Are my calories too low?

Sorry to be a bother, but I am feeling down on my diet lately. It's mostly soymilk, cereal, lots of fruits, some veggies, protein shakes and protein bars, sometimes hummus, beans, wheat bread, etc.

I have been doing this cut for over 2 months now. I was at 215lbs (6'1, barrel chest frame) and I am down to 198lbs or so, but I am very tired during workouts (2x a week weights, plus some biking and walking randomly throughout the week), and I just don't know if I should be eating more. I am afraid to increase my calorie intake, because I want to keep losing weight, but I am kind of sick of being tired. Any ideas on what I can improve on?

Thanks in advance!

Average Calories (over the last month)

grams cals %total

Fat: 56 507 25%

Sat: 11 96 5%

Poly: 14 125 6%

Mono: 16 147 7%

Carbs: 338 1164 56%

Fiber: 47 0 0%

Protein: 94 376 18%

Alcohol: 2 15 1%

Total: 2143

Any calorie reduction that involves losing more than 1 - 2 pounds a week is likely too low. Different people have different sizes and systems so what works for one person will not work for another. Food is energy. When you cut back on it you are going to feel tired, because you are taking in less energy. If you increase your calories do it slowly. You should experiment with losing only 1lb or lower if you are finding your current regime uncomfortable.

Fatigue could be caused by a thousand different things, lack of sleep, of a certain vitamin or of calories, etc...

it seems like there's not enough greens in your diet, and greens are almost the only foods that are alkaline to the blood, so you need to eat a lot of those. Because if the blood is not healhty, then the body is not healthy.

SeaSiren, I love your avatar!

What is your goal ultimately? (lose fat, gain muscle, etc)

What does a typical day look like? (Meal 1, Meal 2, etc)

Ok, I will give ya yesterday, since that's what I remember.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/595/69937747xu8.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/595/69937747xu8.12e6c21f48.jpg

Fatigue could be caused by a thousand different things, lack of sleep, of a certain vitamin or of calories, etc...

it seems like there's not enough greens in your diet, and greens are almost the only foods that are alkaline to the blood, so you need to eat a lot of those. Because if the blood is not healhty, then the body is not healthy.

Hmm, well my vitamin and mineral macros are all fine, but my selenium intake tends to be a bit low? I get about 8.5 hours of sleep most nights. Also, I would eat more greens, but they taste horrible and I am constantly on the run, so I don't have a lot of time to make big salads (the only way I can seem to choke them down). Any ideas?

Blend your greens into smoothies.

I hate kale, but it's so nutritious and I know this, so I'll put about a cup of kale into my green smoothies with fruit, hemp protein, and some juice.

Cucumbers, carrots, and celery are good to munch on by themselves.

SeaSiren, I love your avatar!

x2

Marcina, I dearly miss yours and that wonderful smile, even though that is a powerful symbol.

A magic bullet wont cut it Fallen Horse, you need a big blender like a blendtec or vitamix. Save up, i know you're poor but it's worth it and when you can afford one, splurge on it b/c you'll be forever grqateful.

Def recommend blending up the veggies. Adding lemon/apples/avo's/mint to it as well for optimum flavor and texture....

Calories, go with what works. 2,000 isn't alot but it also isn't a little. You're right in the middle. Less than 1500 is drastic and above 3000 is for bulkers or high metabolisms (for men) imo... but then again everyone is different.

I'll keep checking up on this threas and post more if possible...

I feel tired if I over-eat

If I eat less than normal - I actually feel better, but I force more in everyday to try to gain weight.

Not sure why you would be tired as your diet seems ok, sleep is good enough, & if you are getting enough vitamins you should be ok.

1.I cant see any natural fats in the diet, I appreciate fat is the enemy as you are trying to lose weight but a small handful of nuts or an avocado might help.

2.Try less or more sleep for a while.8 hours is the recommended amount but some people get on better with less like 6hrs.Personally 8 hours is not enough for me I need more like 10hrs! It might be worth trying to get more for a week or so, & then less for a week or so, see if either option makes any difference..

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

SeaSiren, my goal is mostly to be at a healthy weight (healthy bodyfat, bmi, whatev) and to have some muscles mass so I don't look like a puny vegan.

I have REALLY been wanting a Blenctec or Vitamix, but they are just SO expensive, even used. You guys know of any good places to shop around?

I will post yesterdays diet. I overate on accident (damn not having access to Fitday!) but it was still a mostly healthy day, so whatev.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5505/95931327md9.jpg

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5505/95931327md9.545ac23cb3.jpg

I've been meaning to post about myself in this thread. I'm not trying to hijack it, I just have a similar problem.

I think my caloric intake is too low. Lately, my appetite has diminished to the point where I'm only eating about 3 small meals a day. I eat fruit, mostly, some veggies, and usually a protein shake. I'm starting to get very tired from this lack of food, but can't seem to rev my appetite back up. I'm still working out, which usually gets my appetite going, but lately it's not.

I need help, I'm worried that all my hard earned muscle is going to shrink and I'm gonna get sick!

Personally I think your cals are way to low. I also don't believe in eating very low fat to cut.

I believe you need enough good fats whatever your goal is.

I'm shorter than you and I'd lose weight if I only eat 2000 cals. I need about 3000-3500 to stay at where I'm at now and 3500-4000 to gain(muscle).

I feel fine eating lots, not tired, always full of energy and I never get sick. I almost can't remember the last time I had anything, even a runny nose.

I geuss everyone is different though.

I do get edgy when I don't eat enough. 2 reasons I reckon, not enough fuel and knowing that I will lose muscle.

Being a woman, my body will hold onto fat more than yours will naturally

Today I'm gonna eat every 2-3 hours. Even if it's just some fruit or something. Eating more often should rev up my appetite a bit, cuz my body will expect food.

So do I.. I feel like crap today. Like I got hit by a truck.

Forcing myself to eat is a lot harder than I thought it would be. The worst part is I feel like a pig. I want to lose weight so badly I guess I ended up restricting myself of too many calories. I still haven't lost any weight. I think I gained some. It's so frustrating ya know?

For me, when I try something (like losing weight) but it becomes frustrating and never seems to work even how hard I try, it usually means it's just not the right time, so I forget about it and then a few weeks/months later it goes naturally and smooth without any effort and sometimes I even barely notice that I'm actually doing it or restricting anything because it's so natural and right for this time. . It was like that when trying to stop smoking, drinking alcool, or quiting a certain food, or going on diet, etc.

So I suggest to maybe try it later. Maybe you don't feel like eating because you're depressed or you want to lose weight so much that you stress about every calorie and about eating.

But if it's just you don't feel like eating, fasting once in a while (but not for too long, or take at least 1 protein shake per day just not to lose muscle) can actually be good. Your body detox, cleans and heals and also the spirit and mind, and after a few days your appetite might come back to normal.

For me, when I try something (like losing weight) but it becomes frustrating and never seems to work even how hard I try, it usually means it's just not the right time, so I forget about it and then a few weeks/months later it goes naturally and smooth without any effort and sometimes I even barely notice that I'm actually doing it or restricting anything because it's so natural and right for this time. . It was like that when trying to stop smoking, drinking alcool, or quiting a certain food, or going on diet, etc.

So I suggest to maybe try it later. Maybe you don't feel like eating because you're depressed or you want to lose weight so much that you stress about every calorie and about eating.

But if it's just you don't feel like eating, fasting once in a while (but not for too long, or take at least 1 protein shake per day just not to lose muscle) can actually be good. Your body detox, cleans and heals and also the spirit and mind, and after a few days your appetite might come back to normal.

Stress releases cortisol which is what causes the body to hold on to fat.

After losing my job and everything, stress really built up a lot. Plus, I have very unrealistic expectations of myself. Now that I've "woken up" somewhat.. I look in the mirror and see someone who's too skinny as is. Stress and stuff can really mess with your head and make you see things that aren't real.. Like me having a monstrously huge bum. I don't. I have a regular sized bum but my waist is so small it makes my bum look bigger!