Eating Clean - What does it mean to you?

I'm not sure if such a post has been done before but I was at the bookstore the other day and came across "Eating Clean" by Tosca Reno (Oxygen Magazine) and wondered how the vegan ideal of eating clean differs from that of an omni.

So my questions are these:

1. What do you consider eating clean? What do you avoid? What do you get a lot of?

2. What percentage of the time do you think you eat clean?

3. What is your actual goal?

My answers would be:

1. Avoiding processed foods of any kind, anything fried, restaurant food in general and vegan junk food. I try to get a lot of greens, whole grains, beans, vegetables and other foods prepared at home.

2. Recently, I'd say I've been eating clean 70% of the time.

3. My goal is to get eat clean at least 80% of the time.

I think you gave a perfect example of eating clean. For me, it definitely includes eating a wide variety of local, seasonal foods.

When I'm not entertaining, I'm in the 80-90% range. When we have guests or we're traveling then the range could be anywhere! Unfortunately (not really), we have a lot of guests!

I'm happy with where I am right now.

Strict clean?

1. No sugars (except from fruits, molasses, and fruit purees)

2. No 'white' anything (white bread, rice, pasta, flour, etc.)

3. No refined oils (canola, veggie, olive, etc.)

I would say I follow this perhaps 3/4 of the time. Olive oil and sugars always get me haha...

1. No added salt

2. Whole foods

3. Tons of veggies, especially greens

I eat clean pretty much all the time, except for a restaurant visit once every month or two and my scoop of gemma that I use for an after workout shake. That will be eliminated once I am out of gemma.

To me eating clean means eating the right foods for our biology: whole plants (no oils or refined sugars). Other issues are of a much lesser priority, as the body has a large capacity for healing once the digestive burden of animal foods and oils are removed from the picture. Whether you focus on starches, or instead eat tons of greens and fruit, the end result will be very similar: near optimal healing potential. The key is realizing that replacing animal food and oils with whole plants is the key to health. I do find it quite annoying that "clean bulking" to regular folks means eating lots of skinless chicken and fish and low fat dairy - all foods proven to cause disease build-up through waste products. The irony is that people every day are diagnosed with high cholesterol, blood pressure, etc., from eating such a "clean" diet - and they just don't understand why. Animal foods are "dirty" fuel for the herbivorous human machine!