My Training Journal - the one I'm going to stick with!!!!

I joined this forum months ago but told myself that I'd start my journal once I'm 100% vegan but that hasn't happened. Hovering around 90% now. From now on though I'll post what I eat cause I'd hate to post "ice cream" or "oh henry bar" here and think I'll make the switch quicker.

Step one: clean out my fridge and cupboards TONIGHT, leaving only vegan and healthy foods. Doing it now...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Courtney!

Step one was a success! Step two I'll do tomorrow...will be fun. Buying everything that is healthy and vegan and stocking up my empty (very empty) cupboards and fridge. I will not talk myself out of buying veggies (cause I will remember to eat them before they go bad). Making my shopping list now...yeah!

Bought the veggies, tomorrow I'll buy more protein powder. Did pilates today for the first time. Don't know if I did it right because I don't feel I worked anything. Just ate a humongous bag of chocolate covered almonds. Despite that I'm more motivated than ever to do well here. I love the muscle competitions. I spoke to veggieprincess over the phone about the training and diet plan she made for me.

Is it worth posting before pics now? or should I wait til I have cool afters?

My stats: Weight today 134lbs, height 5'5

On May 20-08

Upper arms - 11.75"

Chest - 35"

Abs - 29.5"

Hips - 37"

Thighs - 23"

Calves - 13.75"

So I'm starting tomorrow and in a month will post my measurements again!!!

I don't have a workout partner anymore, HATE going to the gym alone, so not comfortable there. I really really don't want to go. I think going to the gym will be the hardest thing. I LOVE cardio and can manage my diet ok. It's the weight training, I can't get out of my contract and switch gyms.

Bought the veggies, tomorrow I'll buy more protein powder. Did pilates today for the first time. Don't know if I did it right because I don't feel I worked anything. Just ate a humongous bag of chocolate covered almonds. Despite that I'm more motivated than ever to do well here. I love the muscle competitions. I spoke to veggieprincess over the phone about the training and diet plan she made for me.

Is it worth posting before pics now? or should I wait til I have cool afters?

My stats: Weight today 134lbs, height 5'5

On May 20-08

Upper arms - 11.75"

Chest - 35"

Abs - 29.5"

Hips - 37"

Thighs - 23"

Calves - 13.75"

So I'm starting tomorrow and in a month will post my measurements again!!!

I don't have a workout partner anymore, HATE going to the gym alone, so not comfortable there. I really really don't want to go. I think going to the gym will be the hardest thing. I LOVE cardio and can manage my diet ok. It's the weight training, I can't get out of my contract and switch gyms.

Post pics from before. Always post pics, it is a great motivator. Plus I'm bored.

Yay Andrea!!!!!

I can just picture you reluctantly sucking down the Xtend for me as you do your workouts. LOL... it'll all be good, trust me.

Pazios... you always want to see pictures of all the girls. She's cute is all you need to know (neener, neener, neener Pazios... I've seen pictures of her and you haven't) LOL Just Playin!!!

Yay Andrea!!!!!

I can just picture you reluctantly sucking down the Xtend for me as you do your workouts. LOL... it'll all be good, trust me.

Pazios... you always want to see pictures of all the girls. She's cute is all you need to know (neener, neener, neener Pazios... I've seen pictures of her and you haven't) LOL Just Playin!!!

ah checkmate my dear princess, you have thwarted me.

I'll post pics just for you pazios2002! just body parts though for now....

I have yet to exercise again but because I've been pigging out I feel my skin on my thighs tingling, I swear I can feel myself fattening. Maybe it's the start of stretch marks??...hmm I don't know, not a nice feeling either way. Does this happen to anyone else? In any case that's all the motivation I need to stick to my diet plan. I was 98% vegan yesterday! Made tabbouleh!!! and an incredible guacamole for a going away party we had at the house! Good vegan food makes me totally forget about nonvegan food. My mentality is switching finally and the thought of eggs and dairy grosses me out and disturbs me...(but chocolate covered almonds don't yet...urgh) : (

Great start! Don't look back. You can start again with every bite.

I had no desire for dairy after a few days of the mantra "exceptable levels of blood and puss in dairy do to chronic mastitis in factory farms" (the govt. limits blood and puss levels!) I lost 40 lbs in two months as my bodies inflammation from dairy subsided.

Did you know animals can smell meat eaters? (an important skill in the wild)

This forum can be a great help.

Hi John V! I read your post while sitting at the table eating my broccoli tofu stirfry...I'm SOOOO glad I'm not eating dairy now. That image I will conjure up when those oh so delicious (but pussy bloody)chocolate covered almonds seduce me.

I'm out in the wild some! Will they befriend or will they see me as vulnerable prey (cause I can't eat them)? : )

Thanks for your support!!! John V, Pazios and vp!

Cocoa isn't bad food and might be your essential craving. I get my chocolate fix by adding heaping spoons of unsweetened powdered cocoa to smoothies. I like to add raw almond butter, too. I don't need sweetener beyond banana and maybe rice milk or juice, but if you've got a sweet tooth there are a lot of options that way.

Great idea thank you John V. Will try it tomorrow. Love cocoa! I'll make a cocoa banana smoothie. I make a wicked vegan chocolate cake, the icing is killer, so delish....so I have lots of cocoa.

Workout: Ping Pong, biking a bit, some free weights at a friends house

Diet: 95% VEGAN!! Still have bad vegetarian habits, and do things automatically like eat all 12 chocolate cookies at my friend's place. But the rest of my day was clean. Tomorrow will be better...

SUCCESS!!

Diet: 100% VEGAN Lots of temptation but resisting was easier today. Yummy spinach onion salad, with lemon and oil. Lentils and veggies with mom's incredible sauce. homemade hummous with veggies and other good stuff. SO that means June 8th 2008 I became vegan again but forever this time cause I'm going to stick with this. (VP I will get into my diet, I just gotta ease into things)

Workout: squash, rock climbing getting active again feels good, I think this will get me pumped for weight training soon!

Meeting all you other vegans really has made a HUGE difference. Especially with my confidence in telling people about it. It feels right and normal, I don't feel so weird or extreme or strange this time around. Mom is sooo proud of her daughter and prepares vegan feasts when I visit----so AWESOME.

You really can be DONE with meat, eggs and dairy. Enjoy! Nurture it as a precious gift. I'd try to not dissipate the energy by sharing it with too many nonvegan people immediately. Recent converts can be enthusiastic but vulnerable evangelists. May you surpass all your fitness goals, too!

I'd like to join the cheering squad! You're doing a great job. Before you know it, 95%/100% will not even be a thought and you'll look back and laugh. You have vegan blood in you, go for it!

Thanks Lean and Green, at this stage I need all the cheers I can get to get over the hump.

Today was awesome! Finally went to the gym after a too long of a break! Don't want to lose too much more of my gains when I worked out a lot a couple months ago.

Seated Leg Curls 40lb x 12, 45lb x 12, 45lb x 12

Walking Lunges 12lbs in each hand, 3 sets of 16 steps (really focused on pulling myself up with the forward leg, could have done more steps)

Step Forward Lunges 12lbs each hand, 3 sets times 24

Front Raises 10lbs x 12 x 2, 12lbs x 4, 10lbs x 8 (next time try more 12lbs)

Bent Arm Raises DB 10lbs x 12 x 3 (difficult near the end)

Seated Rear Delts 5lbs x 12 x 2, 8lbs x 6, 5lbs x 6 (do more 8lbs)

Military Presses 10lbs x 12, 8lbs x 12, 10lbs x 12 (start at 10lbs next time)

Crunches on ball, not sure if I got my form right, 44, 17, 16

So excited! then 35minutes on elliptical easy.

Sipping a huge cocoa strawberry banana smoothie with a protein mix of hemp, soy, rice and pea with almond milk. A nice reward! The secret for me I think is not to let myself sleep in! I get soooo lazy when I sleep in past 10am. From now on bed by midnight and up at 8am.

Other goals: Build more hamstrings, and calves cause I have none

you deserve it, you're doing a wonderful job!

muscle memory Andreafrancis if you lost any muscle from not training, it comes back right away, i'm speaking from experience. I gained size and muscle so ridiculously quick once i resumed training in january after almost 2 years off. I couldn't believe it myself. Don't stress it and besides, if you're looking to maintain for a bit, you don't need to do as much to just maintain so you'll be ok and when you can devote time to change again, you shall be ready.

yea isn't it so much better when you wake up earlier and get the day started? I have been doing just that lately and I wasn't the last couple of months. It feels a lot better.

loving hearing about the lunges, such a great exercise.

do it up girl, sorry for the overload of emoticons but i couldn't choose just one!

you deserve it, you're doing a wonderful job!

muscle memory Andreafrancis if you lost any muscle from not training, it comes back right away, i'm speaking from experience. I gained size and muscle so ridiculously quick once i resumed training in january after almost 2 years off. I couldn't believe it myself. Don't stress it and besides, if you're looking to maintain for a bit, you don't need to do as much to just maintain so you'll be ok and when you can devote time to change again, you shall be ready.

yea isn't it so much better when you wake up earlier and get the day started? I have been doing just that lately and I wasn't the last couple of months. It feels a lot better.

loving hearing about the lunges, such a great exercise.

do it up girl, sorry for the overload of emoticons but i couldn't choose just one!

I love it!! Thanks for all those! Love your new pic. I'll post before pics and in a month another set, hopefully muscles do come back quickly, I miss my quads. Thanks so much L & G!

Anyone have vegan backpacking meal suggestions? Ill search the forum when I have a bit more time.

My journal:

Wednesday: still have old habits to break. Every Wednesday I get treats (cookies) from some of my students, don't know if I should say anything but I just asked the kids to help me eat them. But school year is ending soon. I ate pretty good today, except for the cookies. Eating more veggies. no exercise, except some biking around town.

Thursday: CRAZY DAY! Had a french couchsurfer with me. We toured Toronto by bike for 4 hours (good cardio), then I taught, afterwards we kayaked for 3hours until 12:30 at night, soo beautiful! part of our return was against crazy strong wind (my arms feel stronger though), the city lights are so impressive from the water. Then I took him into the sewers under the city which really worked our hip muscles since we had to walk like penguins to avoid the sludge. Slept for two hours (not good) and started Friday.

Friday: ate fairly well, a couple tofu stirfrys, lots of berries, mango avocado salad my friend made. very busy, photocopied maps for map party, then was a sleepy mess at it, no exercise, my arms I thought would hurt more but they don't, I thought I really killed them kayaking. I feel my legs though! especially my hips!

Sat: will make a cocoa shake now.

I need to start getting fit and healthy for a 5 day 100km backpacking trip in two weeks!!! Make sure you do lots of weighted lunges!!!!

Also plan vegan meals!!!!

take your cliff builder bars with you on the backpacking excursion. you can even cut up veggie and cucumber sticks, peanut butter. You can bring your protein in baggies and make a protein pudding. You can use nuts as your healthy fats.

In other words, the plan is condusive to any kind of road trip, backpacking trip, etc

On vacations, plan ONE MEAL that you let yourself have what you want with friends and family and the rest of the 4 meals, stay 100% on track.

Shoot me an email about your week.

So I slipped a bit and ate two muffins today (and a donut) but had a great kale cocoa banana strawberry smoothie. Some beans and peas. Early Saturday a good game of squash. I thought about exercising today but took the day off since I feel a bit sore all over from surveying this past weekend, though it wasn't too hardcore I used it as an excuse. I stayed with new friends, they didn't know I was vegan and I suddenly became strange to them, the girl they thought they new was an extremist, they humored me a bit, urgh! My ezcema is NOT due to being a veggie!!!! I gotta find out what food causes it fast! They're more than twice my age, it'll take time but I know they'll get used to it. But i had limited food, breakfast was white bread and jam. Dinner potato and carrot, (I brought my own tofu) dessert two apple pie slices and raspberry sauce. Lots of tea and honey. Got hooked on sugar again...

Today I ate well, a couple smoothies, bean, peas and veggies, an energy bar, espresso drink, some nuts too and a mango. I never have coffee and I was wired!!!! So bouncy, I meant to exercise but was busy running around getting car parts for my bro to fix my car. I'm getting excited about getting fit, going on a long walk tomorrow with weighted pack!!!