Suggestions for a friend looking to go vegetarian/vegan

Well it looks like leading by example has finally paid of. A friend from college recently e-mailed me regarding switching to a vegetarian diet. This friend has a few medical complications and had some questions for me. I'll post the e-mail below and would appreciate any feedback/tips/suggestions.

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research lately and have come to the decision that I want to become a vegetarian, or at least as close to one as I can get. I know it’s a difficult process one way or the other, but what will make it harder for me is that I have some major limitations, and Steve knowing most of those thought you might be able to give me some suggestions or know where to look for more information. I’m very allergic to Soy and soy products, and recently found out that I have Celiac’s Disease and it actually might be the reason behind most of the medical things I have… so I cant eat Gluten any more either. The hope would be that if I can totally eliminate gluten from my diet, that then some of my food allergies may go away, if that included the soy allergy, that would rock! Cuz then I could actually eat tofu and stuff. Lol… but in the mean time, if you had any idea’s on what I could eat as a protein that wasn’t soy based and would be gluten free ( I was trying out barely – found out it is one of the biggest sources of gluten besides wheat and rye).

So anything you may be able to tell me or if you know websites or books that would be good to look at and read, that would help me… I would greatly appreciate it!

She also had type 1/2 diabetes (or both) I think the doctor's are still on the fence. Any advice for this person?

Thanks!

Wait. Foods that are:

1. Vegetarian

2. Soy free

3. Gluten free

4. Diabetic safe

Wow.

Ok, beans for sure. All of those are still safe.

She should at least try some 'unprocessed' soy to make sure she can't handle it (tempeh, soybeans).

Is rice safe? Oats? They might have gluten, IDK.

Veggies! All and every.

Fruits in moderation (for the sugar spike).

Nuts for fat!

So fruits and veggies for vitamins, beans and nuts for minerals and fat, maybe rice and maybe unprocessed soy. I'm sure there is more I am forgetting but that's a start at least...

EDIT: Oh and dairy I guess, but who wants to do that?

Edited by Fallen_Horse

I know there is a yahoo group for celiac vegans and I know there are at least two books on hypoallergenic vegan foods. Dr. Neal Barnard ( PCRM ) has a book where he talks about food allergies, it has all vegan recipes. I *think* it is "Foods That Fight Pain"

I used to be very intolerant of soy and soy products and was recommended by a dr to add soy products into my diet slowly to build a tolerance. I wasn't very confident that would work but I started by eating a bit of tofu here and there and adding occasional tempeh, soymilk, etc to my diet and it actually worked... over the course of a year or so.

Sprouted grains and breads, such as spelt, kamut, amaranth and quinoa are often better tolerated by people with a gluten intolerance, than the more processed types. Rice is gluten free too. I don't think small amounts of unprocessed soy products like tempeh should be a problem but generally it is best in small amounts just to assess tolerence. Nuts, seeds, legumes and vegetables should be the bulk of the diet, along with some varied sources of fats, like flax sprouts and avocado. I guess the key is to make the food taste good, tasty vegan food can win over just about anyone.

I can't do wheat gluten.

Most celiacs can eat oats, but some can't.. She should ask her doctor if she can.

Celiacs also need to avoid rye, barley, and spelt I believe. They can get a lot of nutrients from pseudo grains like quinoa, amaranth, rice, and corn.

As for soy, she can make veggie burgers and stuff out of lentils and beans. There's other nut milks which are easy to make with a good blender too.

Lots of vegans eat a gluten free, soy free diet. It's hard having a lot of restrictions.. I noticed that eating gluten free can be tough at times.. A mostly raw diet would do her wonders, especially for her diabetes.

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research lately and have come to the decision that I want to become a vegetarian, or at least as close to one as I can get. I know it’s a difficult process one way or the other, but what will make it harder for me is that I have some major limitations, and Steve knowing most of those thought you might be able to give me some suggestions or know where to look for more information. I’m very allergic to Soy and soy products, and recently found out that I have Celiac’s Disease and it actually might be the reason behind most of the medical things I have… so I cant eat Gluten any more either. The hope would be that if I can totally eliminate gluten from my diet, that then some of my food allergies may go away, if that included the soy allergy, that would rock! Cuz then I could actually eat tofu and stuff. Lol… but in the mean time, if you had any idea’s on what I could eat as a protein that wasn’t soy based and would be gluten free ( I was trying out barely – found out it is one of the biggest sources of gluten besides wheat and rye).

So anything you may be able to tell me or if you know websites or books that would be good to look at and read, that would help me… I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I'm vegan and have celiac disease, or at least gluten intolerance of some sort--the tests for celiac disease are kind of expensive so I haven't bothered. There are quite a few grains that are problematic for me and most celiacs--barley (so beer is out), wheat, oats, rye, spelt...but also quite a few that are fine, so as long as you're at home, it's pretty easy. A nice cookbook I recently picked up is The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susan O'Brien. It's also fairly easy to find gluten-free recipes on the Internet, and many cuisines are mostly gluten-free anyway.

It's very important to watch out for processed foods, many of which have hidden gluten-containing ingredients. Most forms of caramel coloring, for example. Be aware of what the ingredients to watch out for and read all labels if you're going to eat processed foods.

Eating out can be a real pain in the ass. Options: Mexican is generally okay, Indian usually works although vegan options can be limited in Indian restaurants, Thai is great, but if you're stuck at a Chinese restaurant, be prepared to douse your steamed, unspiced tofu and vegetables with chili sauce so it isn't totally boring! (You can get wheat-free soy sauce at many stores, but it's rare in Chinese restaurants.) I recently found out that injera (the yummy bread served at Ethiopean restaurants) is usually gluten-free. Not always, though, as my stomach has informed me on some occasions.

I used to have enormous problems with soy, and gave it up for a long time, but recently haven't had many problems on the occasions I've eaten tofu and the like. I don't eat it nearly as much as I used to, though.

Jeff

Thanks!

I'm vegan and have celiac disease, or at least gluten intolerance of some sort--the tests for celiac disease are kind of expensive so I haven't bothered. There are quite a few grains that are problematic for me and most celiacs--barley (so beer is out), wheat, oats, rye, spelt...but also quite a few that are fine, so as long as you're at home, it's pretty easy. A nice cookbook I recently picked up is The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susan O'Brien. It's also fairly easy to find gluten-free recipes on the Internet, and many cuisines are mostly gluten-free anyway.

It's very important to watch out for processed foods, many of which have hidden gluten-containing ingredients. Most forms of caramel coloring, for example. Be aware of what the ingredients to watch out for and read all labels if you're going to eat processed foods.

Eating out can be a real pain in the ass. Options: Mexican is generally okay, Indian usually works although vegan options can be limited in Indian restaurants, Thai is great, but if you're stuck at a Chinese restaurant, be prepared to douse your steamed, unspiced tofu and vegetables with chili sauce so it isn't totally boring! (You can get wheat-free soy sauce at many stores, but it's rare in Chinese restaurants.) I recently found out that injera (the yummy bread served at Ethiopean restaurants) is usually gluten-free. Not always, though, as my stomach has informed me on some occasions.

I used to have enormous problems with soy, and gave it up for a long time, but recently haven't had many problems on the occasions I've eaten tofu and the like. I don't eat it nearly as much as I used to, though.

Jeff