Amylocel (Waxy Maize Starch)

Troy

Reviews? Opinions?

I might add a refined carb source to my daily regimin, most likely post workout. I've read nothing but good things on bodybuilding forums about Amylocel, a deritive of natural corn starch. Wondering what some of your thoughts are?

Yeah, over the past year I have kept an eye on it. Its fairly new so I am always skeptical. Unlike the NO products that forum users report positive, neutral, and negative results, I can only seem to find positive reviews. I'm reading quite a few reviews of long time bodybuilders that have been using a postworkout of Malto/Dex for years and now switching to WMS because overall they are getting better results. It seems to be vegan from as far as I can tell, doesn't cause bloating, empties the stomach quickly, and is quickly absorbed in the small intestine. I feel the rest of my diet is well rounded and full of micronutrients so adding some refined carb source that might help my goals isn't the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to "feel" better than the fruit smooths I use to consume post workout, although I usually don't make too many judgment calls until after a month or so. I'll update more once I've been using it for about a month or so...

Yeah, over the past year I have kept an eye on it. Its fairly new so I am always skeptical. Unlike the NO products that forum users report positive, neutral, and negative results, I can only seem to find positive reviews. I'm reading quite a few reviews of long time bodybuilders that have been using a postworkout of Malto/Dex for years and now switching to WMS because overall they are getting better results. It seems to be vegan from as far as I can tell, doesn't cause bloating, empties the stomach quickly, and is quickly absorbed in the small intestine. I feel the rest of my diet is well rounded and full of micronutrients so adding some refined carb source that might help my goals isn't the end of the world.

Certainly the metabolism science is clear that the shorter the sugar chains, the more De Novo Lipogenesis (see this study for example).

"Human fatty acid synthesis is reduced after the substitution of dietary starch for sugar." Hudgins et al.

Maltodextrin is mostly glucose polymers, so replacing those kcal with starch will definitely improve results (I will soon post on my blog about complex versus simple sugars). But I doubt using a particular expensive brand of starch is necessary.

• 2 months later...

i was wondering what people think about using potato flour from the store, it's the same thing as potato starch. A 28 gram serving has 23 grams of carbs, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Would the carbs flow straight to the intestines like they do with WMS? is potato starch even the same long chain carb?

Why don't you just try it? See if it works for you.

It will work if you can work out long and hard enough to get to exhaustive failure, and need to reboot with fast acting carbs. You will either get a nice pump up the next day, or you will be flat and retain water (and fluid retention doesn't have to start the next day. I know with me it can be just hours after the workout due to insufficient digestibility). After awhile you will also see an increase in weight gain, and it will either be from bodyfat or muscle mass.

Have fun experimenting!

So Troy how is the wms working for you?

Been doing WMS (90g), BCAAs (<10g), and creatine(<5g). As far as post workout nutrition I think this would be the best combination of nutrients. Quick digesting carbs, BCAAs don't need to be broken down so uptake is the quickest possible, along with creatine, my call for the best strictly muscle supplement, all gets shuttled to the muscle in quickest manner reasonably possible. I think the only downside to PWO theories, in that spiking insulin levels has been a factor that leads to the big D. Anyways, no complaints here, claims are correct from as far as I can tell, it very quickly empties the stomach, no bloating. One advantage to this is that by emptying the stomach quickly, I then can shorten the time between my next meal, which is a fruit and gemma smoothie. Give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Im experiencing some weird effects on WMS. Wondering if anyone else is as well..

Before WMS: i had a huge appetite after lifting heavy and used to gulp down my protein shake and still be hungry for more food.

Since i started using WMS: (been on it for the past few weeks) immediately post WMS i become very full. 30 -45 mins after, when its time for the protein, i find it hard to drink the same quantity i had no trouble with before.

I have read that it 'empties the stomach'. i experience no such thing.

i started with 35 grams and increased to about 50.

Appreciate any info/advice...

Im experiencing some weird effects on WMS. Wondering if anyone else is as well..

Before WMS: i had a huge appetite after lifting heavy and used to gulp down my protein shake and still be hungry for more food.

Since i started using WMS: (been on it for the past few weeks) immediately post WMS i become very full. 30 -45 mins after, when its time for the protein, i find it hard to drink the same quantity i had no trouble with before.

I think that's normal. It quickly replenishes blood sugar so you are no longer craving food right after you have it.

Unlike actual sugar, it doesn't spike insulin, so you also don't have the blood sugar crash 45 mins later.

I feel the same thing. I'm amazed at how well wms helps my muscles recover and without the jitters I used to get with dextrose.

I think that's normal. It quickly replenishes blood sugar so you are no longer craving food right after you have it.

Unlike actual sugar, it doesn't spike insulin, so you also don't have the blood sugar crash 45 mins later.

I feel the same thing. I'm amazed at how well wms helps my muscles recover and without the jitters I used to get with dextrose.

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply. in fact, it was so quick that im still shaking from my workout (which was 2 hrs ago ! )

Have you seen any visible results since you started taking it? My mass fluctuates in the same range so im not entirely sure if i added muscle (though that would take more than a few weeks). I dont feel enervated and sleepy post workout as before though. But from all the hype, im not sure what to realistically expect!

I've been away from the gym for a while. New job and new baby. I've done some lifting at home, tried the WMS afterwards, and liked the immediate feeling. But I haven't been working out consistently to be able to see any visible longer-term boost from the WMS yet.

I do about 80-90 grams of WMS and have no problem putting down a protein smoothy 30 minutes later. I feel full for about 10 minutes and then I feel like I need something more solid in my stomach.

Troy:

Have you always taken 80-90 grams? Ive read so many differing opinions on dosages that i'm quite unsure how much i should go with. Right now i weigh about 148 lbs and take 50 grams of WMS. From what i understand, the dosage should depend on the extent to which you deplete your glycogen reserves. So my question is, do you feel an added benefit when you take 90 grams or does it plateau off after a certain amount?