Slow absorbing proteins

soy is supposed to be fairly slow digesting

Can we say "absorbing" and "digesting" means the samething?

I heard soy is fast absorbed (going quickly to the muscles), but it was compared to whey and casein. So I guess if you want a slow absorbing protein, go for everything but soy.

soy is supposed to be fairly slow digesting

Can we say "absorbing" and "digesting" means the samething?

I heard soy is fast absorbed (going quickly to the muscles), but it was compared to whey and casein. So I guess if you want a slow absorbing protein, go for everything but soy.

i think soy protein in it's natural form is slow digesting but products like SPI is fast. this is something I read a long time ago though so I'm not sure at all. Perhaps someone can back it up disprove it.

I agree with I'm Your Man and Kevinhaney and whomever else mentioned about the use of fats....

Mix some fat with your protein to slow down digestion. Before my workouts, I usually consume durian or coconut because they're fatty. You can always add coconut oil to any shake as well.

I don't worry about consuming the two at the same time really. I consume my fatty fruit before workout and then an algae/protein shake during my workout.

At night, I generally have been staying away from food in general except when i get home from training late and then i just have some blended up fruits that are high in sugars to get fuel straight to the muscles. Feel like I have been consuming enough during the day to last throughout the night...

Personally I eat whatever I fancy before bed, if anything at all..

Nuts sound like a good idea but arent they quite a challenge for a belly to digest? My understanding is that at night your belly starts to shut down so nuts wouldnt seem a good idea? I dont know.. what do you guys reckon?

When I was saying soy is fast absorbed, I was talking about soy protein isolate powder. Since it doesn't contain any fat or carbs, the protein digestion can start right away, so amino acids reach muscles earlier than if there was carbs and fats to digest too. TVP would take a bit longer because it's solid. If you eat the whole soy beans or tofu, it's a different story of course and may take way longer, simply due to a different digestion because it's in a different form even if it's the same source of protein.

Also, besides the digestion itself, I guess there's a different timing for each kind of proteins, soy amino acids profile may require less time for the body to break it down and build the complete amino chains, flowing quicker to blood and muscles, than let's say hemp, whose amino chains are made more gradually over a longer period of time.

Perhaps we could compare this protein absorption the same way we can compare simple/fast sugar and complex/slow carbohydrates, sugar may cause sugar rush and crash in blood but not complex carbs. So there's slow and constant flow of proteins, or there could be a rush of proteins.