I'm Shawn

Future

Hello! Well I am a bodybuilder and have been doing some soul searching. I want to change my life a bit after seeing some issues about the treatment of animals. I am going to start to change into a vegan.

This is my wife Tami and I at my first bodybuilding show a month ago.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/shawnbellon/053108-2.jpg

Welcome to the vegan world Shawn. You'll find a lot of uneducated bodybuilders out there who will say you can't be both vegan and a bodybuilder, but more and more people are stomping all over that myth every day. I'm sure you'll do well. Just from looking at you it's obvious that you have the dedication to do whatever it takes to reach your goals.

Hey Future. I am a bodybuilder as well, welcome! I'm glad you got interested in veganism after seeing the treatment of animals, it is absolutely horrible! The more I go the more I see and it's very ugly.

Personally I knew nothing about the treatment of animals when I went vegan. I did a competition and I saw how beneficial raw vegetable juices were for me and one thing led to another. Several books later I became a vegan. After meeting other vegans, they brought to light what happens to animals and the ethics and I was both mortified and thankful I was already vegan. Then I saw it just to stop buying or wearing animal like leather, etc.. and the rest was history.

How does your wife feel about your recent inclination to try a plant based diet and lifestyle?

I hope you find this place pleasurable; there are tons of great people here and many bodybuilders.

What organization did you compete in and what weight class if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! My wife is totally onboard with me. We will be making the change and educated ourselves. For us it is more about being appreciate of what has been placed on this planet for us. We are given a responsibility NOT be act like animals in spite of our placement in the animal kingdom.

Personally, I don't care what others tell me about my bodybuilding etc. It all comes down to hard work, a smart plan and good nutrition period.

I am 6', 245 lbs right now and getting ready for another show in about 3.5 weeks. I should be around 235 or so.

You are awesome Shawn! I love your outlook! You'll find that we're pretty positive around here...me more than most, but it has a trickle-up effect and it brings out the best in everyone.

You're going to fit in quite well around here and be an instant role model!

All the best in your show...where will it be?

Thanks man! I have been lifting since age 11 so its been a "strength" for me.

My show is the Indiana States here in Fort Wayne, IN. Alot of freaks there. I will most likely get a nice 2nd which I think will be the norm. I dont have the size to compete with the superheavy weights nor will I compromise to be THAT competitive. Its a fun hobby and I love it.

Welcome, Shawn!

You look fantastic and so does your wife! I'm thrilled to hear that you're going vegan and I wish you best of luck making the change.

I believe you'll find all the help you might need from this forum. I already see that you have the dedication for accomplishing great things, veganism is just one more great thing!

Hi Shawn;

Welcome to the forum and to veganism.

There is a lot of crappy vegan nutrition "information" on the web. I made a sticky ( a permanent post ) to help people get started with reliable vegan nutrition information. You can check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13710

There are other useful sticky's for new vegans and athletes on this forum here:

viewforum.php?f=6

Hi Shawn!

I suppose you're the same "Future" as the one on Intense Muscle?

Great to have you here!

Good luck with your show!

I know you know your stuff, so i'll hold my tongue about tips for the transition and on how to avoid mass loss ... but if you're interested in exchanging vegan prep experiences, feel free to PM me

Peace,

Daywalker

Hey there future, its great to have you on here - you are in great shape

You have made a great choice becoming vegan, its absolutely guaranteed to make you alot healthier & feel much better in general.

I went from lifting weights, while eating alot of whey protein, milk, cheese & fish, to being totally vegan & still doing the same workouts.Ive got to say at first I lost a little strength & weight, but that was due to not eating the right vegan diet.After some experimenting I have found that I can gain the same muscle on my new diet, it just took some research & trying different things (oh & eating just a little more than before)

How much protein & calories did you take in each day?

Thanks again for the welcome.

Right now I get about 60 grams of protein every meal. My total calories varies from day to day but it is roughly 3500 This past offseason I was very high in calories ranging between 6000-9000 based on a carb rotation. It will be harder to do now nor do I want that. I got too fat. And now I am about as strong as when I started dieting at 285.

6000-9000 a day is a fairly large amount!

I am eating around 4000 at the moment & that is way enough!

Wow.. I literally couldnt eat any more

Well I am sure you will find all the help & support you need to make the transition on here.

I think the biggest challenge for vegans is not getting enough of the right protein.

Alot of the guys on here order protein shakes that contain lots of different sources.You should be able to do the same.Unfortunately I cannot get it as I live in England (where to my knowledge there is no such thing)

I try to eat lots of combinations like beans/bread, rice/lentils, lots of nuts & soya protein shakes, tofu, quorn, & then some more beans

If you need any more suggestions just ask & if you have any suggestions please do!