Eggs

Vamprilla

Wow -- I had no idea that nutritional yeast was that appetizing. WHo would have thought that "yeast" was such an essential ingredient. Not I obviously.

All this time I have been missing parm cheese sprinkles too. For nothing.

You mean the vegan parmesan cheese made by Soymage? That stuff is good

no, i meant since you said the yeast tastes like parm cheese -- which I loved. had i known that the nutritional yeast added a "cheesiness" to recipes, i would have bought some a long time ago.

Topher and I use nutritional yeast to make a pretty decent vegan 'mac and cheese'. Super cheap, easy, and delicious Nutritional yeast is really cheap, we buy it in bulk and it barely costs anything.

I am like michaelhobson, I eat nutritional yeast by the half cup (or sometimes cup). I like putting lots of it on steamed broccoli. I also love the mac and cheese, it is so delicious, I frequently make a huge batch with a pound of pasta and eat the whole thing throughout one day. I have also made a variation with peas and tuno.

Vamp, people can tell you what is and isn't vegetarian or vegan until they're blue in the face. In my opinion it doesn't matter. Decide why you are vegetarian or vegan, and that will determine what you want to eat. The dictionary is not the place to look for morals. If you think eating eggs is morally wrong, stop eating them. My problems with eggs are:

- Chickens are kept in captivity

- Egg farming is linked with slaughter; male chickens often (usually) killed straight away because there is no use for them.

- Chickens have been bred / engineered to make far more eggs than their bodies are naturally equipped to make.

- They're not allowed to have sex - they're cut off from males altogether to avoid fertilization. While necessary in the industry, it is just another thing that shows how shitty the chickens lives are.

- You can't get consent from the chickens to take their eggs

If you personally don't care about those things, continue to eat eggs. Don't worry about if you're vegetarian or vegan, just do what you think is right. Or, perhaps ask me what to do and I'll tell you because I'm awesome and people could really stand to be a bit more like me in general.

- Egg farming is linked with slaughter; male chickens often (usually) killed straight away because there is no use for them.

- Chickens have been bred / engineered to make far more eggs than their bodies are naturally equipped to make.

- They're not allowed to have sex - they're cut off from males altogether to avoid fertilization. While necessary in the industry, it is just another thing that shows how shitty the chickens lives are.

Yup, 100% true facts indeed. Clearly, therefore, eggs are unethical for a number of reasons.

Vamp, people can tell you what is and isn't vegetarian or vegan until they're blue in the face. In my opinion it doesn't matter. Decide why you are vegetarian or vegan, and that will determine what you want to eat. The dictionary is not the place to look for morals. If you think eating eggs is morally wrong, stop eating them.

Well put Richard! I wish I were this eloquent!

Indeed, then, I have been a DEPRIVED vegan. But no longer my friends, no longer!!!! It is now on the top of my shopping list!!!

So what do you do -- do you just sprinkle it into all your tofu dishes? How much? Details please details.

and THANKS

The Uncheese Cookbook has something called "All Season Blend." It's a blend of nutritional yeast, garlic & onion granules & spices. It's great! I use it wherever NY is called for. Really yummy sprinkled on top of baked spuds, popcorn & so many things! Even used it in my pizza dough a few weeks ago when making Vegan Madre's white sauce pizza.

Will I be in violation of copyright rules if I post it here?

Before I knew what an egg really was, I loved eggs.

Just so vamp doesnt think that Michael was joking:

the contents of an egg is indeed the menstrual waste of a hen. Interesting how that minor detail isnt mentioned in egg commercials. I dont know about you, but I personally do not see the appeal in eating menstrual waste. In fact, it is ing and the thought of it makes me want to vomit.

I know it's the chickins menstral waste. part of the reason I don't eat them. That and they taste gross.

Vamp, people can tell you what is and isn't vegetarian or vegan until they're blue in the face. In my opinion it doesn't matter. Decide why you are vegetarian or vegan, and that will determine what you want to eat. The dictionary is not the place to look for morals. If you think eating eggs is morally wrong, stop eating them. My problems with eggs are:

If you personally don't care about those things, continue to eat eggs. Don't worry about if you're vegetarian or vegan, just do what you think is right. Or, perhaps ask me what to do and I'll tell you because I'm awesome and people could really stand to be a bit more like me in general.

All of those things is why I won't eat eggs. But it can be hard to avoid them. and that's one of the questions I was asking. How do you avoid them? And I don't mean just not crack them open on a frying pan and eat them. I know how to avoid that.

You don't put them in your mouth. Find the end goal and go there, let the middle handle itself. Read ingredients, if it has eggs pass on it. If you see eggs in something, or someone says something has eggs, pass on it. If you accidentally ingest eggs - then that's what happens.

Let the destination shape the path, not the other way around.

You don't put them in your mouth. Find the end goal and go there, let the middle handle itself. Read ingredients, if it has eggs pass on it. If you see eggs in something, or someone says something has eggs, pass on it. If you accidentally ingest eggs - then that's what happens.

Let the destination shape the path, not the other way around.

So I already stole the thing you said about the 6billion people on earth, but can I also steal this?

I love it. So true, and so simple.

You are a wealth of wise one-liners.

I have a similar saying which is that your morals should determine how you live; how you live shouldn't determine your morals

Yeah Vamp, I am not sure what difficulty you are having with regards to avoiding eggs. Like Aaron says, if you know something has eggs in it, you just don't eat it. Are you asking about what you can eat instead? What are the things you'd be cutting out, maybe we can give you suggestions on what you could replace them with

• 3 months later...
the contents of an egg is indeed the menstrual waste of a hen

Yeah, this is true, but a fruit is the reproductive organ of the plant it came from. My 9th grade biology teacher, used to love to get us riled up by telling us that every time we eat a banana or an apple that we're eating the tree's ovaries. You can make anything "seem" gross or unappealing.

I eat veggies because they're healthy, not because they are (or are not) any part of any reproductive system. Little known fact: most veggies are grown right out of the dirt on the ground! Yes, the very mud you rake off you feet is the birth place, the womb if you will, of your carrots and tomatoes. Nasty, I know.