Advice on Blenders

Neubin

My current hand-me-down Kitchen Aid blender isn't doing that great of a job anymore and so I am in the market for a new one. Can anyone give any advice on blenders? Thing such as; what to look for in a blender, good brands, bad brands.. etc. I guess I am trying to get at things that you might find really helpful or useless in blenders you have used.

I visited the vita-mix website and was amazed by all the uses and power, but I have to be honest that I was a little surprised about how expensive they are. Are these things really that great? Does anyone use a dry blade? (I have never heard of this before I visited this site.) Are there any other brands that are similar?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

I blend fruit blenders full at a time. When frozen a more powerful motor is gonna be handy. I have a 600w blender and it mixes frozen fruit and liquids instantly. Dont get one of those $10 they only last for about a month or two if used every other day. The more watts probably the better and youll have more features to it.

I have one of the new Kitchenaid blenders with the hard plastic jar and built in blade. I love it so much. I use it to make smoothies from frozen fruit every night.

I had two high end cuisinart glass jar blenders for a couple years, but both of the jars got cracked at the same time in the dishwasher and I've been fighting with them since FEBRUARY to get them replaced. when we called they said they'd replace them, but so far they've sent the wrong replacement jar twice, and now I haven't heard anything in at least six weeks. We bought them for the warranty (3 years) which apparently was a huge mistake.

what everyone above mentioned..... The warranty and SUPER STRONG motor are a major plus t the high end blenders and are worth it. I love my Vitamix; it is heaven-sent

As for the dry blade, I have used it before, to make pie crusts, flours, grind things like grains and nuts, mix semi dry stuff together like dates with other stuff, make nut butters. You could probably do the same with the regular container but they say the dry container does a more efficient job. Just make sure you remember as stated in the instructions not to leave stuff in the dry container blending for more than 90 seconds at a time or you can burn out the motor.

I thought it was overpriced too until I bought one. Afterwards, I immediately saw the value and wanted another for the office in which I was working with.

So last night I used a friends Vitamix and was AMAZED. That thing is crazy awesome. With a taste of the almond cashew butter I made, I decided that I need one of those things, pronto. I couldn't stop thinking of some crazy combinations I want to try. Time to start saving.

So everyone, thanks for the posts!

I just bought a 5-tray excalibur w/26 hour timer so that was my big purchase for right now....and after I pay for my hypothetical 1/2 ironman entry fee;s (225!...ackkkkkkkkkk) I plan on getting a high end blender.......right now the blendtec is looking better to me than the vitamix.....new one's cost 400, looks like you can get a pratically new one on ebay for like 289ish