Skinny Bitch book

I just finished reading it last week. The language and crudeness in the book was a bit strong however I understand that the authors were trying to get their message across. After reading the book it confirmed my feelings as to why I had moved towards becoming vegan.

I appreciated the resources listed in the book. The website links were great to see. hmmmm.....why wasn't veganbodybuilding.com in there? I did see www.veganessentials.com

The book made me laugh a few places and also cry a few places. For the information that I learned, it was well worth the read.

i love the book, the attitude is what sets it apart from other vegan type books. nice little read if you're ever in the mood to refresh yourself, if you feel yourself slipping or craving crap food. read the book and it's enough to stop you dead in your tracks

Yep, I've read Skinny Bitch. I loved it! It takes some guts for these gals to be so blunt and honest. There needs to be more blunt honesty in this world. I really enjoyed the book. I think my favorite part was when they referred to soda as Liquid Satan and then went on a fabulous rant about how diet soda is just as bad. That kicks butt! It gives me some ammo for those people I know who act holier-than-thou because they drink the diet Liquid Satan.

Read it, had a good dose of info about the way farmed animals are treated and how the govt runs the food industry that I never knew.

It was extremely crude and the language was a tad bit much but hey, they wanted the book to have attitude to catch publicity so it would sell and influence others which it definitely has so I say, good job on that.

What's worth mentioning that I hadn't thought of is that a girlfriend of mine saw me reading the book and read a chapter or two from it while we were hanging and she said she was a little upset about the 'skinny' factor. Like that what makes them think every woman wants to be super skinny and why bash all women who aren't and tell them to look this way. That it was telling women they have to look a certain way and they should feel like shit if they don't. Interesting

But i'd still recommend the book to anyone. I bought it for my sister initially and she became a lot more closer to a vegetarian than she ever was and didn't eat meat for 4 weeks. Telling me stories about her zucchini pasta and all. Yea she still eats omni but it does have an impact on people when they read it.....

she said she was a little upset about the 'skinny' factor. Like that what makes them think every woman wants to be super skinny and why bash all women who aren't and tell them to look this way. That it was telling women they have to look a certain way and they should feel like shit if they don't. Interesting

I believe the point of the title, which I know all too well. Is other woman go right into "bitch" (even out loud ...in fact many times out loud.... whoohoo, can hear you, standing right here! ) when they see a thin woman. "That skinny bitch" from people who don't even know me (women) is unfortunately normal. They seem to judge us, trust me we could care less about their size. For those who are unaware one of the writers was a model.

Personally, I think there is a huge point that people are missing here, though, which is that there is a huuuuge difference between being "skinny" and being fit and healthy. It's the former ideal that, in my opinion, this book is promoting. Also, they advocate eating less than 1200 calories a day...I guess I'm just really surprised to see this book so wholeheartedly endorsed on this website. I agree that the promotion of a vegan lifestyle consisting of whole foods is a great aspect of this book. However, calling women "pigs", etc, for not eating 1000 calories a day and fitting society's runway model physique ideal is problematic at best for all women - including women who are interested in fitness and bodybuilding. Besides which, I have never considered fitness models to be "skinny." I think you can hardly call someone with that level of musculature "skinny". In addition to this, I know that even when I was a size zero, I would still get shit from people about my "man legs" because my quads were more developed than the average girl and because that kind of muscular development on women does not fit society's skinny (fat) ideal of how (not strong) women should look.. My two cents.

I kind of speed read the book at a bookstore once. The language was interesting lol, so that definitely caught my eye. I knew a lot of the info they told, but learned some new facts too. I think it's a pretty good book to give to people that are interested in eating healthier. I also laughed so much when I read it, which I don't usually do when I read books about being vegan. Usually I want to cry.

The title was one of the reasons for the books success. Victoria Beckham who is called a skinny bitch once picked up the book and posed with it in a book shop. She didn't even buy the book, but the pictures were featured in the tabloids and suddenly it became a bestseller in Britain and started getting tons of attention. The authors purposefully say at the end of the book that the title was just for attention, they don't care what size woman are, it is about being happy and healthy and vegan, no matter what size you are. But that being said, certain people do have to eat pretty low calorie in order to achieve their ideal body weight, because they have very slow metabolisms. And any more than an inch of body fat at your belly button for a women and half an inch for a man is actually too much for strictly health reasons. For ultimate health and longevity it is best to be thin. Muscular sure, but excess body fat is unhealthy and ultimately shortens your life. I still have more than an inch on my waist by the way, so I don't say this from any sort of a lofty position. I am still on the path to the ultimately healthy body.

What's worth mentioning that I hadn't thought of is that a girlfriend of mine saw me reading the book and read a chapter or two from it while we were hanging and she said she was a little upset about the 'skinny' factor. Like that what makes them think every woman wants to be super skinny and why bash all women who aren't and tell them to look this way. That it was telling women they have to look a certain way and they should feel like shit if they don't. Interesting

Why do some women always freak out about that? I remember one day my boyfriend bought me a fitness magazine and he knew I loved reading them. It was the Oxygen glutes special. He right away started defending himself going "I don't think you have a fat ass or anything, I just know you like reading these magazines" and he looked all nervous and I was like.. "dude.. Don't worry. I'm not like that"

In my experience, I've never had a boyfriend who liked super skinny girls in the first place. I assume most guys don't. Nothing to grab onto.

It's just a title, anyhow. Way to judge a book by it's cover, literally!

In my experience, I've never had a boyfriend who liked super skinny girls in the first place. I assume most guys don't. Nothing to grab onto.

Mine too! I've never had a boyfriend who worried about my weight, it was only ever me who was worried.

Most men don't like the kind of figures catwalk & fashion models have. Just the way few women find heavily muscled as in IBB champions, interesting.

Both those ideals are mostly for competition and head games in one's own sex. The "man's man" is some guy who looks like he has an air hose up pumping his inflating him to huge proportions. A "woman's woman" is uber thin.

I've heard that cat walk models are also insanely skinny because the clothing looks better hanging off of them. I've also heard some derisive generalizations that most fashion designers are gay men and being gay men they tend to appreciate a more "boyish" form over more womanly shapes. There may be a grain of truth in that generalization for some fashion designers.

It would certainly make more economic sense for clothing manufactures to make clothing that looks good on most women instead of the few who are naturally very, very thin or who work their asses off to be that way.

Hips and waists rule.

In the book they say that we only need between 18-60 grams of protein per day. They recommend exercise like biking on the weekends or taking walks after dinner.

Personally, if I don't work out hard everyday, I will gain weight fast and it's no fun.

Yeah, I can't sit around on my butt all day. It gets bigger if I do that! I gotta workout everyday or I go crazy.

Also, I think that much protein is too little. I eat 10-15g at breakfast easy. I don't have an insanely high protein diet or anything, but I try to eat a little at every meal.

HOWEVER if a person is consuming very high quality proteins from raw foods and such, I can see someone not needing that much. Brenden Brazier is a rock and he doesn't consume that much protein.

Women need to understand that us guys on the whole like healthy women who have some body fat.These super skinny models are really quite unattractive.

beforewisdom wrote:

Both those ideals are mostly for competition and head games in one's own sex. The "man's man" is some guy who looks like he has an air hose up pumping his inflating him to huge proportions. A "woman's woman" is uber thin.

Totally agree, spot on.Women dont like huge men, & men dont like skinny women