Nutritional Yeast

yo kids

does anyone eat this? where i work i buy in bulk. I LOVE IT. I sprinkle on anything and everything. don't know how vegan it is because when i was a kid my gramma would scoop a spoon of fresh nut. yeast and we'd all watch it jump and fly into the air. "eets alive!"

I know its contains a high level of carbs/aminos/protein

famous tofu sauce recipe... pour over any veggies/rice/beans/salad/sammich.

1 block tofu

braggs amino acids (maybe 1/4 c)

nutritional yeast (maybe 1/4c?)

garlic pwdr

spike w/ no salt

1/2 c to 1 c water

1/4 c olive or safflower oil

1 tbl parsley dry (for garnish dude)

puree everything. bring to a boil. simmer for 5 minutes. dont let it get thick, as it cools it gets heavier. oil isn't necessary for those worried, lemon+kombu seaweed+namashoyu helps the taste. ive never used a recipe just added more braggs and yeast until it tasted amazing. mix well and serve at room temp over your bland foods. sprinkle dry basil or parsley to garnish. MMMMM

I eat nutritional yeast pretty much every day, buy it in 5 pound bags from www.bulkfoods.com Although, I might pick up the 15 pound bag next time.

I don't know what you and grandma were smoking with your nutritional yeast, but it doesn't jump or fly. It's a single celled plant organism to begin with and also quite dead by the time it's made in to nutritional yeast.

I have had a tub in my cabinet for a month, but it's the one thing I'm afraid to try, haha! I just don't know exactly what I would put it on. I'll try some of these suggestions.

Nutritional yeast is great on beans, veggies, grains, popcorn and baked potatoes. It's even better with a little Earth Balance, or oil if you don't have EB, along with some salt and pepper.

I just got another five pounds in the mail today, should last us 3 or 4 months.

I eat nutritional yeast pretty much every day, buy it in 5 pound bags from http://www.bulkfoods.com Although, I might pick up the 15 pound bag next time.

I don't know what you and grandma were smoking with your nutritional yeast, but it doesn't jump or fly. It's a single celled plant organism to begin with and also quite dead by the time it's made in to nutritional yeast.

Wow it's cheap there. I've been paying ~$9/lb at Wegmans. The local co-op has it for ~$13/lb.

I never put nutritionnal yeast on my meals or in recipes because I hate to cook so I keep the list of ingredients pretty simple.

But sometimes I use brewers yeast as a supplement in water and always have incredible energy after this. It's a whole food containing complex carbs, fibers, proteins and about all the vitamins and minerals you can think of.

I eat nutritional yeast pretty much every day, buy it in 5 pound bags from http://www.bulkfoods.com Although, I might pick up the 15 pound bag next time.

Wow it's cheap there. I've been paying ~$9/lb at Wegmans. The local co-op has it for ~$13/lb.

Yeah, I've searched dozens of places online and here in Pittsburgh and nobody has it as cheap. It's Red Star Vegetarian Support formula too, which is fortified with B12, not all brands are. I like this company, they always ship withing 24 hours and I always receive good product that is nicely packaged. I wish their prices on other things were more competitive though, I don't buy much else from them because their other prices are pretty high.

this is what i mainly use nutritional yeast for :

And recipe...

"Cheese sauce"

1/2 C. Nutritional yeast

1/2 C. Flour

2 C. Water

1 Tsp. Salt

1/2 Tsp. Garlic salt

Heat in sauce pan on med and stir with a wisk until it comes to consistency you desire...

When done, add 1 tsp. Yellow mustard, and 1/4 C. Margarine

This is great for mac and cheese esp. if you add a little black pepper... if you want nachos, I chop up some canned jalapenos and add a little of the juice to the mix I heat up...

Even non vegans dig this! it was a hit last time i did the vegan potluck at the local bar i haunt.

Yeah I eat it a lot. I'm need to start eating it a little more though.

I love it on spaghetti in place of parmesian and it's also amazing on popcorn with flax seed oil.

It's great for non human animals as well. Cats love it. My dog loves it too.

wow good ideas ! I never bought nut. yeast but now I wanna try it! I like how you say "non human animals" lol

this is what i mainly use nutritional yeast for :

And recipe...

"Cheese sauce"

1/2 C. Nutritional yeast

1/2 C. Flour

2 C. Water

1 Tsp. Salt

1/2 Tsp. Garlic salt

Heat in sauce pan on med and stir with a wisk until it comes to consistency you desire...

When done, add 1 tsp. Yellow mustard, and 1/4 C. Margarine

This is great for mac and cheese esp. if you add a little black pepper... if you want nachos, I chop up some canned jalapenos and add a little of the juice to the mix I heat up...

Even non vegans dig this! it was a hit last time i did the vegan potluck at the local bar i haunt.

I make this without the margarine and it still rocks!

I just recently discovered the wondrous nutritional yeast.... I mix it with equal parts olive oil and Braggs liquid aminos to make a super yummy "cheesy" sauce that I mix w/ brown rice or pasta...YUMM!! It is also delicious by itself w/ some hot water as a kind of VERY nutritious broth.

yeah nutritional yeast!

oh and I read stories on the internet about people's pets finding it in the cupboards and opening the canister to eat it (!) I guess they crave it?!? I also read that it is in the mushroom family.

I just recently discovered the wondrous nutritional yeast.... I mix it with equal parts olive oil and Braggs liquid aminos to make a super yummy "cheesy" sauce that I mix w/ brown rice or pasta...

I have a recipe I created that involves brown rice/wild rice pasta, kale, spinach, tomato, garlic, and then flax oil and nutritional yeast. You're right, it does make a cheesy sauce.

Cats that we've had in the past always like yeast extract, but I've never seen if they like yeast flakes

yeah, I was thinking of trying some out on my "baby", Mojo-jojo

Haven't met a cat yet that doesn't love the stuff. They will even rub their face in it and roll around in it coating their fur. They treat it like catnip.

yeah! mojo always gets into bread if we leave it out on the counter! I gave him some NY this morning and he LOVED it..... now I am thinking about how easy it would be to make some home-made vegan cat food....hmmmm

I'd reccomend adding Vegecat to anything you make http://www.vegepet.com/forcats.html

Read their recipes and instructions here http://www.vegepet.com/vcatinstr.pdf

I love that yeast, too, and that is a good question on whether it is vegan or not. i guess it depends on who you ask and how vegan is defined. Yeast, along with spirulina, algae and mushrooms, could be considered grey areas.

I used to think that there were only plant, animal and mineral kingdoms but I guess Modern Biology has furthered the divisions to now include Monera aka Prokaryotae (bacteria, blue-green algae), Protoctista (red algae, slime mold), and Fungi among the living... the question is what and who art the living?

Personally I do eat everything except animals, animal ingredients and animal products; for example I don't eat honey or bee pollen because they come from a bee which many people ask why? it's just an insect...yeah but it's still an animal...but yes I do eat probiotics (good bacteria), the above mentioned yeast, algae, fungi... i just don't eat any being with a face or anything that came from some being with a face.

I'm sure there are people out there who define their veganism differently; as a matter of fact a friend of mine knows a vegan who only eats vegetables and fruits that have been picked or that have dropped off a tree/plant.

Hey, free will. I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do. It's said we're all crazy so to master ones own insanity may be the key?

You just raised some interesting questions for the anti-speciecists!

Personally I eat spirulina and try to enhance my immune system to be a more effective killer of unknown organism even though I could probably survive even while taking immune repressive drugs.

I don't understand the philosophy of killing a million bacteria while saving 1/10 of a cow while claiming to be anti-speciesist.

Here's to not having tapeworms and fruit flies in court (with rights comes responsibility, right?)!