25 Cent Vegan Cupcakes

michaelhobson

http://bp1.blogger.com/_0oJtoa2ovoY/SEAt8jRl6VI/AAAAAAAAAJE/h9ijp3awSVk/s400/P1010650.jpg

For two weeks in May, Brooklyn artist Jillian May set up an unmanned kiosk teeming with vegan cupcakes and cookies and a sign prompting passersby to take a treat and leave a quarter in the jar to pay for it. The stand was an art project on honesty and culture called Conzept Kiosk and it soon developed quite a following from many Prospect Heights locals. http://www.supervegan.com/blog/entry.php?id=1106

Wow... those passers by suck in general - I totally agree with I'mYm - I'd be eating those up if somehow a stand like that were set up out here.

Do you think there would have been extra malice or mistrust because of the low price and veganism associated with the tasty treats on offer ?

Or do passers-by in Brooklyn just really suck, in general ?

I think the thingies are wrapped up, they look it in the picture ( ? ) so wouldn;t be crawling with germs from stuff going onto them like if they were just in the street.

Would someone Brooklyn-side maybe be likely to set up one of those kinds of Honesty Stands with poisoned stuff on it, or something ? Nasty !

I'd wondered if maybe people would think that anyway because of the super-low price.... it does seem a bit... strange, no ?

What if the baker put milk in there in a sick attempt to get vegans re-hooked? That is one thing to think of.

That will not make you suddenly addicted to milk again.

If the milk were laced with a highly addictive drug and a psychological connection between dairy products and the resultant high of the drug were somehow formed despite the preponderance of other ingredients masking the dairy, maybe.

I think maybe more what Dr. Pink was thinking is that someone might put dairy in there and advertise the cookies as vegan just to make vegans eat an animal product. Some people might get off to doing that.

What if the baker put milk in there in a sick attempt to get vegans re-hooked? That is one thing to think of.

If the milk were laced with a highly addictive drug and a psychological connection between dairy products and the resultant high of the drug were somehow formed despite the preponderance of other ingredients masking the dairy, maybe.

I think maybe more what Dr. Pink was thinking is that someone might put dairy in there and advertise the cookies as vegan just to make vegans eat an animal product. Some people might get off to doing that.

Yeah. Though I do know that a milk addiction wouldn't happen you never know what the mindset of someone that would do that kind of false advertising would be thinking.

I think more or less if there was milk in those vegan cupcakes the people who ate them( Be it that they are indeed vegan ) they might get a pretty bad stomach cramp or something.

These are some pretty good points.

I'm not street smart in the slightest, then - no surprises there here in the rustic isles people have food-based Honesty Stands etc, and nobody thinks anything of it.

I have only the haziest notion of what Brooklyn is like though, i have a vague idea of it being something simialr to Harlem or somewhere like that ?

Yeah if it were in a city, like that .... I don't know.... city people can be right nuts , sometimes, even compared to hicks.

If it were out here though, hmmm.... well ok I'd not believe they were vegan, but if i knew the stall had been set up by a vegan somehow or something.... in an environment like this, I imagine this is a lot different from how it is in Brooklyn.

Edited by Astrocat

ha, my hick mindset fails me once more.

I think I was going on the assumption that if a vegan were going about setting up cake stalls like that then I'd be bound to know about it, like.... I'd hear about it from my mum or somebody, since everyone seems to hear about everything anyone else does just about, round these parts.

So, I was thinking that I'd be finding the stall having already been tipped off that there's a vegan doing the rounds settng up cake stalls....

God, I'm hopeless at this conversation eh ?

haha

I'm still struggling just with comprehension of the disparity between trust issues here and everywhere else like, parents even seem surprisingly unbothered about temporarily abandoning their kids and stuff round these parts....

If i were a lunatic, then i could have effortlessly lured away and kidnapped two kids in this past month alone !

I think if one kid were snatched though and lost, the whole community could easily change overnight.

Like, now that I think about it (and as people have been saying) obviously in a city you're just encountering this stall there with no reliable ingredients, no previous warning that anything like that might be around, no idea who might be vegan in the area even to know whether there's anyone likely to be doing that or not, and so forth.

Man.... I'm off to go and accept some sweets from random strangers now

There's some theories saying dairies and meat can actually be addictive and even have an effect on human hormones responsible for agressivity, stress, crime rates and raising the level of violence, because of the grownt hormones and experimental drugs that they inject to milk cows and factory animals. Meat and espescially red meat are stimulants. Also, all the meat-eaters have to deal with enormous stress after eating meat full of the adrenalin because of the terrible fear that the animal lived during the last moments before slaughter. There was even an episode of The X-Files based on this, lol.

Samething with sugar. Now there's sugar in everything, liquors, tobacco. People eat about their own weight (70kg) in sugar every year, while some centuries ago it was 0 grams. Madness history, mental deseases started at the same time than sugar trade in the 18th century.