Am I meeting my nutrient requirements?

Please comment on my diet if you dare! Only joking.

This is my very first raw menu.

Today activity level medium - what ever you can imagine. It's 21.00 and I want to eat MORE or something cooked actually I fancy a ton of bananas. I'm a bit scared to eat so much sugar at once. I guess I need to get used raw food. Energy level medium to low.

Today's menu:

5oz fl carrot juice

3oz fl apple juice

garlic juice

640g watermelon

36g overnight soaked walnuts

32g raisins

1 banana

40g coconut meat

1 apple

40g coconut meat

3/4 cup oats

24g raisins

Shake:

1 banana

2 Tbsp flax seeds

2 Tbsp sesame seeds

1 Tbsp pollen

1 kale leaf

2 scoops of whey protein (I'd like to finish it= playing safe here:)

I soak the oats and the raisins in the shake.

604g watermelon

20g coconut meat

4.9 oz peas

1.6 oz sprouted chickpeas

Pure:

3 oz zucchini

2 oz tomato

1 oz fresh spinach

1 Tbsp flax seeds

1 Tbsp sesame seeds

few garlics

Blend all together, put into a bole and add 2 Tbsp olive oil with the peas and chickpeas to crunch on.

That's it for those who have survived it to the end: Congratulations!

Now the FACTS:

Average Calories

Total: 2444cal

Fat: 108g 40%

Sat: 44 g 18%

Poly: 3g 13%

Mono: 22g 9%

Carbs: 328g 43%

Fiber: 66g

Protein: 81g 13%

Ok. Not too bad. A bit low on protein at least what I was used to before.

Now the nutrient requirements are interesting:

Fat-Soluble Vitamins

Nutrient Units Intake RDA % RDA

Vitamin A mcg_RE 3715.7 ... 800 464.47

Vitamin D mcg 0 ... 5 0

Vitamin E mg_ATE 11.59 ... 8 144.9

Vitamin K mcg 1455.6 ...5 2239.3

Water-Soluble Vitamins

Vitamin C mg 362.15 ..60 603.58

Thiamin mg 2.51 ....1.1 228.56

Riboflavin mg 1.35 ....1.1 122.3

Vitamin B-6 mg 4.28 ...1.3 328.87

Vitamin B-12 mcg 0 ...2.4 0

Niacin mg 12.27 ...14 87.63

Folate mcg 785.25...400 196.31

Trace Minerals

Iron mg 24.21 15 161.42

Zinc mg 12.2 12 102.08

Selenium mcg 50.01 55 90.92

Copper mg 3.86 --- ---

Major Minerals

Calcium mg 770.61 1000 77.06

Phosphorus mg 1469.3 700 209.9

Magnesium mg 729.31 310 235.26

Sodium mg 246.13 --- ---

Potassium mg 5601.6 --- ---

So I could do better on calcium, selenium and B 12. I haven't decided yet if I want to be taking supplements for B 12. I might start eating ants

Thanks for any feedback.

I like the variety and all the juices, perhaps you could throw in a little more vegetables, maybe a salad midday? Couldn't hurt to have more green in your life.

I'm not criticizing about the whey but what do you mean by 'playing it safe'? As far as finishing the rest I can relate. I like to buy in bulk and when i did the why, I had almost 50lbs leftover of casein and whey. I wanted to finish it also and then my thought was, let me give it away (for some reason no one wanted it, prob b/c it didn't taste that good, they types i had; Micellar Casein and Alpha Lactobumin). But then I said to myself, why would I want to give someone else something I didn't see fit to use for myself.

It was the only thing holding me back from going 100% vegan and one day I just chucked the whole thing and became vegan right then and there. I had pea protein instead already purchased and got over the fact that I spent all that money on the bulk whey.

Either way, keep up the good work with your training and nutrition regimen

looks good and nice variety.

Too much coconut is causing the saturated fats, but it still makes less sat. fats than on an omni diet or vegetarian with milk-butter-eggs, etc...

You could replace some coconut with a green salad.

I don't think 80 gr of proteins is low... When we're on cooked foods perhaps we need 3 times more proteins than that because most of the amino acids have been altered by heat. On raw foods it's quality over quantity.

Thanks guys.

You know, Lean and Green, what I mean when I say I want to "play it safe" = I want to make sure I'm getting "some" proteins. I know I should get over it.

On the salads, I love salads, I just didn't have any that day. that's all. Normally having salads twice a day is no problem for me.

What ratios I should be aiming for? 80/10/10 ? Would having more fat in my diet be "bad"?

My main goal is performance orientated. I'm a tennis player (I bet nobody can guess that and so far it looks to me that only long distance and slow pace "players" are in this raw food game.

The only tennis player I know who is vegetarian is Martina Navratilova but she started eating salmon and tuna when she made her comeback to the sport.

Can anybody elaborate and find more sprinters, fast moving raw athletes?

Thank you in advance.

Also, some people may criticize you for using the whey, but thanks for using it up and not wasting.

I still have mine kickin around. I've tried to pawn it off to people but they don't want it either.

I gave it up cuz it gave me diarrhea and horrible cramps.

When we're on cooked foods perhaps we need 3 times more proteins than that because most of the amino acids have been altered by heat.

The protein is denatured just as it would be in the stomach. It is easier to digest, not destroyed.

When we're on cooked foods perhaps we need 3 times more proteins than that because most of the amino acids have been altered by heat.

The protein is denatured just as it would be in the stomach. It is easier to digest, not destroyed.

Not the samething at all. To heat does not mean to digest. The stomach don't use heat as a tool to break down big molecules of food into smaller ones, it uses gastric juices.

From your point of view, cooked foods would be healthier than raw foods because they're already digested. And that if we had an oven in our belly it would be as good as having a stomach.

To heat the food deprive the nutrients from their oxygen, living enzymes and vitamins. Those things would have been useful for the body or for the digestion of the food itself. Digestion processus does not kill/destruct those things, it uses them, transforms them, sends them to the cells.

Not the samething at all. To heat does not mean to digest. The stomach don't use heat as a tool to break down big molecules of food into smaller ones, it uses gastric juices.

They both serve the same function. Denaturation happens through cooking, and also through your stomach acid. Cooking it is just a shortcut. Either one serves to allow digestive enzymes access to peptide bonds so the protein can be broken down.

As far as food enzymes, they are denatured in the stomach just as any other protein would be.

Sorry I forgot you were talking about proteins...

For instance : soy protein isolate, processed at high temperatures. The only reason this would be quickly and easily absorbed by the body and sent to the mucles cells is because it only contains proteins, it's a product that have been removed from it's carbs and fats, therefore it takes less time to digest than whole, raw, soybeans.

But the difference between cooked and raw is that heat does not only kill enzymes and vitamins, it also alterates some of the molecules so that they become useless.

The body can use 100% of the proteins from sprouted quinoa grains.

But if it's cooked quinoa, some of the amino acids have had their molecular structure so altered that they became useless for the body, they're lost.

Samething with fat: some medical exams have shown that a high percentage of obese persons have abnormally low levels of lipase (the enzyme needed to digest fats) because cooking foods deprived the food from that enzyme. Unable to digest fats and to use it or reject it, it stores it into bodyfat.

But the difference between cooked and raw is that heat does not only kill enzymes and vitamins, it also alterates some of the molecules so that they

We are not discussing vitamins. I believe everyone here will admit some vitamins are lost during cooking. We are discussing protein.

Food enzymes are metabolized in the stomach just as any other protein would be.

But if it's cooked quinoa, some of the amino acids have had their molecular structure so altered that they became useless for the body, they're lost.

I do not agree.

Samething with fat: some medical exams have shown that a high percentage of obese persons have abnormally low levels of lipase (the enzyme needed to digest fats) because cooking foods deprived the food from that enzyme. Unable to digest fats and to use it or reject it, it stores it into bodyfat.

Can you please explain how it is stored as bodyfat if it is not assimilated?

Zack, I guess that you know this basic physic law:

Nothing is created, nothing is lost -- Everything changes

But the difference between cooked and raw is that heat does not only kill enzymes and vitamins, it also alterates some of the molecules so that they

We are not discussing vitamins. I believe everyone here will admit some vitamins are lost during cooking. We are discussing protein.

Yes we're also discussing vitamins because you're saying that gastric juices kills vitamins just like cooking does, but it's not true. So I'll have to talk about vitamins again.

Food enzymes are metabolized in the stomach just as any other protein would be.

Then why do we bother eating proteins?

Because the body is not able to synthetise 9 of the 21 amino acids so we need food.

Samething goes for enzymes, the body may be able to metabolize some enzymes, but not enough, it needs also the enzymes in food. People eat defiecient enzyme foods, so their digestion is poor, then they buy enzyme supplement in pills. Some tests have shown that those supplements helps a bit, but not as much as eating living foods.

Or, if you don't believe that enzyme-raw food thing, you should at least agree that the body cannot metabolise enzymes from nothing (remember the physic rule), it needs foods rich in certains vitamins, those vitamins are metabolized and then useful for many things: produce hormones, enzymes, blood cells, helps the metabolism of other vitamins, etc.

I do not agree.

hmm... I don't see the point of just saying "I do not agree", you have to say why.

Can you please explain how it is stored as bodyfat if it is not assimilated?

Yes, it simply stays in the body, because the body cannot do anything with it. Maybe some will pass through the body intact and go in the toilet, undigested. But most of those molecules will just wander in the body as oxydants, focusing on certain cells of organs, cells of proteins, cells of fat, etc... By assimilated, do you mean metabolized? It's two different things. Assimilated can just mean absorbed and stored. Metabolized mean changed to something. Those molecules of fat that haven't been digested/metabolized because of a lack of lipase, will just stay what it is, which is fat, instead of becoming glycogen, the final product of fuel for the body.

Vitamins and Enzymes:

Now, it's a fact that heat transforms living cells (including vitamins, enzymes) into dead cells... it kills life. Only the minerals are left intact. When you cook something, it's particles become volatile and float in the air, that is why cooking emit odours. So we both agree.

But you're saying that digesting makes the samething to living cells? Not true. Heat does kill life, but gastric juices don't kill vitamins and enzymes, otherwise from where do your body gets his vitamins??? Why do you bother making green smoothies full of vitamins if they're all gonna die in your stomach? The body changes life into other forms of life, with no death in between. Life engenders life. Life cannot be engendered by something dead.

Also, some people may criticize you for using the whey, but thanks for using it up and not wasting.

I still have mine kickin around. I've tried to pawn it off to people but they don't want it either.

I gave it up cuz it gave me diarrhea and horrible cramps.

Interesting that is what I was experiencing since eating all raw.

Whey protein didn't bother me at all before. Strange.

Thanks guys.

I want to make sure I'm getting "some" proteins. I know I should get over it.

If your worried about the protein, raw hemp protein is something I always get. manitoba harvest makes a great kind!

Yeah, I'm searching for it here in Spain. With no luck so far.

To have more info on the way I eat i would like to post one more day. Without any whey protein or other animal product.

I'm actually quite interested in detox programs. i have been recently looking up the liver flushes. Has anybody got any experience with detox?

Today's menu:

<<8>>

Wake - up

1 cup carrot, apple, garlic ,lemon juice

<<10>>

Morning work out...

8 oz pineapple

Shake: kale, banana, 1/2 cup sprouted lentils, 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, 1 Tbsp flax seeds, water

1 apple

<<15>>

Tennis practice

2 bananas

1 mango

Salad: spinach, lettuce, tomato, black&green olives, sprouted lentils, carrot, 2 Tbsp olive oil

<<18>>

Gym work out: Complexes

7 oz pineapple

1 oz coconut

Salad: lettuce, black& green olives, carrot, 1/2 cup sprouted lentils, 1 Tbsp olive oil

1 apple

THAT IS IT!!!

Facts:

Total: 1837 calories

Fat: 72g 35%

Sat: 14g 7%

Poly: 11g 5%

Mono: 41g 20%

Carbs: 308g 58%

Fiber: 42 g

Protein: 34 g 7%

Fat-Soluble Vitamins