Eggs

Vamprilla

Ok, I'm not someone who likes eggs. Especially if they're scrambled. But they are hard to avoid. They're in bread, cakes, and other things. I was wondering who considered them vegan and who didn't. Some say they're not meat because it's an unfertalized egg so they would eat them. Some say they are meat because it's still from a chicken. And at the same time, it's not a dairy product. (Obviously, 'cause dairy mostly comes from cows but I hope you get what I mean.) And this is excluding battery eggs. We all know those suck! because of the treatment the chickens go through.

Hi Vampy

No one considers eggs vegan, at least no one who knows what veganism is

Vegetarian, yes, ovo-lacto-vegetarian means eggs and milk vegetarian. I don't consider eggs meat, but they're an animal product, which makes consuming them unvegan.

So what is your question?

Avoiding industrial food with eggs in it has (in addition to the animal rights and ethical reasons) the benefit that these foods are usually very unhealthy

It might seem hard at first but after a while it really gets natural for you.

Ok, maybe I did mean vegitarian. Sorry. (Kourtney is what we call special.) I was at a friends house a while ago for her b-day and her dad had made dinner and had seperated the chicken from the rice dish for me, but he had put eggs in with the rice. My friend told me it had eggs in it right before we were about to eat and said "it's ok, it's not meat." I was like um, yes it is. Or at least close enough to it that I want to avoid it.

Yeah, eggs aren't meat, but they definitely aren't vegan. They aren't fertilized, so there is no chicken present. But, who wants to eat chicken menstruation?

So many people still think that fish is vegetarian. They will argue "it's not meat". Like Aaron said, don't expect people to understand what vegetarian or vegan means. Be specific and tell them what you will and will not eat.

But, who wants to eat chicken menstruation?

Hahaha, I like that

Ok, I'm not someone who likes eggs. Especially if they're scrambled. But they are hard to avoid. They're in bread, cakes, and other things.

It is rather strange to have bread with eggs. Normally bread should be without them, especially if you buy it at an organic store, but I don't know how it is in the US. In The Netherlands we have a wide range of egg and milk free grain products in organic stores.

Ok, I'm not someone who likes eggs. Especially if they're scrambled. But they are hard to avoid. They're in bread, cakes, and other things.

It is rather strange to have bread with eggs. Normally bread should be without them, especially if you buy it at an organic store, but I don't know how it is in the US. In The Netherlands we have a wide range of egg and milk free grain products in organic stores.

Nobbi, bread almost never has eggs in the US. However, it is a common misperception. Many people here for some unknown reason think that bread has eggs in it.

I guess people are just so far removed from food production and preparation that they have no idea what they are eating.

My thoughts on eggs.

They are definitely not vegan. I think that they are much like wool, for the fact that at a glance they would seem harmless, and there for ok. By that I mean, chickens lay eggs, it’s they do. And although chickens have been genetically manipulated for centuries to produce more egg then wild hens humans can not prevent them from laying eggs. So why not eat them? You really hit it when you brought up battery eggs. For me that is the only reason I don’t eat them. I think in an ideal environment it would be ok. I often think about having my own land and keeping a few chickens. In Portland it is legal to have up to three hens. I know that someone is going to argue with me on this and say that keeping an animal for your own benefit is exploiting the animal, but that is not what I conceder this. As long as the chickens could run around and have shelter and wholesome food (not full of growth hormones) then I don’t think it’s wrong. When people rely on animals for their income then the animals’ welfare are no longer the priority and that is wrong!

Before I knew what an egg really was, I loved eggs.

Just so vamp doesnt think that Michael was joking:

the contents of an egg is indeed the menstrual waste of a hen. Interesting how that minor detail isnt mentioned in egg commercials. I dont know about you, but I personally do not see the appeal in eating menstrual waste. In fact, it is ing and the thought of it makes me want to vomit.

(Obviously, 'cause dairy mostly comes from cows but I hope you get what I mean.) .

Isn't dairy exclusively from cows? Or would it include for instance, sheep and goat milk too? Hmm, hadn't considered this previously....

Eggs are decidely not vegan.

I think eggs are gross. Always have. My parents used to get so annoyed with me when I was little because I loved dying easter eggs but then I refused to eat them.

I like scrambled tofu though

yes scambled tofu is a Godsend to those of us who miss scrambled eggs (which I know you dont ).

Basically I take a lil olive oil and saute some green onions and mushrooms. Then I take silken tofu and crumble it into the frying pan. Then I put a LIL bit of tumeric so the tofu takes on a slightly yellow colour. First time users of tumeric: just a DASH Of this stuff is enough -- more than that and it becomes bitter tasting -- yuck.

Anyway, back to the recipe. SO just mix it all up in the frying pan, and salt and pepper to taste.

End results looks like scrambled eggs. It doesnt really taste like eggs -- but it is still really good. vamp, you should try this recipe. You will like it I am sure.

peace

yes scambled tofu is a Godsend to those of us who miss scrambled eggs (which I know you dont ).

Basically I take a lil olive oil and saute some green onions and mushrooms. Then I take silken tofu and crumble it into the frying pan. Then I put a LIL bit of tumeric so the tofu takes on a slightly yellow colour. First time users of tumeric: just a DASH Of this stuff is enough -- more than that and it becomes bitter tasting -- yuck.

Anyway, back to the recipe. SO just mix it all up in the frying pan, and salt and pepper to taste.

End results looks like scrambled eggs. It doesnt really taste like eggs -- but it is still really good. vamp, you should try this recipe. You will like it I am sure.

peace

Turmeric = yum. And cumin. Two of my favorite spices for sure!

I like my tofu scrambles with spinach also. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

Thanks SeaSiren, that's what I was thinking but I'd always just associated dairy with cow, so I wasn't totally sure!

What? No nutritional yeast in your tofu scrambles? What kind of people are you?

Is this an important ingredient for a tofu scramble? What does it add in terms of flavour or consistency? Tell me tell me -- an improved tofu scramble is always welcome!!!!

What? No nutritional yeast in your tofu scrambles? What kind of people are you?

Is this an important ingredient for a tofu scramble? What does it add in terms of flavour or consistency? Tell me tell me -- an improved tofu scramble is always welcome!!!!

OH MY!!! Have you not had nutritional yeast? You poor deprived vegan!

It adds a nice nutty/cheesey flavor and soaks up any excess oil and sticks it to the tofu.

So what do you do -- do you just sprinkle it into all your tofu dishes? How much? Details please details.

It is such a personal matter! Some are satisfied with a tablespoon, others like myself prefer say 1/2 cup.

A good place to start is Tyler's mac n yeast recipe I posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=936

And if you don't have The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook? I'm not sure why any vegan wouldn't have it. There is an entire chapter on nutritional yeast!!! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0913990604/vegetariancoo-20/104-3984816-2865518

The Farm was after all the most successful vegan commune in history. www.thefarm.org

I like to make quesadillas with nutritional yeast cheese. There is a fake chicken paddy at foodfight (I don’t remember the name but it rocks!!!) I cook up one of those with some taco seasoning. Mix up some cheese in a bowl, and spread it on some tortillas. Cut up the chicken and add it to the tortillas along with a spoon full of salsa and cook then in a pan until lightly browned.

NUTRITIONAL YEAST ROCKS!!!

Wow -- I had no idea that nutritional yeast was that appetizing. WHo would have thought that "yeast" was such an essential ingredient. Not I obviously.

All this time I have been missing parm cheese sprinkles too. For nothing.

You mean the vegan parmesan cheese made by Soymage? That stuff is good

Wow -- I had no idea that nutritional yeast was that appetizing. WHo would have thought that "yeast" was such an essential ingredient. Not I obviously.

All this time I have been missing parm cheese sprinkles too. For nothing.

You mean the vegan parmesan cheese made by Soymage? That stuff is good

no, i meant since you said the yeast tastes like parm cheese -- which I loved. had i known that the nutritional yeast added a "cheesiness" to recipes, i would have bought some a long time ago.