Jeff's training blog: 3 months, 30 pounds lost!

Weight this morning was 163.6.

Did 35 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym, 20 of it intervals. Did 5 intervals, with 4 of them hitting above 160 on HR and one of them in the 150s. Average HR was 131. Did squats and other leg exercises. Did 8 reps of 160, 2 sets, on the squats.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight this morning: 161.8. Not sure why it was so low, as I actually felt a little bloated. I'm guessing it will be higher tomorrow. No exercise today, due to a heavy workload and constant thunderstorms during the time when I'd planned on it.

Weight this morning: 162.

I went to the sports medicine doc yesterday for some interesting new treatment for my foot that he's recently received training in. Involved a lot of unusual stretching & massage, as well as me wearing this weird athletic tape that goes all the way up my calf that's supposed to stretch out the tarsal tunnel. He recommended that I up the running mileage a bit to see how my foot coped with it, and I followed his recommendation! It's been a couple of weeks since my last long run, so I decided to see if I could go half-marathon distance today. I ran 13.2 miles (plus walking a few hundred feet to the water fountain a few times) in 2:48. Heart rate monitor was being a little weird because I didn't have the chest strap on tight enough so I don't have a very accurate HR, but I think it was somewhere in the 130s.

Edited by veginator

Good workouts going on here!

I am in awe of your low HR. Even when I run slowly and it feels easy to me my average HR is still around 160. Which I can't figure out. It doesn't feel like I'm exerting myself all that much and I'm not winded when I finish or anything like that. I'm not really sure if that's a sign of something or not.

Good workouts going on here!

I am in awe of your low HR. Even when I run slowly and it feels easy to me my average HR is still around 160. Which I can't figure out. It doesn't feel like I'm exerting myself all that much and I'm not winded when I finish or anything like that. I'm not really sure if that's a sign of something or not.

There's a lot of genetic as well as age-related variation in heart rate & it doesn't really mean much. Generally older people have slower maximum heart rates, though not by nearly as much as the standard and highly inaccurate 220-age formula for maximum heart rate predicts, and even people the same age in the same condition can have pretty different maximum heart rates. So for all we know 160 could be the same percentage of your maximum heart rate as 135 is for me. My max is about 180.

Hmm, interesting - thanks! Maybe someday when I have nothing better to spend my money on I will get my HR tested.

There's a pretty cheap way to do it: 1) run your ass off up a big hill until you're totally out of breath; 2) keep on running until you nearly pass out; 3) look at your HR monitor.

No exercise Saturday due to being busy traveling to my son's soccer tournament in Ohio.

Sunday: Did about half an hour of upper body work at the "gym" in our hotel. Still sore from Friday's long run.

Today: Still a teeny bit sore. Played basketball for about an hour with my son, then later I ran 3.6 miles at a very leisurely pace. Time: 46:53, HR: 118.

Ran 5.2 miles in 53:37. The first and last miles were warmup and cooldown miles at a slow pace, while the middle 3.2 were a tempo run at a pretty good pace, trying to get ready for this weekend's 5k. Did it in 28:19 with average HR somewhere around 150. Did a little kick the last half mile or so of it where I got my HR up to 174.

Tonight I ran another 3.6 miles in 45 minutes and some-odd seconds (too lazy to go get the watch right now), average HR 120. Just wanted to get in a second workout today to help the weight loss along.

Still slightly sore from my workout Sunday, so just did a couple of sets of shoulder presses and a set of flat bench presses. More tomorrow, perhaps.

25 minutes on the elliptical machine; 8 minutes warmup and the rest intervals, about 1 1/2-2 minutes followed by a couple minutes cooldown. Did 4 intervals, with the last one reaching a peak HR of 167. Average was about 130; not sure because I forgot to shut my watch off for 3 minutes.

Did a little bit of rowing before this just to do something for upper body endurance, but I couldn't get my HR above 110-115 or so and my average was down around 105, so I quit after about 12 minutes.

Ran short on time so I didn't get to lift much, just did a couple of sets of flat bench presses. 4 x 115, back started cramping on the 4th rep so I stopped. Then did 6 reps of 105.

My new Garmin GPS/HR Monitor just arrived. Can't wait to try it out!

Ran 4.39 miles in 42:10, average HR 142, max HR 157, pace 9:37/mile.

It's great to have all this data (and more). One thing I don't like: the heart rate readout is WAY TOO SMALL! I can't even read it during a run unless I stop and squint, unless of course I brought my glasses along for the run. Poor display design!

Later, after actually reading the relevant part of the manual: Well, I figured out that you can customize the display, including how many and what pieces of information are displayed. Never mind; I love this thing! Woo hoo for new toys.

Weight this morning: 161.8. I wasn't feeling famished when I woke up, so maybe I've actually lost a teeny bit of weight from a week ago when the scale said the same thing?

Right hamstring was a little sore today and legs in general just weren't very fresh. I ran an extremely slow 5 miles, 59:54 with an average HR of 122 and max of 136.

What type of Garmin do you have? I have a 305 and the sheer amount of data it can produce amazes me. I don't use it anywhere near it's full capabilities - still learning about all of the different functions. My inner geek wants to start doing data analysis in SPSS or something.

Weight this morning: 159.8. Not sure why it's suddenly lower. It's not like I've been doing a whole lot the last couple of days. In any case, at least until after breakfast I've broken 160. Yay me! Another 20 pounds or so and I'll be where I need to be to be competitive in my age group in 5k races.

Ran a 5k race this morning; time was 24:51. Pace was 8:01 per mile, and average HR was 159 with max of 168. My asthma was bugging me some the last half or so of the race, so I didn't push quite as hard as I might have otherwise. I guess I need a new inhaler. Kind of disappointing I didn't significantly improve over my time 2 weeks ago. However, it was a hillier course, and 3.6 seconds is better than no improvement.

Edited by veginator

What type of Garmin do you have? I have a 305 and the sheer amount of data it can produce amazes me. I don't use it anywhere near it's full capabilities - still learning about all of the different functions. My inner geek wants to start doing data analysis in SPSS or something.

305. Yeah, it's a geek's dream come true even if I never use all its functions. It was cool to know that as I was sprinting to the finish line the last little bit of the race I hit 16 mph. Didn't know I could run that fast. I'm sure there's probably somebody out there who's figured out how to get it to run Linux, if it doesn't already. I had a heart rate monitor already that worked perfectly fine, which I guess I'll give to my son, but I just "had" to have one.

Weight hovering around 160-161.

Today I decided to see how far I could go at near-5k pace. Went 5 miles in 43:09, a pace of 8:38/mile, with average HR of 154 and max of 168. At that point I was about 4 miles from home, so took about a 1 mile walk break, then ran 3 miles in 30:17, average HR 141 and max 157.

Weight this morning: 162. Looks like I'm on a low-160s plateau right now.

6.2 miles in 57:19, pace 9:14, average HR 150, max HR 161. Included in the time was about a 5-minute water break halfway through, so the pace while I was actually running was faster.

After another water break, I ran the last 1.02 miles home in 10:18, average HR 147 and max 158.

Weight this morning: 160.8. Yesterday was 160.6, so if the pattern holds tomorrow I guess I can safely say I'm under 161 for now.

Ran 6.2 miles (10k) in 58:54, average HR 137, max 157, pace 9:30/mile. Took about a 2 minute water break halfway through, and stopped my watch so that it would record the actual amount of time I was running. 5k race is tomorrow; my son and I are both running in it, so hopefully I can beat him this time! My goal time for tomorrow is 24 minutes.

5k race time was approximately 23:51.4, about a minute faster than last week's. The course wasn't as hilly, but I was definitely in better condition this time as well. Pace: 7:41/mile. Average HR: 160, max of 172. My son beat me by 30 seconds, but at least I'm closing the gap!

Later in the day, I ran 10k (just for practice, not a race) in 61:36, a 9:56/mile pace. Average HR 141, max 166. I took about a 3 minute water break about halfway through; stopped my watch during that time.

Edited by veginator

Weight this morning: 160.6.

Biked 21.43 miles in 1:33:51, average speed 13.7, avg. HR 108, max. HR 132.

Then, after about a 15-minute water break, I ran 6.2 miles in 1:06:52, pace 10:47/mile, avg. HR 131, max. 162. Wanted to get in the equivalent of about a half-marathon worth of exercise but without pounding my legs for 13 miles.

Running mileage for the week: 39.97. Biked 21.43.

Weight this morning: 158.4. How much of the 2-pound plus drop is water and glycogen I haven't fully replaced (despite drinking huge quantities of water and having eaten a normal meal) and how much is fat loss, I guess I'll find out over the next couple of days.

Weight this morning: 160.2. Ate dinner pretty late last night, so I don't think that's an empty-stomach weight.

Ran 3 miles in 29:17, pace 9:45/mile, avg HR 132, max 145.

This evening, ran 3.53 miles in 33:18, pace 9:26/mile, avg HR 135, max 156.

Edited by veginator