Need help finding alternative exercises for the listed ones

Hello so i started a training program from this book and while i can see results i dont feel sore and feel as though i can work out with much more intensity. I am going to stick with it for a couple of more weeks to see how i feel. However there are two exercises that i find ridiculous because their is little to no resistance.

Here is the work out for the legs day:

B:

hack squat

leg curl with ankle weights

leg extension with ankle weights

seated heel raise with barbell

ankle felxion with weight plate

stationary lunge with dumbells

standing kickback with ankle weights

The ones i am trying to swap out for new excercises are the leg curl and leg extension with ankle weights. i feel i have much stronger legs than this excercise allows.

Background: the gym i go to only has free weights except for one machine which is a leg extension machine. I do not want to use this machine only because there is not a way to do a leg curl exercise with the same apparatus and i don't want to cause an imbalance.

Perhaps i can do another exercise for the leg curl and do the leg extention machine or perhaps i can just swap out both for better leg exercises with free weights.

Back squat heavy weights man! For the leg curl. WHen I had a gym I usually maxed out the machine leg curls, their nothing. But on squats I am so week. Back squats are the king of all exercises.

For the leg extensions, which help the quads, I do wall sits, tabata front squats, and lunges with very heavy sand bags.

Sand bags are probably one my favorite things to train with, as it forces your body to lift something new instead of bars.

Back squat heavy weights man! For the leg curl. WHen I had a gym I usually maxed out the machine leg curls, their nothing. But on squats I am so week. Back squats are the king of all exercises.

For the leg extensions, which help the quads, I do wall sits, tabata front squats, and lunges with very heavy sand bags.

Sand bags are probably one my favorite things to train with, as it forces your body to lift something new instead of bars.

Sweet ill look into this.

Also i remember you asking where i work out at. They on occasion offer memberships for trade you should check them out

frontslc.com they have a full cross training gym. i would be cool to have a work out buddy who can help me stay on point and push myself.

I totally agree about the squats! I'd add them as an overall leg exercise (an overall full-body exercise for that matter ).

Personally, I'd sub Romanian deadlifts for the leg curls and front squats for the leg extensions.

the program i am on has three routines that get cycled through every three weeks they are:

B:

lateral lunge with barbell

hack squat

leg curl with ankle weights(not sure how i am going to do this)

leg extension with anke weights(same as above)

heel raise with dumbells

ankle flexion with weight plate

B:

Hack squat

front squat

ankle flexion with weight plate

duck squat with dumbell

bench lateral stepup wth dumbells

B:

hack squat

So i do a normal squat but since im not to strong i find it easier at this level to use the squat rack and put the weight in front. so i am assuming that is a front squat?

So i do a normal squat but since im not to strong i find it easier at this level to use the squat rack and put the weight in front. so i am assuming that is a front squat?

Yes. Here is something that KILLS me, and kills my quads, I almost cant complete anything else after this.

Front squat 65lbs with correct form, deep, but as fast as possible 8 times. Rest for 10 SECONDS ONLY. Then do another 8. Do this until you have done 8 sets of 8, with ONLY 10 seconds rest between each.

Its absolutely brutal, and my legs are still sore from 2 days ago.

Dan John, who is a weight lifting and a professional track coach here in Utah is the one who preaches this. Here is his thoughts on it:

"3) Fat Loss in Four Minutes, Revisited

My most misunderstood article of all time is my "Tabata front squat" workout. It involved time. It involved hard work. After 4000 emails that stated, "Dan, if this is so good, why not do it every day?" I began headbutting my computer screen. I did it until I saw pixels flying around my head.

The answer, of course, is this: Did you ever front squat for four minutes with 95 pounds with twenty seconds "on" and ten seconds of "rest?" No? Right, because then you'd know why you don't do this everyday! You might be able to do it if the fate of the world was in your hands, but short of that, once every two weeks is plenty.

Yet I decided to simplify it a bit. Now I recommend this:

Front squat for 8 reps (quality, deep reps only please)

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Rest exactly ten seconds

Front squat for 8 reps

Now, keel over.

The floor will feel cool. The ground is your friend. Love the ground. Recover long enough to send me an email saying, "I think I should do this everyday."

Goals? How about 135 on the bar and deep reps? I'd like to see the video evidence of doing 225 with this variation. I've seen 65 pounds nearly kill a man."

For my trade i work one hour per week. It depends on what they have available really. They seem really interested in helping people out so just call and say you have been wanting to work out there for a long time but cant afford the membership, is there any way that you can work for trade. see what they say.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I'm at work and didn't have time to read the entire post.

But for hams, you can do stiff leg deadlifts, and of course lunges. For quads you could try weighted sissy squats.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I am already modifying my workouts to fit my needs. And thankfully after the last workout it was teh first time i actually felt sore when i was through so i think im doing something right.

Instead of the one set im doing two sets one at 75-85 percent of my max with six reps and one at max weight for six reps.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello so i started a training program from this book and while i can see results i dont feel sore and feel as though i can work out with much more intensity. I am going to stick with it for a couple of more weeks to see how i feel. However there are two exercises that i find ridiculous because their is little to no resistance.

Here is the work out for the legs day:

B:

hack squat

The ones i am trying to swap out for new excercises are the leg curl and leg extension with ankle weights. i feel i have much stronger legs than this excercise allows.

Background: the gym i go to only has free weights except for one machine which is a leg extension machine. I do not want to use this machine only because there is not a way to do a leg curl exercise with the same apparatus and i don't want to cause an imbalance.

Perhaps i can do another exercise for the leg curl and do the leg extention machine or perhaps i can just swap out both for better leg exercises with free weights.

hey man i tried to send you an email through the site but it wont let me:

Hey man talked to the manager of the gym and is willing to trade you for one hour of work a week for a gym membership. he said email him about it at: [email protected]

Let him know you are the friend that Phil was talking about.

Im super excited man. We can start working out together!

phil

For quads you could try weighted sissy squats.

Those are a killer!

What about leg curls holding a dumbell between your feet? They're a bit hard to do on your own but if someone can place it between your feet for you it will work quite well