Change it up

I've been following this routine for some time now. I feel like I should be changing things up a bit, but I'm finally feel like im starting to make some progress. How can I freshen this up a bit:

Day 1

Bench

Incline

Weighted Dips

Weighted Pushups

Day2

Squats

Deads

Day 3

Bent Barbell Rows

Seated Rows

Db Rows

Weighted Pullups (wide grip)

Day 4

Bench

Incline

Weighted Dips

Weighted Pushups

Day 5

Standing Press

Db Military

Various Shoulder work

Day 6 & Day 7 I would try to mix somethings up

Pistols

Calf Raises

Burpees

Pulldowns

Rx Squats

Vacuums

Pushups

Pullups

Ab Crap

Jump Rope

I was going to try something like this:

Day 1

Bench

Burpees

Db Row

Box Jumps

Day2

Deads

Weighted Dips

Renegade Rows

Weighted Pullups (wide grip)

Day 3

Clean and Press

Floor Wiper

1 Legged Row

Weighted Pushups

Day 4

Box Jumps

BB Bent Row

Standing Press

Pistols

Day 5

Turkish Getups

Pullovers

Pullups (narrow underhand grip)

Pushups

I don't know how to fit squats in there.

• 4 weeks later...
hey i'd love to get all into this but before i do, how long is 'awhile'? and how long as a whole have you been training for consistently??

i did that first routine for probably 3 months. Still weigh around 120lbs, and look like a cheerleader. I started doing that second routine for 2 weeks then went back to heavy weights.

day 1

bench

weighted pushups

weighted dips

day 2

squats

deads

day 3

bent bb row

standing press

pullups - wide grip

then i usually do a day or 2 of sprints/hiit cardio, and a day or two of crossfit type training. i've also been riding my bike a lot since the weathers been pretty decent. i eat all day long - feel bloated and terrible, and im still not putting on any muscle. i have that skinny and cut looks going on. booooo

Hi there

Interesting routine, what are you aiming for? Bulk? Definition? Aerobic Fitness?

To me you are mixing it up a little too much, I'm a simple guy, straightforward exercises, increase intensity just a little each workout and make progess.

Would suggest three on one off. Rest is important, not just for the body but to make sure you're fresh and want to make progress each workout.

Day one Legs, Day two chest, shoulders, triceps, day three Back, and biceps.

Squat on leg day and deadlift on back day. Doing them together is a big stress on your body.

All the best

Rob

hey i'd love to get all into this but before i do, how long is 'awhile'? and how long as a whole have you been training for consistently??

i did that first routine for probably 3 months. Still weigh around 120lbs, and look like a cheerleader. I started doing that second routine for 2 weeks then went back to heavy weights.

day 1

bench

weighted pushups

weighted dips

day 2

squats

deads

day 3

bent bb row

standing press

pullups - wide grip

then i usually do a day or 2 of sprints/hiit cardio, and a day or two of crossfit type training. i've also been riding my bike a lot since the weathers been pretty decent. i eat all day long - feel bloated and terrible, and im still not putting on any muscle. i have that skinny and cut looks going on. booooo

Try protein + maltodextrin shakes - overfeeding is easiest and most efficacious on liquid hi-kcal diets that are very low in fat. I know how hard it is to overfeed on whole food, I've tried (and I've had serious bloating/pain from eating too much whole food). Zero-fat liquids are processed faster, and do NOT totally satisfy hunger, which needs input from chewing (mouth) and fiber/bulk (stomach).

Check my previous posts for the scientific information and references detailing the metabolism of macronutrients. Simply put, it sounds like you are not eating enough total kcal, and possibly not eating enough carbs. Protein intake above 90g/d is not necessary - focus should be on loading up on carbs for the best body composition results (I have posted a lot of detailed info on this). I'm starting a blog and am working out the fine details of my plan, for public consumption. Remember that surplus kcal (especially hi-carb/low-fat) is the #1 causitive factor in net protein gain. Muscle work stimulates protein synthesis and breakdown, which actually results in negative protein balance unless/until food is in the stomach. Studies show muscle can be built with exercise on an energy deficit diet, but the CHO:FAT ratio must be very high to do this efficiently. Overfeeding studies show LBM gains of 2-5 lbs per WEEK without exercise on +50% energy surplus diets, with the best recomposition results coming from carb overfeeding diets (which deposits less fat and more protein).