really know if my flow is different.

When I became vegan my cycle remained regular but lighter and shorter and PMS symptoms disappeared. I did have a couple of cycles that were longer than my 28 day regular cycle, once it was 35 days. But I can pinpoint it without a doubt to emotional stresses during those two particular cycles (a big move and a breakup). Although stress is still stress whether is comes emotionally, physically, nutritionally, etc and the body will likely react the same to any stress. So take a look at all things in your life.. make sure you are getting all of your nutrition if you suspect it is the vegan diet, if that seems okay, have you been overtraining? Although exercise is the best, too much is a bad stress just like anything else. Take a look at emotional stresses, changes in your life, you could be right, perhaps it is natural changes that come with age.

Thanks for the responses so far. I read them all and will try to blend the responses together.

I do watch my diet like a Hawk to make sure I get all the nutrients I am suppose to get. But I totally contribue not having much PMS to my diet. From what I have read PMS is not normal, it is a deficiency. I used to have it bad until I stopped eating processed foods and started eating healthier even when I was a meat eater it went away for the most part.

I did read that people who eat meat may have a heavier flow, worse cramps and pms due to the hormones in meat. I guess that makes since.

So far we have some women who have noticed a change and others who have not. This is what I am trying to figure out, is mine age related too? That could very well be. I know a couple women who stopped completely by 45 unless they were taking hormones. I am not going to go spend the money on tests yet, I want to wait longer.

Oh one other thing, my stress level has never effected my cycle in the past, but I have been under finacial stress the last couple weeks. Might be a combination of everything. I am back to making happy faces on my calendar again lol

I don't think anything has changed with my becoming vegan. They may possibly be a little lighter, but that would be all. As far as cramps go, I usually only get them my first day for a few hours when I begin my cycle, but I think that was the same before too, except maybe they're not as bad. I think a lot of it has to do with getting in better shape as well.

I think a lot of it has to do with getting in better shape as well.

I think this is true for me, too. I went vegan as a teenager, but I was a junkfood vegan and didn't work out consistently. I didn't notice any change in cramps or other menstrual symptoms as compared to when I was just vegetarian. BUT once I started eating healthier foods, decreasing my caffeine intake (soda and coffee; I'm still a green tea junkie) and exercising regularly I noticed a positive change. My cramps aren't nearly as bad as they used to be; I think that's the biggest difference.

I don't think anything has changed with my becoming vegan. They may possibly be a little lighter, but that would be all. As far as cramps go, I usually only get them my first day for a few hours when I begin my cycle, but I think that was the same before too, except maybe they're not as bad. I think a lot of it has to do with getting in better shape as well.

Exercising just seems to have a positive effect on our whole lives. I have been doing it forever and I seem to be younger looking and have less stress than any of my friends my age. Got to keep moving

I think a lot of it has to do with getting in better shape as well.

I think this is true for me, too. I went vegan as a teenager, but I was a junkfood vegan and didn't work out consistently. I didn't notice any change in cramps or other menstrual symptoms as compared to when I was just vegetarian. BUT once I started eating healthier foods, decreasing my caffeine intake (soda and coffee; I'm still a green tea junkie) and exercising regularly I noticed a positive change. My cramps aren't nearly as bad as they used to be; I think that's the biggest difference.

Wow Larua, that is incredible you became Vegan as a teen, great I wish I would have became a true vegetarian a lot sooner, but I am here now. The way I look at it, I have ate enough animals for three lifetimes, so for the next 55 years (I plan to lilve to be 102 lol) I hope to give back some of what I took.

I cut way back on my caffeine just in the last few weeks. I went cold turkey and didn't have that bad of headaches but then I drinnk a cup of coffee a week later and it made me sick. Really wired with anxiety geez lol I didn't like that feeling at all, but was so impressed by the fact that we can get so used to caffeine that a pot of coffee doesn't even effect us.

Oh the reason I am cutting back on Caffeine is because it depletes are calcium and I want to save my bones. And it is not good for our breasts either.

I've always had problems with periods, and a friend of mine, who is a vegan too and had my same problems, went to a doctor's, a Japanese Naturopathist, and had marvellous results: she is now perfectly regular, has no pain, and it's not too light neither too abundant. The doctor (who is a vegan too) gave her a vegan diet, so it means a vegan diet must be perfect for this kind of things. He often talks about food combinations, saying that it's not just important what we eat, but how we eat it and what with. So maybe vegans are eating the right stuff, but in this case just with the wrong combinations.

I went to that doctor's before, having great results, and I have to go back now. I can ask him about this kind of problem, and then I can post what he tells me.

My periods are lighter too. My last one lasted 2 days. Before going vegan they would last about 3-4 days.. I didn't eat much meat or dairy then either. I've always kept to a low fat diet.

This month I worry that I might skip it since I've been stressed out, working out too much, and not eating enough.

We'll see in a week and a bit.

I've always had problems with periods, and a friend of mine, who is a vegan too and had my same problems, went to a doctor's, a Japanese Naturopathist, and had marvellous results: she is now perfectly regular, has no pain, and it's not too light neither too abundant. The doctor (who is a vegan too) gave her a vegan diet, so it means a vegan diet must be perfect for this kind of things. He often talks about food combinations, saying that it's not just important what we eat, but how we eat it and what with. So maybe vegans are eating the right stuff, but in this case just with the wrong combinations.

I went to that doctor's before, having great results, and I have to go back now. I can ask him about this kind of problem, and then I can post what he tells me.

Sounds like you have a great doctor, Cool Yeah let us know what he says. Oh and to answer your question, yep 46, but I have only been Vegan for a couple months and a vegetarian just 9 months. I think the main reason I look younger is because I have exercised all my life, never stopped, but eating healthy the last 5 years I am sure has helped too. But thank you I always love hearing I look younger My daughter is 21 and her friends freak out and think I had her when I was 12 or something lol

My periods are lighter too. My last one lasted 2 days. Before going vegan they would last about 3-4 days.. I didn't eat much meat or dairy then either. I've always kept to a low fat diet.

This month I worry that I might skip it since I've been stressed out, working out too much, and not eating enough.

We'll see in a week and a bit.

Marcina thats great. I hope you get your stress level down soon, exercise sure helps though doesn't it.

Beth you do look incredible. Being active, vegan, and healthy is doing wonders for you, and of course for everyone else too! On a side note I took a quiz at Wonderworks, What's your real age? It was pretty basic, do you eat a lot of red meat, drink alcoholic beverages daily, smoke marighuana, etc. I ended up answering no to almost all of the questions except for the ones asking about exercise, and low stress,and my real age was like 18 ha ha! I'm 26 right now.

A couple of years ago when I first became a vegan I did not have one for 4 months...and I was not pregnant because I was not sexually active at the time. It was weird. My Doctor said stop working out so much( I think she thought I had an eating disorder)...I lost around 15lbs when I became a vegan pretty fast like 2 months but I was no skinnier than high school ( my weight fluctuates from (120-135) It has since puberty. I had my blood levels checked and I was not anemic and I never have been. Something about quickly losing weight shocks your body into thinking it is starving. To protect more important processes... your fertility gets a little messed up. But nothing like that has ever happened since I went on bc pills its the same all the time.

Last summer I did some extreme dieting to lose weight cuz I get really self concious in a swimsuit. I ended up not having a period for 3 months.

I'm dieting a bit this summer too and trying not to go overboard.

I have heard that before too. You and Emmybear are really slim so I bet your bodyfat was too low to have a healthy period. I wish I could say that lol Well you know what I mean.

Beth you do look incredible. Being active, vegan, and healthy is doing wonders for you, and of course for everyone else too! On a side note I took a quiz at Wonderworks, What's your real age? It was pretty basic, do you eat a lot of red meat, drink alcoholic beverages daily, smoke marighuana, etc. I ended up answering no to almost all of the questions except for the ones asking about exercise, and low stress,and my real age was like 18 ha ha! I'm 26 right now.

Thats really great! I have done the Real Age tests too, they are fun No doubt you will continue to be really healthy and fit.

The amount didn't change, but the cramps reduced ALOT. As for your "surfing the crimson tide" at a different time, have you started hanging around different women, because I have read (and have found) that there's usually a leader in a group that somehow makes others' schedule change to follow theirs (no, I don't know how or why.....)