Veganpotter - Account Erased!

michaelhobson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He posted stuff to the new forum? He hasnt posted in a while I know that. He left.

No, he hasn't posted in the new forum. His old posts are still here, I just couldn't find them at first because the SEARCH function only works for new posts.

He hasn't been around for about a month, hasn't answered my PMs even. Now his account has been deleted. I'm wondering if he was locked out, or chose to leave? With his account being deleted, I'm inclined to believe someone secretely locked him out.

I don't like repeating second hand information that is someone else's perrorgative to disseminate. However, my intuition is that this thread will quickly degenerate into a string of negative postings. I will say that what Michael noticed was the result of decisions made by Rob and veganpotter. I will leave it to Rob to post more about this topic if he chooses to do so.

Jeez why do you gotta jump to conclusions and assume there's some kind of evil moderator conspiracy? Running a message board community is no easy thing to do. Cut them some slack. Or at least wait for facts before condemning them.

Jeez why do you gotta jump to conclusions and assume there's some kind of evil moderator conspiracy? Running a message board community is no easy thing to do. Cut them some slack. Or at least wait for facts before condemning them.

Just going by what has happened on here in the past.

I'm sorry, but I think that's lame. The moderators and Robert have created this community and allowed you and everyone else to post here free of charge. Running a website like this costs money. Bandwidth, hosting, software all cost money. Running a website takes time and energy. Updating it, fixing bugs, keeping up with the community, moderating, etc. It's work, and it costs money.

Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. Sometimes those decisions won't be popular. But it's Robert's board, and I think he does his best to be fair and run a good community. It's inappropriate to dump on him and the moderators without knowing any of the facts. No one is forcing you to post here, and the admins/mods have a right to run the board as they see fit. If you think they do such a horrible job, why not start your own vegan fitness website and see how hard the job really is? You might have a little more appreciation for the effort that goes into something like this.

I haven't been on much lately because I've been doing a lot of other things including being in a different country each of the past 4 weeks (basically Canada, then somewhere in the US, then Canada again and back to the US, but still sounds cool to say).

I can address it later but ultimately it was my decision to remove veganpotter from the forum. We're still in touch, we're hanging out multiple times this summer on the west coast and east coast, I just concluded that his posting style didn't fit with my vision for the forum. We tried for months to come to some sort of resolution that worked for both of us and ultimately I closed his account because I didn't feel that his posting style represented our mission and vision and found it to be in some cases detrimental to the forum. He remains a good friend of mine and I think he always will be. I make decisions based on the best interest of the community, so it doesn't matter if you're a popular poster, a moderator or someone new, everyone is expected to be respectful, mindful and tactful and if not, we work on finding solutions with varying outcomes.

I'm sorry, but I think that's lame. The moderators and Robert have created this community and allowed you and everyone else to post here free of charge. Running a website like this costs money. Bandwidth, hosting, software all cost money. Running a website takes time and energy. Updating it, fixing bugs, keeping up with the community, moderating, etc. It's work, and it costs money.

Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. Sometimes those decisions won't be popular. But it's Robert's board, and I think he does his best to be fair and run a good community. It's inappropriate to dump on him and the moderators without knowing any of the facts. No one is forcing you to post here, and the admins/mods have a right to run the board as they see fit. If you think they do such a horrible job, why not start your own vegan fitness website and see how hard the job really is? You might have a little more appreciation for the effort that goes into something like this.

Running a web site like this costs $8.95 per month at Yahoo with unlimited bandwidth and storage space. The software is free and I do run my own vegan forum thanks. I've known these guys for years and wouldn't give them a hard time if I didn't know them well and know they wouldn't be terribly upset by it. Maybe you should try the same before attacking people.

I haven't been on much lately because I've been doing a lot of other things including being in a different country each of the past 4 weeks (basically Canada, then somewhere in the US, then Canada again and back to the US, but still sounds cool to say).

I can address it later but ultimately it was my decision to remove veganpotter from the forum. We're still in touch, we're hanging out multiple times this summer on the west coast and east coast, I just concluded that his posting style didn't fit with my vision for the forum. We tried for months to come to some sort of resolution that worked for both of us and ultimately I closed his account because I didn't feel that his posting style represented our mission and vision and found it to be in some cases detrimental to the forum. He remains a good friend of mine and I think he always will be. I make decisions based on the best interest of the community, so it doesn't matter if you're a popular poster, a moderator or someone new, everyone is expected to be respectful, mindful and tactful and if not, we work on finding solutions with varying outcomes.

That's why I saved the rant bro, I figured there was a story behind it. I can't say I agree with the outcome, but at least you two are still on decent terms. Hopefully you can reconcile a bit when you meet in person, that usually helps.

Running a web site like this costs $8.95 per month at Yahoo with unlimited bandwidth and storage space. The software is free and I do run my own vegan forum thanks. I've known these guys for years and wouldn't give them a hard time if I didn't know them well and know they wouldn't be terribly upset by it. Maybe you should try the same before attacking people.

Sorry man, there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth and storage space for $8.95. If there was, every site on the planet would be hosted with this deal you speak of, and web hosting companies would be out of business overnight, not charging thousands of dollars a month for their services.

"Sites" that are run with Yahoo!'s software, on their message boards, with their ads, and no actual ownership of the domain, content, etc might run for $8.95 a month, but that's not really a site, that's just opening your own personal extension of Yahoo!. You can't have an actual website with unlimited bandwidth and storage for $8.95. In fact, you pretty much can't have it for any amount of money, since even the most expensive server will still run out of hard drive space eventually, and the most expensive network will still run out of bandwidth eventually.

But at any rate, I'm sorry you feel "attacked" by my messages. I felt like I was defending others (not that they need my help, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people blame moderators/administrators for things blindly), not attacking you, but if you felt attacked, maybe it's because you're projecting a little?

I don't know, but I do know that you shouldn't jump to conclusions. I'll leave it at that.

Sorry man, there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth and storage space for $8.95. If there was, every site on the planet would be hosted with this deal you speak of, and web hosting companies would be out of business overnight, not charging thousands of dollars a month for their services.

"Sites" that are run with Yahoo!'s software, on their message boards, with their ads, and no actual ownership of the domain, content, etc might run for $8.95 a month, but that's not really a site, that's just opening your own personal extension of Yahoo!. You can't have an actual website with unlimited bandwidth and storage for $8.95. In fact, you pretty much can't have it for any amount of money, since even the most expensive server will still run out of hard drive space eventually, and the most expensive network will still run out of bandwidth eventually.

Um, okay so damdaman is the all knowing man of web hosting. Talk about jumping to conclusions and speaking without knowing.

But, hey you're right it's not actually $ 8.95, it's:

$8.96 month For your first 3 months.

($11.95 / month after)

Key Features

Easy-to-use design tools Free domain name (like http://www.widgetdesigns.com)

Unlimited disk space

Unlimited data transfer

Unlimited email storage

And since it's not a real service, I surely don't host theveganpeople.com there. I mean if I did, my site would be covered in ads right?

How long have you been hosting web sites? I've been hosting sites for almost 15 years, worked on professionally on e-commerce sites for about 7 years in the middle of that, and now just doing hobby sites again. I know how much server space and bandwidth CAN cost. I also know how LITTLE it can cost.

So, I'll take your advice about fact finding before tossing out random accusations, as long as you can manage to do the same.

What is appropriate usage?

Yahoo! Web Hosting is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small, independently owned and operated businesses in the United States. It is not appropriate to use our services to support large enterprises or internationally based businesses with a sustained demand that places undue burden on our systems or negatively impacts use by small, independently owned and operated businesses.

Yahoo! Web Hosting is a shared web hosting service, which means that a number of customers' web sites and other email or storage services are hosted from the same server. Yahoo! uses abuse controls to help ensure that use of our services does not adversely affect the performance of our system or other customers' sites. It is not appropriate to use an account primarily as an online storage space or for archiving electronic files.

Disk space:

If you use your services consistently with the Terms of Service and these paragraphs, your site can grow as large as necessary to meet your small business needs, but to ensure a great experience for all, we will place some constraints on how fast you can grow. The vast majority of our customers' sites grow at rates well within our rules, but our abuse controls may cause a brief delay while we evaluate if expansion is appropriate.

Data transfer:

In most cases, if you use our services consistently with the Terms of Service and these paragraphs, visitors to your web site will be able to download and view as much content from your site as they like. However, in certain circumstances, our server processing power, server memory, or abuse controls could limit downloads from your site.

In short: it's unlimited until they decide you're using too much. This is the same with many companies claiming unlimited usage, when in fact they have a secret limit they don't disclose. It's not appropriate for hosting a high volume site.

Edited by Katabatic

What is appropriate usage?

Yahoo! Web Hosting is designed to serve the web hosting needs of small, independently owned and operated businesses in the United States. It is not appropriate to use our services to support large enterprises or internationally based businesses with a sustained demand that places undue burden on our systems or negatively impacts use by small, independently owned and operated businesses.

Yahoo! Web Hosting is a shared web hosting service, which means that a number of customers' web sites and other email or storage services are hosted from the same server. Yahoo! uses abuse controls to help ensure that use of our services does not adversely affect the performance of our system or other customers' sites. It is not appropriate to use an account primarily as an online storage space or for archiving electronic files.

Disk space:

If you use your services consistently with the Terms of Service and these paragraphs, your site can grow as large as necessary to meet your small business needs, but to ensure a great experience for all, we will place some constraints on how fast you can grow. The vast majority of our customers' sites grow at rates well within our rules, but our abuse controls may cause a brief delay while we evaluate if expansion is appropriate.

Data transfer:

In most cases, if you use our services consistently with the Terms of Service and these paragraphs, visitors to your web site will be able to download and view as much content from your site as they like. However, in certain circumstances, our server processing power, server memory, or abuse controls could limit downloads from your site.

In short: it's unlimited until they decide you're using too much. This is the same with many companies claiming unlimited usage, when in fact they have a secret limit they don't disclose.

I concede this point to damdaman then. Technically no such thing as UNLIMITED. But, this site would fall easily within the guidelines. Running phpbb3 with usually no more than 5 or 6 users at a time on wouldn't cause the slightest blip in Yahoo's bandwidth or storage space.

A pissing contest about a pissing contest.

Of course this thread has been hijacked, back on topic, the point was that our FRIEND Veganpotter, who contributed nearly 10,000 posts to this board was simply deleted without so much as a epitaph. Maybe that's how some of you treat your friends, but it doesn't sit well with most of us.