give blood

xjohanx

Have you donated blood?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm thinking about starting to donate blood (to the healthcare) and I thought it would be fun to hear what other forum members experiences/opinions are on this topic. I'm also wondering how long I have to rest from training after donating. I've heard everything from 6 hours till 7 days.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I donated blood once, around 15 years ago. I don't remember it very well. I think I was a little bit lightheaded immediately after, but didn't take long to recover.

Shortly after that, the US Red Cross (the major blood organization) stared forbidding people who had spent significant amounts of time in the UK from donating blood. Because I had lived in the UK for a year, I couldn't donate any more.

Now that I am living in the UK again, I assume I can donate again!

I donate blood regularly. I don't exercise on the day of a donation. I once did and felt all right but it's not a good idea. In the UK we get a booklet sent to us two or three times a year which has facts about blood donation. The latest one says that haemoglobin levels can take 6 - 12 weeks to get back to normal after a donation. The haemoglobin carries oxygen round the body. I have often done strenuous exercise two days after donating, including weight training and have never suffered any adverse effects.

I don't, and I know I should. It's one of my secret shames. I've kind of been relying on the rationalization that I'm AB+ (the only people who can use my blood are other AB+s, and we're the ones who can take absolutely anybody's blood - we're the universal recipient). It's not a good reason at all; there are AB+ people who need blood, and there are blood products that could be made from my donation that really are needed.

I've given blood over 30 times, and it's something that I'm very proud of. Although I am a little disappointed in myself that I haven't done it more times. I've been donating since I was 17 and should have over 60 donations by now, but things often get in the way. I have O-neg blood which makes me the universal donor; my blood can be given to anyone. It's actually quite an enjoyable experience and I've never had any problems with training or recovery. I usually take the day off of training, although on occasion I've run before or afterwards.

I'm going to make an appointment for next week.

I have been donating since I was 17, about 4 times per year. In college, I donated much more regularly since the Red Cross came to campus pretty frequently and I had more time. About 5 or 6 times I have been refused since my iron was too low. This happened as an omni as well as while vegan. It happened the last time I tried - iron too low, go eat some liver The time before that, though, my iron was high enough to do a double red donation. If you can do that, I recommend it. I felt great after a double red donation. It takes bit longer and you will feel cold when they put the saline (not sure exactly what they give you back for fluids actually) back.

Normally after donating, I am worn out for a couple of days. I don't typically alter my exercise routine ( I workout in the morning and donate in the evening) though and I don't notice anything different aside from tiredness.

As far as during the donation, 90% of the time I am fine. Occassionally, I will get a little light headed. If you let the tech know they will put your feet up and head down. No biggie, as long as you let them know. (I have seen a few guys pass out over the years while or just after donating.) I get light-headed when I don't eat something before donating or I am not hydrated enough.

You should drink lots of fluids and eat something before donating. They tell you not to lift anything heavy for about 5 hours after donating so plan your workouts around that (workout before hand or do lower body only after). I would also recommend donating with your non-dominant arm since you use it less - that works for me.

Good luck!

I respect the people who donate blood, I think it's a great act of generosity and kindness, it can help many people and save lives. I often wanted to do it too -- but not anymore.

Some people are gonna be shocked by what I,m gonna say:

I think it's cannibalism, modern canibalism. Blood transfusions is vampirism,n ot different from drinking human blood. Organ transplants is canibalism too. Like eating someone else's heart or kidney.

Death, diseases, etc are part of life, it's natural (even when it comes from not very natural causes like cigarettes, etc) and one should learn to accept death instead of living with someone else's blood.

I think it's a wrong way to spend our energy : trying to heal instead of preventing. To much money and energy is spent on research about finding cures, instead of finding what causes all these diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle and nutrition. But there's more money spent on publicity for butter, milk, meat, etc. Result: more people need more blood and organ transplant.

I think we should concentrate on death causes that are not natural and that we could do something to stop or reduce, by trying to change spiritually : wars, genocides, homicides, famines (caused by unatural eating habits of rich countries). To me, those are sad deaths that could be avoided if we all work together. But when a person need someone else's blood, there's a reason, it's because that person made bad decisions, leading to the disease, and there will always be persons like that, who will always ask for other's blood, while we can't do anything to avoid this. What I mean to say actually is this: in wars, innocent civilians are being killed while they never done anything to deserve dying. While on the other part: people who need blood transfusions or organs are responsible for their own situations. Except when someone is stabbed or shot, etc, but that's cases from the first category : things that should have never happened in the first place if we would try solving the problems at the source.

I've done it about 4 or 5 times. I used to go to the gym right afterwards when I was in college and lifting heavy. I wouldn't recommend that. Now, I usually have to get up early on a weekend to get to the place ( if they had better hours they would get more blood ) and I just read or hang for the afternoon.

You should heed their warnings for rest, but I don't think it is as incapacitating as they would have you think. You shouldn't need to take off more than a day.

As I'm Gay I'm in the same boat as wobby lifter.

They will take blood, they just wont use it for blood banks etc. I figure as they are essentially throwing it away then I might as well keep my filthy homo blood inside me

Aside from being offended by the policies (which I could totally understand), there are a lot of blood products they can make without using your blood for a regular transfusion. My type AB+ blood would probably be used in the same way. They still need it (I really need to go make an appointment now, hehe).

They will take blood, they just wont use it for blood banks etc. I figure as they are essentially throwing it away then I might as well keep my filthy homo blood inside me

Maybe they don't throw it away.

I always imagined of the possibility that a blood bank could be run by a vampire( Or Dracula ) So maybe the blood they don't use they give to Dracula whom they keep in the cellar.

I don't understand anyways why being Gay is a problem for them. The Aids myth for Gay people is really old and kind of stupid. Anyone can get AIDS.

Maybe they don't throw it away.

I always imagined of the possibility that a blood bank could be run by a vampire( Or Dracula ) So maybe the blood they don't use they give to Dracula whom they keep in the cellar.

I don't understand anyways why being Gay is a problem for them. The Aids myth for Gay people is really old and kind of stupid. Anyone can get AIDS.

I'm sure they use it for something. I will just not give blood due to the assumptions they make because of my sexuality, it's a matter of principal for me.

Here is how they put it "However, 'protected sex' is not 100% effective and therefore the Australian Red Cross Blood Service's guidelines relating to sexual activity are based on the prevalence of infection in certain population groups"

You can give blood if you have not engaged in sexual activity for a year! I'm certainly no Hussy, but I like to have sexual more often than on an annual basis!

I realise that there are Homosexual people who engage in high risk sexual activities. The simple fact is I am not one of them, I have never done anything that wasn't safe and never will. I know a large number of hetrosexual people who engage in unprotected sex with mulitple partners who give blood. I think the questions regarding eligibility can be changed to reflect more on the risk involved from certain behaviours rather than making assumptions based on people's sexuality.

I heard somewhere (Dr. Richard Shutlze) that if you have even significant blood loss, you can build it back to normal in 24 hours by drinking the juice of carrots, beets, beet greens, and also green leafy vegetables. So if we can't get the juice into people who need blood transfusions, we could drink it after giving blood! Btw even if you don't have a juicer you can blend it up with a little water (it's more effective too), and then put it through a nut mylk bag/cheese cloth/or any clean fabric.

I haven't donated in years, only because I have a very rare blood type and it is rarely needed.

My understanding is that all blood types, especially rare types, are needed. Are you notified if there is a need for your blood type?

The whole 'gay people can't donate' thing sucks. It should be based on what you have done, sexual or non-sexual, that may have caused your blood to be infected. Like Sydneyvegan said, promiscuous straight people are allowed to give blood but are just as risky.

I knew people in college who donated just to find out if they were clean! Made me sick....

I'm your man - What about the perfectly healthy, fit VEGANS of the world who are involved in accidents and need blood to stay alive? Should they, and their families, just accept death and not take a blood transfusion?

hey everybody thanks for the responses. it's fun to read all about this. I'm really siked to start giving blood now. I think there's like a limit in Sweden that allows you to give blood not more than 4 times per year.

According to a doctor I spoke to there's about a 1 in a thousand chance that blood that is infected with HIV won't get detected so I understand that there is great precaution when it comes do deciding which social groups are allowed to donate. In Sweden research has shown that around 2,5-3% of the population is gay/bi but the homosexuals represent 50% of the hiv infected. I'm not saying it's fair that the gays aren't allowed to donate blood, I'm just saying it is understandable.

It is understandable that gays are not allowed to donate blood.

The advise posted above to drink lots of raw vegetable juices, especially beets, carrots and greens after donating blood is especially good. That will rebuild the blood quickly as will wheatgrass juice and algaes. The chlorophyll in the greens has virtually the same molecular structure as hemoglobin. Only the central molecule differs.

Blue_butterfly_2.gif.d807c557223673be4f9a8e7cee653f74.gif

BUTTERFLIES CAN"T DONATE BLOOD.

Edited by Anonymous

lucky for me that i love carrots and beets. but how does raw red beet taste? i only tried them boiled, i'm acctually eating boild red beets as i write this.

raw beets are amazing!!! it's actually not like potatoes, as I would tought so.

Try them in carrot-beet juice. Or a simple beet salad: grated beets with apple cider vinegar or my favorite : prepared horseraddish.

Raw beets are best, although the juice is so strong it should be mixed with other vegetables. Can be mixed with carrot, apples and celery succesfully.

I'm Your Man's recipe for raw beet salad sounds great. THe beet are a powerful cleanser and the horseradish is not only tasty but is highly beneficial to all the mucus membranes. Raw is preferable to cooked because of the active enzymatic content in the raw which contribute to overall health.

So powerful is the curative effect of beets that the famed naturalist Maximilian Bircher Brenner used them used them as the basis of its cancer cure at their Sanitorium in Switzerland : beet juice and a raw diet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Bircher-Benner

Also, beets, like cabbage and other vegetables can be fermented. We call it beetkraut. It is a simple process which can be done easily at home. Please confer our article on the value of fermented foods at http://www.viktoras.org/vikimchi.pdf. Just use beets or a combination of beets, cabbage, and carrot in the basic recipe.

Just a word of caution. Beets are higher laxative in their effect. Don't eat too many until your system adjusts to them. Introduce them gradually, especially when in juice form.

Here's to your health.

Moon_and_star.gif.8475a56b1892e0bacd69f373d82e139c.gif

Eating and drinking beets is good.

Those recipes with beets sound sooo good. If you're not a raw vegan, a good cold bowl of borscht is incredibly refreshing in the summer as well! There's probably even a way to make a raw borscht-type dish as well.

I respect the people who donate blood, I think it's a great act of generosity and kindness, it can help many people and save lives. I often wanted to do it too -- but not anymore.

Some people are gonna be shocked by what I,m gonna say:

I think it's cannibalism, modern canibalism. Blood transfusions is vampirism,n ot different from drinking human blood. Organ transplants is canibalism too. Like eating someone else's heart or kidney.

Death, diseases, etc are part of life, it's natural (even when it comes from not very natural causes like cigarettes, etc) and one should learn to accept death instead of living with someone else's blood.

I think it's a wrong way to spend our energy : trying to heal instead of preventing. To much money and energy is spent on research about finding cures, instead of finding what causes all these diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle and nutrition. But there's more money spent on publicity for butter, milk, meat, etc. Result: more people need more blood and organ transplant.

I think we should concentrate on death causes that are not natural and that we could do something to stop or reduce, by trying to change spiritually : wars, genocides, homicides, famines (caused by unatural eating habits of rich countries). To me, those are sad deaths that could be avoided if we all work together. But when a person need someone else's blood, there's a reason, it's because that person made bad decisions, leading to the disease, and there will always be persons like that, who will always ask for other's blood, while we can't do anything to avoid this. What I mean to say actually is this: in wars, innocent civilians are being killed while they never done anything to deserve dying. While on the other part: people who need blood transfusions or organs are responsible for their own situations. Except when someone is stabbed or shot, etc, but that's cases from the first category : things that should have never happened in the first place if we would try solving the problems at the source.

Hmm, that's interesting. I agree with some of what you say: death is natural, we should work on prevention.

However, I don't buy your conclusion. Death is natural, but fighting to stay alive is just as natural. So if you saw someone get hit by a car and she was lying there dying and you were the only person around to help, you would walk away and leave her to die because death is natural and we should be working on preventing car accidents instead of treating accident victims? Or would you help her?

Yes, it's very important to work on prevention of disease and violence and the other things that can lead to "premature" death. But while we do that, there are going to be plenty of people who are sick and injured and could be saved by blood or an organ. To suggest that we should just let those people die because prevention is important makes no sense at all.

If it were you and you could have a blood transfusion and live or refuse one and die, how would you choose?