Saggy Shoulder - Poor Symmetry

I injured my right shoulder years ago, and never had it treated. It hurts constantly, and often gives me trouble. I deal with the pain - thats not the problem. I think it's resulting in crappy symmetry - The whole right side of my body looks like its lower than the left.

Also, my dominate right arm always feels weaker when lifting. I notice it when doing almost every exercise, but significantly when doing pushing, and overhead exercises. I've tried to remedy this by doing everything really slow, and focus on using both sides equally. It doesn't seem to be working though. I always experience more soreness in my left side than right.

Sounds like you have a rotator cuff injury.

I have weak rotators as well, and overhead exercises used to KILL me! I was so weak I could barely do them. Over the course of about a year, I've slowly been able to strengthen it.

There are some exercises you can do with resistant bands to help strengthen your rotators. It's hard to describe them properly online but I'm sure you can look it up, or ask someone at your gym or a physiotherapist to show them to you.

Basically, you tie a resistant band around a pole and keep your arm at a 40 degree angle and move the band to the side, using only your rotator muscles. Keep the wrists straight, core engaged, back straight. I need a spotter, because I tend to lose my form very quickly due to the weakness in my rotator.

I also recommend doing a majority of your workouts with your arms close to your body. It's hard to workout the actual deltoid muscles without doing overhead or lateral raise type exercises, but right now, strengthening the weakened muscles is really important to do first.

When I am doing my rotators I focus on the left ones -- since those are the weakest. They are going to need more work in order to balance everything out. For you, it sounds like it would be the right.

On the symmetry end, you could stop using the bar to lift, and use dumbbells instead, so that way both arms are getting the same weight. The weaker arm of course will get tired faster.

I broke my collarbone a few years ago and it never healed properly, I have this huge lump where a straight bone should be, so for some reason my left peck is larger than my right, by a lot. I stopped using the bars and started using dumbbells, and although its taking time, I can tell its helping my symmetry. On the push end, cant help you there. I do push ups all the time, and dont worry about the symmetry, their still one of the best workouts I think ever!

Ive delt with rotator cuff injuries for a long time, and the only rehab that seems to work, are kettlebell turkish get ups. I used to do the rubberband exercises, and always found i reinjured myself, no matter how long I did the rubberband exercises.

But I found if I continued to do TGU's, my shoulders rehabed amazingly well as long as I stuck to the exercises rehab I found in a book. They are hard work, and sometimes I wouldnt do them and find myself hurting again ~shrugs~

Sounds like you have a rotator cuff injury.

I have weak rotators as well, and overhead exercises used to KILL me! I was so weak I could barely do them. Over the course of about a year, I've slowly been able to strengthen it.

There are some exercises you can do with resistant bands to help strengthen your rotators. It's hard to describe them properly online but I'm sure you can look it up, or ask someone at your gym or a physiotherapist to show them to you.

Basically, you tie a resistant band around a pole and keep your arm at a 40 degree angle and move the band to the side, using only your rotator muscles. Keep the wrists straight, core engaged, back straight. I need a spotter, because I tend to lose my form very quickly due to the weakness in my rotator.

I also recommend doing a majority of your workouts with your arms close to your body. It's hard to workout the actual deltoid muscles without doing overhead or lateral raise type exercises, but right now, strengthening the weakened muscles is really important to do first.

When I am doing my rotators I focus on the left ones -- since those are the weakest. They are going to need more work in order to balance everything out. For you, it sounds like it would be the right.

I've been going to a chiropractor for about a month now. Right off the bat he asked me if I dislocated my shoulder at some point.

I never remember dislocating it. I thought I injured it doing laterals or military db's.

On the symmetry end, you could stop using the bar to lift, and use dumbbells instead, so that way both arms are getting the same weight. The weaker arm of course will get tired faster.

I broke my collarbone a few years ago and it never healed properly, I have this huge lump where a straight bone should be, so for some reason my left peck is larger than my right, by a lot. I stopped using the bars and started using dumbbells, and although its taking time, I can tell its helping my symmetry. On the push end, cant help you there. I do push ups all the time, and dont worry about the symmetry, their still one of the best workouts I think ever!

Ive been wanting to incorporate more dumbbell work - i just can't afford them. I want those powerblocks - but i cant justify spending $400 on them.

Turkish get ups are on my list of exercises I want to work into my routine.

I injured my right shoulder years ago, and never had it treated. It hurts constantly, and often gives me trouble. I deal with the pain - thats not the problem. I think it's resulting in crappy symmetry - The whole right side of my body looks like its lower than the left.

Also, my dominate right arm always feels weaker when lifting. I notice it when doing almost every exercise, but significantly when doing pushing, and overhead exercises. I've tried to remedy this by doing everything really slow, and focus on using both sides equally. It doesn't seem to be working though. I always experience more soreness in my left side than right.

Sorry to hear about this !

Sounds like you need to get it treated. I have a right shoulder injury as well. Some things shifted, which lead my right side out of lineament.

I would recommend Physio, Acupuncture or Reflexology

• 4 weeks later...

Please take care of this. I have a similar issue and am finding out what exactly it is tomorrow from a sports medicine office and am doing everything in my power to heal it as quickly as possible. Don't let this injury lag any longer my friend.

Veganessentials recommended this therapy and it's what i'm going to get done.

Active Release Technique