Roadtrip! Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and/or ???

loveliberate

It looks like I'm going to hit the road at the end of this month for about a week!!! WooHoo! Now I need to figure out where to go, what to do and all that - any suggestions? Want to join me or visit with me along the way?

As usual, my cash supply is almost non-existent so I'll most likely stay somewhere no further than I can hitchhike to in a long days trip. Since they are planning to start requiring passports for all international travel next summer, I'm mostly leaning towards heading up north to Canada. Nelson, BC is currently on the top of my list but I'm a tad nervous about trying to hitchhike across the border, post 9/11 - have any of ya'll done this recently? Victoria seems like it might be easier as lots of folks just take the ferry across to there... I'm very open to other ideas too!

The ferry to Victoria seems very easy...you could travel there, or hitch-hike to it and then just hop on. I've been up there twice in the past month and it has been no trouble at all crossing the border....in fact, I was recognized once by a fellow vegan who was selling tickets for the ferry, and we keep in touch. She visited Portland last week.

All the best!

After V.V. I may just keep working on things here and then I'm out of town. But if a trip up North seems to be an interest at the time, maybe I can catch up with you at a certain location. I don't think it is realistic but I've done some spontaneous trips lately.

Have fun!

Pittsburgh! Okay, maybe that's longer than a long day's trip. http://theveganpeople.com/images/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

Damn I'm jealous of this trip. I hear freedom calling me and am missing my rainbow brothers who are having one hell of a party in Wyoming about now.

Nice to hear from both of yinz!

Victoria is definitely shaping up as the more likely contender, particularly since there are so many nice places to visit on the way and nearby. I'd love to make it into the mountains further up the island and/or hang out across the strait in the Olympics...

Pittsburgh would be great & I'd love to finally meet you & your family Michael! I dont even want to think about the gathering right now...

• 3 weeks later...

So I've made my way to Victoria, British Columbia & have been having a great time!

I've been clearly reminded of what a wonderful region Cascadia is, how fortunate I am to live here & how much I love to travel! In the past 2 days, I've ridden 1 Amtrak train, 2 ferry boats, buses from 4 separate local systems, & been given rides in 4 different cars with people I'd never met before.

I'd still love to meet up with any of you forum folks while I'm up here in SW BC + folks in Washington state!

More later.