Tofu vs Tempeh

Tempeh has more carbs, yes, but more fiber also. It is the only way I commonly eat soy anymore. Soy is pretty hard to digest for me and tempeh does a good job of preventing the gas that normally comes with it.

They are both comparable in how healthy they are I think, tempeh having a bit of an edge. I say just continue eating whichever one you enjoy. For me, that is tempeh. I am addicted to the flavor (I am a fungus fanatic).

I personally don't like the taste and texture of tempeh, but love tofu to bits. However I've read health books that says tofu and soy drinks are actually not good for you, and soy products are only good if they are fermented - like tempeh or miso paste.

You might like to look at Dr Mercola talking about soy:

Yeah, I love making a sandwich with romaine lettuce leaves as the bread with tempeh and mustard with some veggies inside.

I wouldn't listen to Mercola, StrawberryJam. He recommends diets based on genetic types in a really quacktastic way. He works with the Weston Price Foundation, a group of people who mainly try to demonize soy because it is seen as a primary vegan food, a great threat to the animal agriculture industries, which they are trying to promote. Here is a little article on his diet.

Fuhrman on Mercola

I really prefer tofu to tempeh. I've only had tempeh ocne and I really wasn't that fond of the flavor. Maybe I just didn't cook it properly, but it had a sour taste.

Tofu is so versatile and I love it! I put it in soups, salads, stir fries, and other things too! It's totally yummy!

I've only had tempeh ocne and I really wasn't that fond of the flavor. Maybe I just didn't cook it properly, but it had a sour taste.

The flavor (and texture) of tempeh is incredibly different if marinated before cooking in my opinion. If it is sliced thin and marinated for several hours or overnight (in something like a soy sauce mixture or Braggs, etc) then pan-fried in a little oil the sour taste is replaced by a delicious nutty flavor.

The flavor (and texture) of tempeh is incredibly different if marinated before cooking in my opinion. If it is sliced thin and marinated for several hours or overnight (in something like a soy sauce mixture or Braggs, etc) then pan-fried in a little oil the sour taste is replaced by a delicious nutty flavor.

Word, I also do this, except I never use Braggs. I make my own General Tsao sauce and soak it in that. I love the nutty flavor of tempeh after some light frying in coconut oil.

I'd also like to add that any and all talk of soy being dangerous just HAS to be total wacko nonsense, as I have been eating the stuff all through my adolescence....and I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!!! So yeah...no boobs, my package is doin' just fine, my libido is annoyingly through the roof, and I don't enjoy "The Notebook".

I've only had tempeh ocne and I really wasn't that fond of the flavor. Maybe I just didn't cook it properly, but it had a sour taste.

Thanks for this tip! I'll try it this week and see if it helps! I keep trying to eat it but I'm not enjoying it very much... I try to hide it under my veggies and pretend I don't taste the sourness. Bleh.

Also note here's often two types of tempeh available: pure soy and soy+grain. The pure soy one has a higher protein:carb ratio but I like the taste of the grain one more.

actually three, straight soy, three grain and garden vegetable. I only like garden vegetable.

I was eating tempeh last night, and I decided I don't like it nearly as much as seitan or tofu. I know fermented soy products are supposed to be better for me, but I think that is trivial. I usually ate the same brand you guys are talking about, either 3 grain, garden veg, flax, etc. But nothing is better than my General Tsao's Seitan. NOTHING.

I think I've never had tempeh and I don't think I saw it in many food stores, though I think it's not that hard to do some home-made. I want to try some, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like it. Probably in August after my juice fast.

Like EndCruelty said, fermented soy (tempeh and miso) is supposed to be healthier than non-fermented soy (tofu, TVP and soy milk).