Great to find this forum!

Wraith

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of going vegan and getting into fitness, I'm currently a smoker, but have been trying to kick the habit (I think it may take a few tries, but I'll get there sometime). Mostly I'll just be doing bodyweight exercises from Ross Enamait's 'Never Gymless' book, but I definitely need some help in figuring out the whole protein thing. My last couple blood tests showed I was low in total protein count, but I want to stay away from soybeans, protein powders, and vegan sausages/meats. So it's looking like I'm just going to have to get right into the beans (as well as the usual nuts, seeds, veggies, and fruits).

Just a bit about me, I'm a 32 year old male Canadian living in Japan, and it was the 72 year old bodybuilder on Youtube that eats nothing but nuts, beans, fruits, and veggies, as well as a guy on Ross Enamait's forum that eats fruit only (his name's the Fruitarian One) that has convinced me that veganism is the way to go, that and that I'm positively convinced that our current meat/fish lindustries are doing a lot of damage, and that consumers as a start need to at the very least cut down on meat.

In short, I need to fit all my prteins from whole foods into about 2300 calories, and getting enough prtein in there might be a challenge (basal metabolic rate at 1900 calories). I only need to lose a little fat, I'm kind of blessed that way, and my skeletal muscle mass is just a bit better than the average person's (at least here in Japan).

Welcome! The Fruitarian One goes by Bigbwii around here and he has been popping up again lately. I know you want to stay away from powders, but hemp is a good one that is whole food if you don't mind that. Also, nutritional yeast can be used as a seasoning or made into a dip and is loaded with protein also. Both are roughly 50% protein.

Welcome, Wraith!

I don't think you have any problems getting the protein you need from whole foods. Just go nuts all the time. ^_^

Hope you'll find all the information you need from the forum!

Hi and welcome!

As long as you have enough calories, I don't think you need to worry about proteins on any kind of diet, samething on a whole food diet especially if it's mostly raw (it's just my opinio but I think intact amino acids can be far superior to heated amino acids). But if you reduce a lot the calorie intake, maybe you'll want to check out whole foods high in proteins such as seaweeds and hemp, considering you want to avoid seeds, nuts and beans.

Have you heard about Tim VanOrden and his Raw Running Project? He's also a raw vegan eatng only organic fruits and greens. He's a role model like Richard Blackman and the 72 year old bodybuilder you talked about.

hey welcome aboard! where in japan are you?

my wife is from fukuoka (southern japan, kyushu island), we take the kids there every year or 2.

from personal experience, it's muzkashi (difficult) to eat vegan in japan unless you prepare your own food or eat simply. almost everything has daishi (fish flavored soy sauce), bonito (fish flakes), or something animal-based (like butter, milk, pork or beef extract). plus unless you can read japanese (i can't) ou may have to do your shopping at import places aside from your produce purchases.

are you looking to avoid the meat analogs and powders for a specific reason, because they are processed?

as above posts imply, you will be fine if you eat a varied diet because everything has some protein in it.

for example, broccoli, a giant plate of it: 125calories, 15g protein 10g fiber, 5g sugar. beans and nuts are a little more calorically dense but still have a good amount of protein; a handful (about 2doz) almonds are 6-7g protein but probably twice that in fat (although it's the good fat) around 200cal; a serving of lentils could be 10-20g protein and probably the same amount of fiber.

you may do well frequenting indian restaurants there, the ones i went to were very vegan friendly, also the buffet style (viking) restaurants are good because you can load up on heaping plates and plates of veggies and fruit and beans, too.

i'd also consider eating soy products that are fermented and cultured (that would be natto, miso, soy sauce, tempeh, etc.) since they are generally regarded better to eat than the non-fermented and cultured ones (because they supposedly stop the effect of phytic acid and increase the availability of isoflavones).

cheers!

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not avoiding nuts, seeds, and beans, they're part of my staple. I'd go for seaweeds, but the high amounts of vitamin K might interfere with a medication I'm taking. Veganism is very difficult here, and I pretty much have to do all my own cooking. That's all right though, I don't mind cooking, just looking for some good kidney chili recipe at the moment. I'm in Okayama (a city between Osaka and Hiroshima).

Welcome Wraith!

Powders can be just whole food in dried powdered form, making them more convenient to consume and travel with, like cubby said and algae (japan is HUGE about chlorella) is another one you could proobably get your hand one petty easily.

Great to have you around here. Bigbwii is the man. I haven't chatted with him much but I highly respect how he operates and thrives.

See you on the threads......