Hey All

racquetball78

Hi all. I am totally new to the vegan way of life. I am in transition so I am still learning as much as I can. Can anyone recommend any good books on a Vegan way of life? I have always been an avid animal lover but it wasn't until I took an ethics class that I realized I had to make a change. I also am trying to become a healthier person. I love working out but not eating right. I signed up for a Vegan online personal trainer so I hope it helps.

Thanks everyone.

Hi all. I am totally new to the vegan way of life. I am in transition so I am still learning as much as I can. Can anyone recommend any good books on a Vegan way of life? I have always been an avid animal lover but it wasn't until I took an ethics class that I realized I had to make a change. I also am trying to become a healthier person. I love working out but not eating right. I signed up for a Vegan online personal trainer so I hope it helps.

Thanks everyone.

I assume from your username that you play racquetball? I used to play a lot, but all of the people I played stopped for one reason or another, so I haven't lately--been getting the itch to get back into it lately, so I'll have to be more diligent about finding partners. Great game!

I wasn't sure what you meant by good books on a vegan way of life? Philosophical? Cookbooks? There are tons of great cookbooks out there--Vegan Planet is one I have that has tons of recipes as well as quite a bit of practical advice on being vegan. Diet For A New America is the book I read that convinced me to become a vegan, but I guess you probably know most of the reasons why people make the switch. There's a thread in these forums under General Discussions about people's favorite books that influenced them that you might want to check out.

Welcome!

Jeff

Welcome! Most of the vegan books I have read are ones about healthy eating. I am assuming this is what you are looking into? I would recommend Eat to Live, or the newer two book set, Eat for Health by Dr. Fuhrman. If you are looking more for a diet focused on pure sport performance, you might want to look into The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier. McDougall's books are also something good to look into. Healthy at 100 by John Robbins is another option.

Like veginator said, check out that thread.

Welcome!

I'm not sure from your post if you are or are not interested in healthy eating (I would assume that you are), so I've listed a very comprehensive book on nutrition and a fun book on being vegan. Both authors also have websites. Forums are great for community, but not always the best place to get nutritional or health advice.

Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World

Vegan Outreach has some good info.

Looking forward to your posts!

Hey welcome! Fellow racquetball player i'd imagine? I loooooooooove racquetball. Play all the time, sometime as much as 5+ times a week though lately i've been laying off the cardio purposely. Where do you play? There's 5 courts at my gym and always a game. One of my fav sports. I would love a game if we were close by.

Books..... hmmm well I read

healing with whole foods' by paul pitchford and that convinced me to go vegan but it isn't realy like a 'propaganda' type approach. Just made sense.

They recommended a vegan lifestyle and said even if you don't and you choose to consume meat, that it should be like a condiment sprinkled on your food (kind of like the fried rice in chinese take outs) as opposed to the main course). That did not scasre me away and left me open to transitioning on my own as it just felt natural.

Others are prob better here at recommending good vegan transition books. The ones I have read are more along the lines of a raw food diet transition

looking forward to your posts! enjoy