What do you guys do on road trips?

jmoney

I'm leaving to go to California tomorrow and I can only bring a little cooler with me. So I'm packing a loaf of Ezekiel bread, "raw" almond butter, a bunch of sliced veggies, a 48 oz fruit/hemp smoothie (in an insulated cup), some rice cakes and nuts, my biggest tupperware full of stir fry veggies tofu and brown rice. I'm so paranoid I'm going to run out of food (I will, its inevitable) and end up having to settle with some kind of greasy restaurant/food. Unfortunately I'm not the one driving. I leave tomorrow morning and don't get back until Monday evening. If you were wondering I'm going to the Electric Daisy Carnival in LA. Would you rather starve or give into nasty food??? I would NEVER give into eating meat or any animal products, but I don't want to eat any of that fried junk. Especially since this thing goes from 4pm to 4am. My friends want to stay for the WHOLE thing. I don't know what to do!!

One thing to do for your next trip is to check ahead for a bunch of good vegan restaurants in the area that you plan to visit. LA certainly has many many restaurants where you can get vegan food. Even along the way there are probably a couple places. it might be a bit late it this trip if you're leaving tomorrow morning. Personally I usually pack maybe a day's worth of fresh food, plus a bunch of convenience food like granola bars. If you have to resort to fast food, the best bet is probably Subway.

Have a fun trip!

Usually the easiest thing to do is buy a lot of seeds/nuts and dried fruit. You will probably feel pretty hungry the whole time surviving on those, but at least you won't have to resort to junk. A one pound container of hemp protein will keep fine warm for a few days. Sometimes I will bring some of that with me and either just mix it with water and neck it or bring along a little bit of stevia and carob if I am feeling sissy.

Last time I went on a huge road trip was a few years back ( When my mom and dad were still together ) I sat in the back seat( Of a relatively big mini van ) my dad rigged the family a little entertainment center in the car. My bro and sis sat in the middle seats( The middle and left ) with a mini portable screen attatched to a middle something( In between the two front seats ) and there was a DVD player for them( and they each had there own private headphones ) and I sat in the back( With the middle right seat folded for me to stretch my legs ) I had my own mini screen attatched to the head rest of the back of the middle seat and rigged to it was my XBOX( hooked up via a Home appliance/Car outlet converter).

That 5 day trip to Mexico was a blast. It wasn't like most typical family road trips you see with all the kids screaming and stuff. Everyone had there own thing to do.

Rigging a game system or something to the inside of your car is not that hard to do. You're friends( Three of you ) could sit in the back with one screen and three controllers.

But if you're not into that....then I don't know what else you can do. Besides play a game of 99 bottles of bear on the wall

Builder bars, clif bars, luna bars. Those bolthouse farm drinks that have lots of green stuff and also fruit. Pack in some actual fruit too. Maybe a cucumber...I like to eat them raw. Might bring some peanuts or other nuts. Plenty of water. I usually stop and get a subway and put some tofurky stuff in there, or get burritos if available. I also like tea so I bring a few tea bags. Peanut butter sandwiches. All kinds of things to bring. Granola. Definitely look up where you are going. Also find some veg places along your travel route if possible. I could see that being great. I like to eat at new places. I travel just to do that-Food safaris as I call them.

When I went to Cuba for a friend's resort wedding, I brought a big bag of protein powder (back when I used to drink shakes) and made shakes in my room. A piece of paper rolled into a cone makes a great funnel. I'd pour a full water bottle into an empty one, funnel in the powder and I was good to go.

These days, I pack a cooler. I don't leave home without one if I don't feel like I'll be in control of my food.

I usually make a tofu sandwich for the first day of the trip. I cook some kale, ring the water out of it and pack it in my sandwich. You can get about 2 cups worth in there. You could also make some bean wraps since they travel well and don't take up too much space. Will you have access to a fridge or freezer?

I make a snack mix with whole grain cereal, almonds, soy nuts and raisins. I love dried apricots and almonds for a snack.

My boyfriend and I are often on the run and realise 6 hours too late that we haven't eaten. We've gotten into the habit of doing car picnics where we'll dash into a grocery store and grab some pre-cut veggies, humus, whole grain bread, bean salad, fruit for dessert and have a picnic in the car.

If you're going with friends, I can't imagine they'll be opposed to stopping for 10 minutes for a quick trip to the grocery store.

Hope that helps!