Can you get fat eating RAW?

Can you get fat eating RAW?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want to use lean and green as an example here. NO HE IS NOT FAT.

But, he did gain a considerable amount of weight eating raw, so yes it's definitely possible.

Edited by Zack

Thanks for that use in capitalization. I agree completely it is very VERY easy to overeat with all the high calorie foods. I ballooned from 145-195 in 4 months on all raw. Long story but to make it short I caved in to family members who threatened me and pressured me into overeating.

What do I feel was the main culprit?? Nuts and Seeds and gourmet deserts...

Anyone who thinks that Raw Food has magical powers and you can consume 4000cals a day and have the same body as someone who consumes 2000cals a day with the same activity level has no concept of the basic principles of cal in vs cal out. I don't care where you get your intake from, if you eat 400 cals of lard a day and nothing more, YOU WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT. It isn't healthy but that's a whole other discussion.

I am currently trying to 'Lean' out. I think June will be a cutting month for me. I have gained alot of muscle from lifting once again and i'd like to make that more visible by having less bf.

If you follow a raw food diet properly.. as in eating natural FRESH produce,

you will not gain weight(which is what Tim was saying).

It's when "raw food" tries to replicate "cooked food" that you come

into problems... like high sugar, high fat contents.

Also you need to consider the fact that your body packs in

carbonic acid when you eat cooked foods.. causing weight gain,

as far as my body is concerned, calorie count makes no difference.

I do feel as though I can eat whatever I want

as long as it is fresh and raw, and I am very physically active,

I know I will not gain weight; even if I'm eating more calories

than I am burning.

I see no (positive)point to this post.

than I am burning.

Your body is very smart and it does not miss any calories you eat...if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight thats how it works...whether raw or cooked vegan omni..any diet.

Now.... you are probably burning more calories than you think if you aren't gaining weight...you either have a fast metabolism or your body is burning extra calories digesting the raw food...or you are eating less that you think. You can also burn calories by NEAT non exercise thermogenic activity... you are more active throughout the day ie.. standing rather than sitting tapping foot...ect....

than I am burning.

Clarification, my body packs in carbonic acid.

(it could also be the release of it... I'm not sure if it's called

carbonic acid when it enters the system..)

But, that is gas.. that is what is released from my system when

I eat all fresh foods, I found this out when I got my first

colonic.

I would highly recommend reading some of Matt Monarch's books,

as well as seeing him speak; he talks about this, as well as

how to successfully remain raw for a prolonged period of time.

Which almost none of the other "gurus" talk about.

http://www.rawspirit.org/

Also, look into Dr.Fred Bisci, he talks about this as well...

Amazing book Andesuma; i've read it several times. Might I add that is a very quick read yet you learn alot, so it's worth picking up. I'd also like to say that's it's the only book i've read in which you could learn about raw foodism and still read a cool story format type book. If you know any other books like that Andesuma, let me know. I get tired of hardcore knowledge study type books at times....

Amazing book Andesuma; i've read it several times. Might I add that is a very quick read yet you learn alot, so it's worth picking up. I'd also like to say that's it's the only book i've read in which you could learn about raw foodism and still read a cool story format type book. If you know any other books like that Andesuma, let me know. I get tired of hardcore knowledge study type books at times....

I agree! I love the metaphysical/"we don't know what we are talking

about but it's our truth!" -- approach. haha

It helps us all absorb one another.

And really just learn from experience.

Angela Stokes(www.rawreform.com) is coming out with lots of cool books..

I really love her Juice Feaster's Handbook.. I'd like to do one after

I complete my running training. Her newest e-book is called

"Raw Emotions" is right up my alley when it comes to raw food.

I have experienced so many profound miracles because of raw foods..

especially in the emotions department ;P

Oooh.. I don't know if you've read "The Body Ecology" or

"Vibrational Medicine" but those are also good reads...

And one of my Micro Biologist friends recommended I read

"The Emotional Molecule" ... so I need to find that one still.

(sorry, I'm bad with knowing all the books I've read as well as authors,

you can just goggle the titles to find them.)

& As far as Matt Monarch goes... I love him!! , he is probably

one of the only raw food 'gurus' talking very openly about

the importance of colon hydrotherapy, which most of them overlook.

It is such a crucial crucial thing.

I love his approach.

Also, his colon hydrotherapists are my colon hydrotherapists (www.chakra17.com)

so it's really interesting talking with everyone about their own

personal truths... because that is really the most important thing.

I have many many more book recommendations... but those are

probably a good start

You probably could get fat on Raw. If your goal is to be the worlds first super fat raw vegan just spend over 1,000 bucks a week( Or per day if you got the money ) and constantly eat raw food, don't work out at all and just lay around like a lump.

But I must warn you on the advice I gave you. It is extremely dangerous. Any drastic fluctuation in weight is dangerous. But still I'd say it is possible to get fat on a Raw Diet. Just crank up the calories and lower your movements.

If your goal is to be lean and fit I'd say just focus on getting as much raw in as you can ( Eating when your hungry ) and exercise. The weight will pack on as muscle. You may not reach 300-600 pounds but it would be more likely that you would weigh at least 200 or 215.

than I am burning.

Andesuma, your "peace symbol" is hearting my eyes. Sorry.

Check this out: min 4:08

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wy771Cccwvw

Thank you.

I love his approach.

Also, his colon hydrotherapists are my colon hydrotherapists (www.chakra17.com)

Cooool, I had no idea. My colonist was trained under Gil Jacobs over here as well in the gravity method. I haven't gotten one in a long time but if/when I do get another, she's the only one i'd go back to. It makes a huge difference where you go. The first time I went, I was put on top of this bathtub looking thin, the lady told me to put a plastic tube with a piece at the end attached in me. She turned a running water pressure on and said she'd be back in 30min to check up on me. It was like a NIGHTMARE. This is not how the experience should feel and not the right way to do it. Gravity hydrotherapy is def the best way to do it....

Thanks for those book suggestions, I am certainly going to check them out. I've never read any of them yet. As far as Angela's books, how could you go wrong with Matt's significant other

The first time I went, I was put on top of this bathtub looking thin, the lady told me to put a plastic tube with a piece at the end attached in me. She turned a running water pressure on and said she'd be back in 30min to check up on me. It was like a NIGHTMARE. This is not how the experience should feel and not the right way to do it. Gravity hydrotherapy is def the best way to do it....

Thanks for those book suggestions, I am certainly going to check them out. I've never read any of them yet. As far as Angela's books, how could you go wrong with Matt's significant other

This sounds SO familiar....

Though I got an infrared sauna session before hand..

But still, very "sterile".

The last thing our healing needs is more sterility...

I love Chakra 17 because... you lay on a bed. You are in this

bedroom/bathroom, and it's just... perfect symbiosis.

They do reiki on you, you really connect, you RELAX (which is

the crucial thing to any colonic.. that determines if you really

'let go' of anything...your ability to relax).

And yes, I do believe Matt is starting to take flight... because of

his lady. His strong, beautiful, lovely significant other

• 3 weeks later...

You can get fat on raw foods especially if your health is severly copmpremised in the right places or if your mental/emotional state is not healthy or positive!

Heck...you can get fat/big on anything if you abuse yourself long enough.

F1

What do I feel was the main culprit?? Nuts and Seeds and gourmet deserts...

Anyone who thinks that Raw Food has magical powers and you can consume 4000cals a day and have the same body as someone who consumes 2000cals a day with the same activity level has no concept of the basic principles of cal in vs cal out.

Certainly you are correct about basic physics: excess energy (kcal) will be stored. How much though depends on the macronutrient. FAT is 97%+ efficient, but when CHO & PRO are converted to FAT via DNL they are only about 70% efficient, according to robust metabolism science using the gold standard calorimetry.

A raw food diet very low in fats like avocados, olive oil, etc, would be quite a challenge to get fat on - studies show that even a 85% CHO, ZERO fat, 15% PRO diet (at maintenance) results in a net loss of FAT, above 1 g/hr. The fact is, dozens of well-controlled studies reveal exactly how metabolism works - the higher the ratio of CHO:F, the better the ratio of LBM:F gained. In other words, if you want to gain muscle with minimal fat gain, you choose high-carb, very low fat. If you wanted to gain a higher % of Fat you eat lots of fat, plus refined carbs to help push the fat into storage (so your body burns the CHO for energy, and just stores the fat). I've studied the overfeeding science in depth, and it matches up very well - the higher the % FAT, the lower the ratio of LBM:F gained (the worse body recomposition, in other words). The studies getting the best results in terms of the normal goal of increased protein stores and minimizing the increase in fat stores are very high CHO overfeeding diets. It is well-established why: CHO raises insulin, which then protects LBM via reducing Nitrogen excretion. It is the same reason why protein needs are so exaggerated - it depends on how much CHO you eat. I have studies using a diet of only 3% protein - and LBM was maintained while the subjects ate a 3000 kcal, very high CHO diet.

Certainly a fatty raw food diet will cause fat gain, if excess kcal are eaten. After all FAT contains 9 kcal/g, while CHO & PRO are around 4 kcal/g! But a very low-fat vegan diet, raw or not, is difficult to get fat on because the foods are so filling, and CHO conversion to FAT via De Novo Lipogenesis is a "quantitatively minor metabolic pathway" in people. If you load up on CHO today, your body will just burn more CHO for energy, and lower the amount of FAT burned for energy. When scientists take fat samples from people they can tell what kind of fats you've been eating - this is because fat from DNL is tiny to non-existant in average diets. You'd have to eat a hell of a lot of bananas and grapes to gain much fat from DNL - I don't think you could do it unless you used processed food (grape juice + banana juice all day long). In fact that combined with exercise would put on some significant muscle

• 1 month later...

hy!

I agree that maybe! you would be able to put on fat, but that is hard.

I think on normal raw diet you can eat whatever you want, if you eat many type of food and do exercises. But we are healthy people, and we train a lot, arent we?