Tendonitis

Since going vegan I've noticed a lot more tendonitis in my joints after weights workouts. It's starting to affect my training.

I'll admit I don't eat a lot of protein, could this be the cause? Would supplementing with amino acids or BCAAs help? Collagen?

Yo, I haven't heard of tendonitis being related to diet. I used to suffer from achilles tendonitis when I was younger. As far as I know, it is to do with over-exertion / over-use, but I am not a doctor. Have you also recently started a new sport or anything?

Are you sure you have tendinitis? Did a doctor tell you this? Did you get a second opinion? Tendinitis is usually caused by overuse and poor ergonomics. Maybe it is just a coincidence?

One reason why some LONG term vegans get joint pain is that they, like most omnivores, don't eat foods with Omega 3 fatty acids Since you are a new vegan I highly recommend that your read this short post about beginning vegan nutrition:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13710

In the meantime, I would visit a sports medicine doctor and have him prescribe physical therapy to help you get over your tendonitis. Good PT can speed things up. Taking a spoonful of powdered ginger will have an anti-inflammatory effect and will be safe for your stomach. Just put the ginger on your tounge with a spoon so you don't taste it and bang it back with a glass of water.

A PT can show you how to stop doing what you are doing to cause tendonitis( fix your ergonomics, fix your bad habits ). A PT can also help it heal quicker. Since you have to go through a doctor to get to a PT you can find out if you really do have it so you can get the proper treatment.

When I started working out I wasnt eating right & I was over doing my exercises, aswell as possibly doing them with bad form - the result was what you are experiencing.

I now eat alot better, & include a glucosamine & chondroiten supplement (one pill containing both) which helps strenthen joints.

I also workout less & concentrate on getting better form.

Now I dont hurt any more!

Maybe it's not tendonitis then, because it's definitely NOT from overtraining or overuse ( I've worked out maybe 5 times in the past month due to moving, new job shift, etc. )

I also have carpel tunnel-like symptoms in my arms and wrists and shinsplints in my legs when I run. I've been to doctors, sports doctors, several PTs and no one can figure out what it is or how to make the pain go away. I don't know what else to do except stop moving my joints when the pain starts. But working out 5 times a month isnt going to get me any closer to my goals.

Thats why I was thinking it was related to diet, doctors RARELY ever consider diet when diagnosing patients.

Eat ground flax. Read the starter kit link I posted. Make sure you are getting everything you need, if necessary, keep a food diary to make sure that is taking place.

I have a collection of old sports related injuries. If I don't work out regularly, those injuries start to hurt because the muscles that align everything, keep things moving properly, etc get weak.

You could have a food allergy too. Meat, milk,eggs,soy,wheat, and citrus are the top allergens. Brown rice is hypOallergenic. Try switching your food choices for a while, try to notice how you feel after you eat.

I've tried B6, it does work somewhat for the carpal, but it makes me terribly nauseous.

I do have food allergies to wheat and dairy products, and I avoid soy due to thyroid disease. That doesn't leave a whole lot of variety in my diet.

You said that Tendonitis is not caused by overtraining - I typed tendonitis into google & the first link on the page said that Tendonitis was most commonly found in adults who do alot of sporting activites so im not sure where you think Tendonitis comes from?

It then goes on to say:

Tendonitis is most commonly caused by overuse or an injury to a particular tendon, such as a sports injury or repetitive strain injury (RSI). An actual tear in the tendon or in rare cases, an infection, may cause the condition.

Tendonitis can occasionally be linked to other medical conditions, such as diabetes or gout and tenosynovitis may be linked to rheumatoid arthritis.

Do you have diabetes or gout?

and I avoid soy due to thyroid disease

Has Soya been linked to thyroid disease? I ask because I eat more Soya than a large Chinese village.

Mindi you also wrote:

5 times a month isnt going to get me any closer to my goals.

Firstly what are your goals? It cant be weight loss because from your picture you are clearly an ideal weight, any thinner would not be good.

Secondly, you would be surprised how effective 5 times a month can be.I bet its enough to remain fit.I dont know you so please dont take this the wrong way but it seems like you may have an incorrect view of how much exercise is needed to remain fit.I work out sometimes only twice a week if im busy & I am still pretty damn fit.There is such a thing as too much exercise & im worried you may be in that zone.It would be a snug explanation for your symptoms.

All that being said 5 times a week can be ok for some people, but if you are not getting enough vitamins or protein or omega it is too much.I honestly feel like you are experiencing what I had when I first started working out as a vegan, & I only got better when I ate more protein & calories & cut down my workouts to a manageable level.

You said that Tendonitis is not caused by overtraining - I typed tendonitis into google & the first link on the page said that Tendonitis was most commonly found in adults who do alot of sporting activites so im not sure where you think Tendonitis comes from?

Do you have diabetes or gout?

and I avoid soy due to thyroid disease

Has Soya been linked to thyroid disease? I ask because I eat more Soya than a large Chinese village.

I said MY tendonitis must not be due from overtraining. I know tendonitis is from overtraining, therefore what I have MAY NOT be tendonitis, but I don't know what else to call it.

No I dont have diabetes or gout.

Yes, soy is a goitergenic food and should be avoided by people with thyroid disease, specifically hypo and hashimoto's. Soy by itself does not cause thyroid disease, but it does worsen the symptoms if the disease is present.

My goals are to gain more muscle mass, and I have a very thin body type which makes it hard for me to gain muscle. I just can't do it with once a week workouts, I need to lift heavy consistently to grow and keep my gains, or else my high metabolism just eats it up.

Stretching is the answer. If your exercise program doesn't focus on regularly stretching I suggest adding it. I've only recently realized that stretching is the foundation to strength, MORE important than anything else because stretching works everything at once, from muscles to tendons, etc. I am healing my weak points (left foot hurt from tennis, right hand from computer) via stretching. Though I've gained muscle and strength over the past couple years since I've been intensively interested in muscle work, muscle/strength building - it is only recently I've realized the true importance of stretching. My weak points are now getting stronger, but most striking was the experience of my girlfriend - she's a gardener and was aggravated by a torn rotator cuff - she was always in pain and felt disabled because of the pain (5 lbs was to much to lift). It wasn't until she performed daily stretching in the last 4 months that she healed her range of motion imbalances - now she is stronger than ever with more muscle (still petite, but now she's starting to look like a little fitness model, yum). The point is, her daily gardening work was not sufficiently stretching her - and the same goes for all those for whom pain limits them, especially us computer users - stretching is required for optimum health!

Mindi wrote:

My goals are to gain more muscle mass, and I have a very thin body type which makes it hard for me to gain muscle. I just can't do it with once a week workouts, I need to lift heavy consistently to grow and keep my gains, or else my high metabolism just eats it up.

Fair enough Mindi, I have the same meatbolism & it is very hard for me to gain weight too.Its a real pain in the butthole isnt it?

Dont worry too much about it though, you look great as you are