Getting a tight, lean waist?

I have struggled to lose my excess body fat around my stomach, despite exercising and eating healthily. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to achieve this.

Do you think it could be my diet that is holding me back here? Any foods I should emphasise in my diet or curtail?

if you have plateaued in your exercise regime, switch it up.

Try the interval training, like mentioned above. That is a real kicker.

I was always told that abs start in the kitchen. I stay away from refined carbs (white rice, white bread, white pasta etc.), refined sugar, processed foods are kept to a minimum as well. I eat a lot of fresh produce and usually eat it raw. You can get more energy with less calories that way.

Posture is also a big thing, believe it or not. Always keep your back straight and your core tight. I suck in my gut a lot. It will make you look taller and leaner and also prevent back pain and other injury.

I would also like a leaner waist. I've just read all the posts about what you can do to achieve this, and I pretty much do them all, but I'm not any smaller in the waist. The only thing that I could possibly do is eat more salads, and smoothies/protein shakes. One other suggestion I'veheard is to limit salt intake.

Diet Journal, You need to be writing down everything that you eat. When you have that down and it's accurate, the changes should be very apparent.

Diet Journal, You need to be writing down everything that you eat. When you have that down and it's accurate, the changes should be very apparent.

I will start one today and post it in a week's time. I try to avoid refine carbs, maybe I should limit carbs in general, such as bread?

I will start one today and post it in a week's time. I try to avoid refine carbs, maybe I should limit carbs in general, such as bread?

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I'll defer to the experts, but I would reccomend not changing your eating habits at all to begin with. Just keep good record keeping. You'll catch yourself not wanting to eat or drink certain things when you are accountable. After it's in black and white you can see places where you could probably make small changes that will make a big difference.

I've been lazy for years, but the greatest cuts I've been able to make in my weight has always been when I was keeping , or posting a journal.

I have a question sorry if it has been asked before, can eating too little calories and exercising too much/not resting or sleeping enough make you actually gain fat and slow the metabolism or is that just things that people say around??

I second that question. I seem to only lose weight if I eat under 1200 cal and exercise a lot. It's horrible and I'm hungry.

If you put your body into "famine" mode, your metabolism will slow down. You'll be tired, irritable, and have a hard time losing weight.

Sleep is involved with the metabolism as well. That's why people with hypothyroidism tend to sleep a lot. Make sure you're getting at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night.

Stress is also a factor. People who are highly stressed out pack on the pounds. I gained 2 pounds this week from being an emotional wreck! RELAX!!!

Marcina so what is a good way to kick start metabolism again and accelerated it, i mean i suppose it would be eating more but then wouldn't one gain more fat from eating more than the BMR and slow metabolism??

Here's a program (diet and training) to boost metabolism and therefore burn calories faster:

6 weeks program

1 - reduce carb intake for 4 days (short protein-fast)

- zero carbs for last meal each evening of the week

2 - add more cardio sessions (30-60 minutes) at least 3/week

- increase protein intake, decrease carb intake

3 - reduce carb intake for 4 days (short protein-fast)

- zero carbs for last meal each evening of the week

4 - at least 2 cardio sessions 30-60 minutes

- add a cardio session on empty stomach one morning or after a weightlifting session.

5 - cheat : 1 day/week, eat more than what your body got used to

- add 50% more series at training

6 - take a break for 3 full days then repeat program if necessary

Eat what you want (within reason obviously)

Just do more & more cardio.

That way you are happy cos you are not worrying about your diet, & you get fitter.

Mix up the exercises, do swimming, running, trampolining, anything that you enjoy!

Exercise oxidizes small amounts of FAT, but one can easily overcome that by eating FAT. Each gram of FAT that passes your lips, it will be stored with 97%+ efficiency. CHO and PRO are not converted to FAT in significant amounts, especially if you are not overfeeding. Thus, increase your energy expenditure and reduce FAT intake. Focus on foods rated high on the "Satiety Index" potatoes with no added fat, for example, got the highest score. Many studies on starches (pasta overfeeding, for example) show that starches are simply not converted to FAT in significant amounts, especially when combined with exercise - in fact one study showed concomitant fat loss. I have binders full of metabolism and overfeeding studies, and what you learn just elucidates exactly why the most successful fat loss diets are McDougall, Pritikin, etc - diet high in starches, very low in fat, moderate in PRO - are ideal for staying trim.

Protein-Sparing Modified Fasts, or just fasting in general, is an option too, because then the overall kcal deficit causes fat loss, and the protein maintains LBM.

But overall if you don't limit fats greatly you are fighting an uphill battle because the fat burned off during an hour of exercise can be packed back on in a just a few minutes of eating. Thus, willpower becomes vital, as always