Jeff's training blog: 3 months, 30 pounds lost!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your doing really well. It's great to check in on your journal and see your results.

Thanks. I'm managing to get in enough tough workouts to maintain the shape I've been in the last few months, but haven't had enough free time to work out as regularly as I was last summer. But my schedule will be freer in a couple of weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Thursday: Just 1/2 hour of racquetball, 2 games. Things were a little busy.

Friday: Rode my bike 23 miles. Took it easy most of the time: average HR 115, max about 155.

Saturday: Ran 4 miles in just over 40 minutes. Average HR 138, max about 155.

Today: 5 games of racquetball, about an hour and a half of total workout time.

Thursday: played an hour and a half of soccer tennis (same rules as tennis except we allow 2 bounces) with my son. Lost 6-4 6-4, I think. Later I went and played 5 games of racquetball.

Saturday: Biked 15.5 miles in 61:25. Average HR 137, max. 165.

Today (Monday) was the longest workout day I've had in months. Biked 23.7 miles in 1 hr. 52 min. Average HR 137, max. 165. Played racquetball for a little under an hour and a half later in the day. This time, I wore my heart rate monitor. Average HR 134, max. 163.

Wednesday: practiced racquetball for about 45 minutes and lifted for about 20 minutes, just one set of several things.

Thursday June 11: played racquetball for almost two hours. My shoulder has been seriously sore lately, so being out of town the next few days and not being able to play is probably a good thing.

Today: ran about 5 miles, approx. 10 min. miles. I wore my heart rate monitor, but I left it on for 5 minutes while I was still getting ready, so my best guess about average HR is about 135-ish, Peak was only 155 even keeping the same pace going up hills, so I must be getting in shape.

Went for a 1 1/2 hour hike on Sunday. Monday I played 8 games of racquetball as well as biking to and from the gym, about a 4-mile round trip. Aside from riding my bike on short errands, unfortunately I haven't had time for any other exercise the last few days. I'm hoping to get in another intense racquetball session tomorrow.

Played about an hour of racquetball with my son Friday. Not very much of a workout, since he's still just a beginner at racquetball, but better than sitting on my ass. Yesterday I hiked for an hour with my dogs, then later went to the gym and practiced racquetball for about an hour, did the elliptical machine for 20 minutes, and lifted for about half an hour.

Biked for about 15 miles Monday afternoon. I hit the wrong button on my heart rate monitor so the data weren't saved, but I wasn't pushing too hard because I knew I'd be playing racquetball in the evening. While biking over to the gym for racquetball, I had a flat tire & didn't have a spare tube with me, so I had to walk home from the gym after racquetball and pick up my bike later. Between about 2 hours of racquetball and a combined 2 1/2 hours or so of biking and walking, it was a pretty good day's workout.

Wednesday I ran several errands on my bike, maybe 10 miles total.

Thursday I played 7 games of racquetball, over 2 hours total, and rode my bike to and from the gym (a little over 5 miles round trip).

Friday I went for about an hour hike with the dogs.

Monday: Ran several errands on my bike, about 10 miles total. Practiced racquetball for half an hour, did the elliptical machine for a few minutes, then played two games of racquetball. Had to leave early to take my dog to an agility training class. So all in all I got in around 2 hours of exercise.

Tuesday: Biked 25 miles. Average HR 127, max 160. Hiked by the lake with the dogs for almost 2 hours, and walked another 15 minutes or so besides that. Overall about 4 hours worth of exercise, half of it intense.

Longest cumulative exercise time of the summer. Walked the dogs for about 15 minutes in the morning, then went to the gym to lift and do the elliptical machine. Did about half an hour of weight training and an hour on the elliptical machine, and to and from the gym is about 35 minutes round trip by bike. I forget what my monitor said, but I think the average HR for the elliptical session was just under 130. Then, I did a 2-hour (around 23 miles) bike ride, with an average heart rate of a shade under 120.

Hiked with the dogs for an hour in the morning, and played two hours of racquetball in the afternoon. Just out of curiosity, I wore my heart rate monitor while I was walking with the dogs. Average HR was 96, a far cry from running or biking or racquetball but definitely a lot more of a workout than sitting on my ass.

47-mile, 4-hour bike ride this morning, my longest of the season. Various parts started hurting on the way back, so overall I didn't push much this ride, probably an average HR of just a bit under 115. Went on about an hour 45 min. hike with the dogs later in the day. So all in all, by far the longest exercise session of the year.

Saturday: Practiced racquetball for about an hour and did a little elliptical machine and a little on the exercise bike, for a total of about 2 hours aerobic exercise. Worked out arms, shoulders and chest for about 20 minutes.

Sunday: Went for a 3-hour hike with the dogs in the morning, and this afternoon I went on a 25-mile bike ride. Didn't push very hard; average HR was about 114. For good measure, I threw in a 4 1/2 mile run late in the evening. Pretty slow pace, did it in about 50 minutes, and average HR was 133 with a high of 155. Fortunately, my Achilles-area pain that I've had off and on for over a year now was pretty insignificant and sporadic, so maybe it's doing well enough that running--the activity that is most likely to make it hurt--will be okay to do regularly now as long as I don't overdo it. All in all, nearly 6 hours of exercise today. I'm afraid to look at the scales yet, but surely I will have finally lost significant weight when I get around to doing so!

The bike ride was kind of interesting today because about 1/3 of the way through I encountered a snake coiled up in the middle of the road. It looked pretty sedated and didn't appear to be one of the poisonous types, so I picked it up and moved it off of the road. Hopefully it didn't go back!

Monday: Did two separate runs (3.8 and 5.4 miles) totaling 9.2 miles. Aside from stopping briefly to talk to two friends that I happened to run into on the second run, I managed to keep a pace just a tad slower than 10 minutes per mile. Average heart rate was 140 for the first run and 133 for the second. Later I walked the dogs for an hour, then played an hour and a half of racquetball. So, all in all more than 4 hours of exercise yesterday, all but one hour of it intense.

Still pretty sporadic with the weights, just a few sets of this or that here and there. Losing fat is the priority. It sucks having a low metabolism! Damn middle age!

Wednesday--I honestly don't remember exactly how much exercise I did, but I think it was about half an hour of racquetball practice, 15 minutes of the elliptical machine, and an upper body workout.

Thursday--did two 5k runs at maybe 11 minute miles, and played 2 games of racquetball.

Drove to Philadelphia for a vegan gathering Friday, so no exercise. Saturday, went for a 2-hour bike ride along the river in Philly. This is a great place for bike rides! Also did 15 minutes on the elliptical machine and ran a few flights of stairs, and did an upper body workout with the dumbbells they had in the hotel fitness center.

Sunday: half an hour on the elliptical machine, and climbed several flights of stairs.

Monday: hiked with the dogs for an hour and a half. Played two games of racquetball.

Weight this morning was at exactly 170, a couple of pounds lower than it was at this time last year during my big summer workout binge and around 5 pounds less than at the beginning of the month. Definitely thought I'd be closer than this to my goal weight of around 150 by now, but hey, it's progress and I'll take it.

Got a little lazy on documenting things the last few days so I may get a few details wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, here's what I did the remainder of the week.

Wednesday: ran about 4 miles at a little over 10 minutes/mile.

Thursday: ran around 4 miles, same pace as above, and played an hour and a half of racquetball.

Friday: no exercise, was driving to visit relatives in Chattanooga.

Saturday: two walks of about 45 minutes each.

Sunday: about an hour and a half hike in a very steep canyon, Cloudland Canyon State Park.

Other than eating out a couple of times, I've been following the Eat To Live diet this week. I'm going to wait and weigh myself and check progress when I'm pretty sure I'm well under 170.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday Aug. 3: about an hour and a half walk with the dogs.

Tues. Aug. 4: the same, and also ran for about half an hour, relatively slow pace.

Wed. Aug. 5: ran for about an hour in some pretty hilly terrain in intense heat. Average HR was 135 with highs consistently in the 160s (max 169) going up the hills.

Thur. Aug. 6: ran for half an hour.

Sat. Aug. 8: back home, hiked for half an hour...and broke my wrist! This was after a flat tire on my car when I got back in town Thursday, and a clogged kitchen sink as well. Rough weekend! Fortunately, the X-ray showed that the radius wasn't broken all the way through, there was no displacement, and the ulna is fine. I'll just have to wear a cast for 6 weeks and then I should be okay.

Mon. Aug. 10: did an hour on the elliptical machine, average HR 130.

I'm planning on doing a 5k on Sept. 12, although I'll still be in a cast at the time. Hopefully it won't rain!

Edited by veginator

Tues. Aug. 11: 60 minutes on the elliptical machine, 15 on stationary bike.

Thur. Aug. 13: 70 minutes on elliptical.

Weight is down to 168 (including a few ounces of cast). Lagging a couple of pounds behind last summer's weight loss, but at least I've got an excuse for that!