Vita-Mix blenders

Amy

I know some of you have a Vita-Mix blender. For those of you that do, is it well worth the price? I am thinking about making the investment. If you do feel it is worth the cost, where do you recommend that I purchase it? I know they can be ordered online at www.vitamix.com but are there any other websites that would be cheaper? Also, have any of you had to send your Vita-Mix blender in for repair?

Thanks,

I know some of you have a Vita-Mix blender. For those of you that do, is it well worth the price? I am thinking about making the investment. If you do feel it is worth the cost, where do you recommend that I purchase it? I know they can be ordered online at www.vitamix.com but are there any other websites that would be cheaper? Also, have any of you had to send your Vita-Mix blender in for repair?

Thanks,

the 4500 is typically sold at other sites. Same engine as the 5000 just different gearing.

The other machines (5000 and 5200) are only sold at Vitamix itself. Other sites have links to it, and then they get a 50.00 tip for sending you there. You can only buy trhe 5000 and 5200 at the main site though. So the price , with the exception of the used demo ones, is the same.

If you are new to the game you should also consider the Bendtech 3 hp that troy has.

I have had my Vitamis for 16 years,. I havenet ever had a problem with the actual machine. I have had to change the bledes twice or about every 7 years. I have used mine as average of 5 times a day.

Both blenders have their advantages.

I second the Blendtec. I have one and it works great for me. The container is much smaller than the Vitamix, but the engine is more powerful and it is cheaper. I think you may be able to get an upgrade on the container size, not sure though.

Amy, get a refurbished one, google refurbished vitamixs, they're all pretty similar. I 'needed' to get the new one, at the time i was making alot of money and did not care, just wanted to treat myself.

It is well worth the investment. It puts regular blender to shame and can mince anything.

It does not break down, it has an automatic cutoff switch that stops it if you are overorking the motor so it won't burn out. Sometime I clog it with too many veggies and i dont cut them of use the stick to push them down and it shuts off automatically the prevent the motor from overworking.

I went on the recos of all the raw food prep books i read to buy one and I am glad I listened. It is irreplaceable imo

I don't know anything about the blendtec, so i cannot say which is better.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to decide on a blendtec or a vitamix at the moment as well.

Blendtec's are $200 cheaper than the vitamix here in Australia, but I've notice from recent post that both Troy and Cubby have had issues with theirs breaking down.

I know Jessifly etc have vitamixes that have been going strong for years, without glitches.

With the price they cost in a 240v version, I don't exactly want them to break down or need repair.

I have a few questions for those with Vita-mixes

1- How is it with huge loads? The last blender I had( A 20 buck Target Blender ) I had to physically shake it which I believe led to it's demise 2 weeks later.

2- What can it do besides blend?

3- Can it be bought in stores or only online?

i got mine at a kitchen supply store, but i think neimann markus (spelling) also sells them. you never need to shake it like low end blenders, it comes with an "accelerator" (basically a rod you stick into the blender to stir stuff as it blends) but i haven't needed to use it yet. asides from blending, you can turn frozen fruit into sorbet, whole fruit/veggies into smoothies, and nuts/seeds into butters. as for handling large loads, tonight i had mine filled 3/4 of the way (its a 64 oz container) with cooked lentils, eggplant, carrots, and onion and in about twenty seconds it became soup.

i got mine at a kitchen supply store, but i think neimann markus (spelling) also sells them. you never need to shake it like low end blenders, it comes with an "accelerator" (basically a rod you stick into the blender to stir stuff as it blends) but i haven't needed to use it yet. asides from blending, you can turn frozen fruit into sorbet, whole fruit/veggies into smoothies, and nuts/seeds into butters. as for handling large loads, tonight i had mine filled 3/4 of the way (its a 64 oz container) with cooked lentils, eggplant, carrots, and onion and in about twenty seconds it became soup.

Holy....crap....why have I not heard of this thing? Sounds amazing. And wow. That is expensive.

All I can say about the Vitamix is that they can pretty much withstand a lot of punishment, and use. During vegan vacation I think the vitamix we used was used at least 15 times a day if not more. It kept going, and going, and going. Anyway I think they are top of the line for blenders, and I definitely want one.

1- How is it with huge loads? The last blender I had( A 20 buck Target Blender ) I had to physically shake it which I believe led to it's demise 2 weeks later.

It does not break down, it has an automatic cutoff switch that stops it if you are overorking the motor so it won't burn out. Sometime I clog it with too many veggies and i dont cut them of use the stick to push them down and it shuts off automatically the prevent the motor from overworking.

• 2 weeks later...

Blendtec's are $200 cheaper than the vitamix here in Australia, but I've notice from recent post that both Troy and Cubby have had issues with theirs breaking down.

I just got my repaired Home Model BlendTec but have yet to try it out. I have been using a Q-Series Commerical BlendTec and its fantastic, however the original commercial model I got had the new program which could only attain a speed 7. After speaking with BlendTec's technicians over the phone, they have informed me that they have reprogrammed the recent models so that they only go to speed 7, eliminating speeds 8 and 9 on commercial models. I spoke with the retailer and he was unaware of this change, he agreed to switch out motor units for me free of charge... switching from the original 15 amp Q-Series model that would only go to speed 7, to an 18 amp Q series model that had speeds up to 9. I would not recommend a commercial BlendTec unless it went to Speed 9, its a must as Speed 7 is a joke. They said the higher speeds were burning up the motors too quickly. I'm not sure about the home models, as my home model went to speed 10 and the motor was not the problem on my unit...they told me the "processor chip" what runs the cycles, is what failed.

The reason I went with a commercial model is for the sound enclosure. The blender is ear piercingly loud without it and blending at 6:00 AM isn't very polite to others in the house or the surrounding 5 mile radius. Here are the two models I chose from...

Q-SERIES

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/troyloferski/blendtec.jpg http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/troyloferski/vitamix.jpg

BlendTec Q-Series----------Vitamix Blending Station Advance

I am happy. I just ordered a Vitamix Blender. I called the number online. I got the cheaper Vitamix ($449). I decided to go with the 3 monthly payment plan (they add $15 service fee for it). I gave them a code I found online (I just did a search for Vitamix free shipping code) and there was no shipping charge. After tax, my first payment was $249.40 and the next two payments are 124.70 each. I know it is a lot of money but just from looking at the website and reading more about it, I think I will be using it a lot. I get 30 days to try it out or send it back for a refund. Also there is a 7 year warranty on it. I will post again after it arrives to let you guys know if I think it is worth the money. It should be here in 7 - 10 business days (coming UPS).

• 2 weeks later...

I was out of town for a few days visiting my family but I am now back home. While I was gone my brand new Vita-mix blender had arrived. It is now set up on my kitchen counter. I am tired and will be going to bed soon. Tomorrow I am going to blend some veggies. My mother sent me home with 12 pounds of tomatoes and tons of zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and okra. I can't wait!!!!

I was out of town for a few days visiting my family but I am now back home. While I was gone my brand new Vita-mix blender had arrived. It is now set up on my kitchen counter. I am tired and will be going to bed soon. Tomorrow I am going to blend some veggies. My mother sent me home with 12 pounds of tomatoes and tons of zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and okra. I can't wait!!!!

I envy you , a nice new vitamix.

mine is 15 years old. It doesnt have the fine tuned speeds like the new ones. YOu have the 5200 right?

i have a food proccesor, a regular blender, and a magic bullet! my blender is terrible, i use the other two a lot. i want to get a vitamix and a juicer, do i need both? i hate having so many appliances! would the vitamix take the place of some of them?

i use my vitamix for all three. Though I could do a better job with a new 5200, but I have been using mine for all three for the last 15 years. Processing and blending are easy, the juicing is a little more involved as you admit ice as it blends to keep the froth down. I have never been a fan of dumping the pulp, so the vitamix makes sense to me. I have not ever been a fan of wasting anything , the way a juicer seems to do. So my view is biased.

you should also send a note to troy because he owns a blendtec and I think he can do the same things. I mention this in the spirit of full disclosure as I am a staunch vita-mix proponent in the Blendtec vs. Vitamix debate. although I can safely say that both are a cut above the others.

I have the blendtec total blender that I got for $289 US off ebay. It had 0 cycles on it. It is extremely powerful and pretty much can handle anything I throw at it. My girlfriend and I have gotten in the habit of making green smoothies with spinach and kale and it grinds them up into a smooth consistency where you can barely taste them if you add fruit. I haven't used the vitamix but have heard great things about it. I decided to go with the blendtec because it was much cheaper.

God damn. I cannot afford this. Looking at your prices, I was assuming it'd be like £200. But it's £400 for me in this country. That's $800. There is a blendtec blender going for £800. That's $1,600. What's going on!? I want to try a green smoothie, but I don't want to spend this much to experiment with something that I may dislike