Veganpotter - Account Erased!

michaelhobson

This is another one of those threads that could have been handled privately. This thread does nothing positive for the forum.

I would have to disagree . I find it interesting to know that potter has been banned, and why (ok I admit the reasons are still not completely clear). Judging by this thread there are also others who finds it interesting. If this had been handled privately me and others would not have learned about this whole business. Besides, I dont see how telling things like they are could possibly be bad for the forum ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on it being something of "public" interest, as many of us do have a strong interest in the forum and the people who post here. I personally felt uncomfortable here after Jeremy was banned without a word, and I am glad to hear Robert's perspective.

I don't always handle things as well as I should in every single situation, just like the rest of us. I really try my best and do it while working 3 or 4 jobs and being in a different city every week.

Potter and I had been in touch for months and months regarding my issues with him. We exchanged many long e-mails and worked some stuff out for a while and months later it proved to still not work the way I had planned. I had to make a decision based on the best interest in the community (based on more e-mails than I could keep up with from members regarding a variety of issues involving potter). I explained that to him again very clearly and he said he understood and I took actions to change his status on the forum to inactive.

To assume I didn't put any thought into this is crazy. I had long talks with my roommates (who are all forum members) and other good friends, other forum members, friends outside of the forum to get general "management" advice, etc. as I proceeded with my decision. I explained it in ways potter understood and we remain friends. We're in touch on a regular basis, including the last two days, and he's staying with me this summer and I'll see him out East in his next of the woods later on in the summer. I care about him deeply and he knows it, but I have a job to do and that is manage this forum community.

Without being insulting, I will imagine based on statistics, that probably no more than 5 or 10 of you of the 1500 or so on here manage a forum. It's not the easiest thing in the world. Have any of you managed people before for a job you've been in? I have, and I do currently with two of my jobs. Managing people is one of the toughest things in the world to do.

Why it was kept quiet? I didn't want to make a big deal about it. There was all kinds of anti-veganpotter stuff going on the forum and I didn't like it and didn't want to ad to it. I wanted a quiet grace period. Maybe that isn't what all of you wanted, but that is what I wanted for both me and veganpotter. Then, quite simply I was gone, a lot, and never addressed it properly, which I take responsibility for and know is not how many would have liked to have seen me handle it. Sure, I work seven days a week, but still had time to start up all the muscle contests and post photos of my trips, etc. so I had time, I just didn't want to address it because I didn't want to start more big fights and divide the group again.

I always look out for the best interest in the forum whether people understand or appreciate that or not. And I'm OK with that, because I know "most" people do understand or have some perception of how challenging it can be to be in my position. I've also been here from day 1, not day 400 or day 700, etc. I've been here since the beginning so you can trust that I have some sort of grasp or understanding of how to run this forum to make it thrive and benefit a whole community.

I apologize for not addressing potter's departure earlier, but I had many reasons to keep it quiet and put a lot of thought into it and the departure was a good 6 months in the making through many discussions between veganpotter and I about a variety of issues that I felt were counterproductive though his participation here. You can find him on other forums. He's a nice guy and he'll be at my house soon.

Thanks for concerns and understanding.

Thanks for the thoughtful post Rob. I don't think any more can really be said about this subject. There was my original indignation at Potter's disappearance that started this thread, and you have now explained your position(a 2nd time) as best as is possible. Some folks may catch this thread late and have something to add, but really I consider it settled. Personally, I'm neutral on it at this point. Potter is still your friend and mine. There was some issue, apparently ongoing, that a lot of us just didn't see or know about. A decision was made and life goes on. Potter is not hard to find if you want to keep up with him.

I do want to clarify something for DV, I don't know if it was said in this thread or the other. My new forum at theveganpeople.com was not created by or for angry ex-VB&Fers. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I've been tossing the idea of a new forum around for years and just recently got around to it. It was up and running before I had any idea Potter had been banned. I have another forum that has been up for almost two years, http://vegan.meetup.com/399/boards/ which is very successful, but also doesn't meet all of my needs. So, in no way is my new forum related to any negative aspect of this forum, other than a few ex-members taking up residence there.

My real inspiration to start a new forum now was the SUCCESS of this forum. After years of trying to become a bodybuilding and fitness forum, it seems to really be succeeding in that. This is a GREAT thing for Rob, I know how hard he has worked, I've been here since day one. I'm just not as in to fitness any more, which makes 90% of the content here irrelevant to me, so I created another outlet for myself.

I agree on it being something of "public" interest, as many of us do have a strong interest in the forum and the people who post here. I personally felt uncomfortable here after Jeremy was banned without a word, and I am glad to hear Robert's perspective.

I agree with this also.