Is Wall-E the greatest movie ever?

markc7

I saw Wall-E today and absolutely love it. It got at 96% fresh rating on Rottentomatoes, and some of the words used to describe it are "instant classic", "masterpiece", and "perfection".

Here are some of the things that I found so compelling. One of the most incredible aspects of the movies is that there is no dialog for the first 40 minutes, but the main characters are established better than any other Pixar movie. The love story, despite being between two robots is the best of any animated movie I've seen. The movie has a strong message about environmentalism and anti-consumerism, which is super cool, but it never for a second feels preachy or simplistic. The movie's vision of a society where consumption has run amok isn't 100% original, but it was still surprising to me to see a mainstream movie push it so far. You'll know what I mean when you see Wall-E encounter humans for the first time.

Of course, the animation is flawless. The sound (much of the dialog is in beeps and whistles) is incredible. I don't think that there's any age group that wouldn't enjoy this movie. There are some scenes that riff off of 2001: Space Odyssey, which add to the enjoyment if you've seen 2001 but don't take anything away from it if you haven't. And best of all, this is a movie that is all about hope being awoken, in both the main and supporting characters, so it's got a great, uplifting story arc.

Go see this movie.

Never heard of it but reading the posts it seems interesting and I'll ut it on my must-see list.

Maybe i saw the preview when I was going to movie theatres many months ago. Now I live in a small village but I watch tons of movies on dvd.

2001 is one of the few movie that I can say it is "perfect" or almost perfect, another one is Vertigo.

we just took the kids to see it and we all really liked it... yes, it is a grim view of what is going to happen to this world if people don't get wise to their evil ways and open their eyes and see the "wal-mart-ization" of this world! I thought it was great to be able to use some of the themes from the movie to start some conversations about wastefulness with my 4 year old- I would definitely recommend it.... the animation was a trip!!

I saw the preview and it turned me off. Even the 2 minutes preview was a torture, so I don't think I would be able to endure 2 hours. It seems like it's childish humour from beginning to the end, eventhough it may be more intelligent than other animation movies from the past few years. I don't understand why so many "adults" go to see all those films featuring animals that dance and sing. Families, ok, but I've been working in a movie theatre and seen so many people with no kids going to see those movies.

At least Japanese animation movies are more for grown ups

I saw the preview and it turned me off. Even the 2 minutes preview was a torture, so I don't think I would be able to endure 2 hours. It seems like it's childish humour from beginning to the end, eventhough it may be more intelligent than other animation movies from the past few years. I don't understand why so many "adults" go to see all those films featuring animals that dance and sing. Families, ok, but I've been working in a movie theatre and seen so many people with no kids going to see those movies.

At least Japanese animation movies are more for grown ups

haha... you know, I didn't want to see it based on the preview... I was planning on sending my husband to see it with my daughter but it ended up as a family outing and I was pleasantly surprised. That being said, I definitely prefer 'japanimation' any day of the week especially Inuyasha.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw it and must say its a scary view of the future for this country. Just look at the people and how they interact with one another... hell they all weigh over 300lbs!

It may be a little too U.S. directed.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wall-e.htm

I am shocked at the horrible foreign box office on this.

I must agree! Usually it's 30% local profit and 70% foreign, but this one is 97% U.S and only 3% foreign!

OK....if Offense says it's good....I'll go see it

I don't have TV so I've never heard of it being advertised, but saw it mentioned here and then saw it listed in a theatre near my house. Maybe it's time to relax and watch a movie RC.